Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2015, 09:14 PM   #1

Overnight Stops

I will be making my way from Dallas to Wyoming next week. This is my first trip. I am assuming that I can make 400 miles a day which means it is a three day trip. In the past, I would make the trip in one day.

For the stop overs, should I unhook the RV or can I leave it attached to the truck? I am planning to stay in RV parks overnight, not waysides.

I am clueless how far I can go in the truck before needing diesel. So, normally I would take 287 to Amarillo an cut across to Raton. This is all state highways. I'm thing I would be safer using just interstates with lots of truck stops for fuel. Is this just being paranoid?

Thanks,
bergeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:24 PM   #2

On my old SOB . I used to stay hooked up... with my RW , I unhook for several reasons :
#1- with the level up , its so darn fast and easy to hitch and unhitch
#2 - this trailer has been a bit nose high , so unhooking and using the auto level feature made my family much happier when they would NOT roll off the bed
#3 - since I just leveled the trailer , I will try for the manual use of the level system on my next long ride and stay hooked up..
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:40 PM   #3

Scott,
If I'm on a fairly level spot that is long enough, I don't unhook. I manually lower the middle and rear jacks just to firm the rig up a bit.

As far as fuel, I carry 87 gallons with my 50 gal tank in the bed. I average about 10 mpg. I worry about the same thing when towing on an unfamiliar route. There is an app, Trucker Path that shows truck stops, rest areas and truck parking. You might want to check it out:
https://truckerpath.com/apps/

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:09 PM   #4

Bergeman do you have the standard fuel tank, you could probably travel 200-250 miles between fill ups. There are some areas you're traveling in where fuel stops are far apart. As far as overnight stops, a lot nights I stop while traveling, I stay hooked up.

Fred
Old 10-08-2015, 10:19 PM   #5

We were in Cave city ky 2 weekends ago, a RW from Arizona came in for an overnight and did not unhook just put the slides out and did nothing with the level up (extremely level sites)

can't help you with the fuel, I have a gas truck and start looking around 275 miles for a place to stop. I look for a place with the pumps parallel with the road, in one side out the other.

Jim & Susie, 2014 36FL, 2012 F-250 6.2 trailer saver TS3
superduty glampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:05 PM   #6
Site Team

It depends on the site while camping. I've left mine hooked up several time when just staying over night. As far as fuel, the wind and hills will have an effect on how far you can drive on a tank of fuel. I usually didn't let my fuel tank get much below 2/3 before I started looking for fuel.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:16 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergeman View Post
I will be making my way from Dallas to Wyoming next week. This is my first trip. I am assuming that I can make 400 miles a day which means it is a three day trip. In the past, I would make the trip in one day.

For the stop overs, should I unhook the RV or can I leave it attached to the truck? I am planning to stay in RV parks overnight, not waysides.

I am clueless how far I can go in the truck before needing diesel. So, normally I would take 287 to Amarillo an cut across to Raton. This is all state highways. I'm thing I would be safer using just interstates with lots of truck stops for fuel. Is this just being paranoid?

Thanks,
I just came off a 4100 mile trip. I went on goods Sams trip planner and found parks to stop along the way. I set a limit of 450 miles a day. We would leave at 6am and be in a park around 3pm. This included fuel and pee breaks along the way. Very restful trip. I would fuel between 250 and 300 miles. This was with a truck with 1000 miles on it. I averaged 9 mpg but 1/2 of that was mountain driving.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:19 PM   #8

If we can avoid it, we won't unhook for an overnite stop, but will put jacks down to just help stabilize things. We generally run between 225 to 275 miles between fill-ups with our 36 gal tank, I will push it further is I know there is a Pilot or Flying J ahead. We try to use Pilots and Flying Js as we have the Good Sam/Pilot RV Plus Card and the way we're setup with them we get 8 cents off the cash price, swipe our card work through their menu, enter on code, pump fuel and we're on our way.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 02:25 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:

Thanks,

When we are in transit, I always try to get a pull through site. That way I can stay hooked up to the truck, then, I level the trailer manually using the Level-Up system. I have always been able to get close enough to level and with the jacks down the trailer is relatively stable.

My RAM has a 35 gallon tank, so, I generally start looking for a refueling stop at 275 to 300 miles.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 02:58 AM   #10

Wow! 450 miles a day, that's 2 weeks worth for us as we usually travel about 250 miles park & stay a week. We usually always unhook because after 250-300 miles we need fuel & I hate going in the truck bays & can usually save 10 cents+ if not using truck stops.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 03:06 AM   #11

Good luck on your trip and new rig.
I have standard 35 gal tank so I generally start looking for my 1st fuel at 1/2 tank (170 miles). I always unhook because my last leg of 200+miles I can unhook and always find cheap fuel. Find fuel stops with a 13'4" tall trailer hooked up can be challenging at times.

I have driven Amarillo to Raton many times. Fill in Amarillo and it's only 200 miles to Raton. No big deal.

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:00 AM   #12

Then I can test the titan brakes on the Raton pass, cool
Old 10-09-2015, 10:40 AM   #13

Overnight stops

This spring we ran Loveland to Limon on I25 to E470/I70 to US287 to Lamar to Amarillo Amarillo. Road is good all the way and keeps from having to go over Raton Pass. I25 has heavy traffic between Denver and Fort Collins. We used the AllStays app to find places to stay.
rlmankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 02:34 PM   #14

I just ordered a tool box/fuel tank combo that fits under the rail and tri-fold (barely) and it gives me an additional 60 gal. 86 total so even if I were to get 8 miles to the gal, that is 688 mile range. That should give me plenty of options for refueling.
xtasee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 04:52 PM   #15

I was looking to do the same thing. It seems there are some federal laws against auxiliary tanks when tied to your main fuel tanks. Something about only being allowed on commercial vehicles. I do plan to do this though.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:55 PM   #16

Before I took delivery of my truck , I had the sock tank replaced with a 51 gallon Titan Fuel Tank . .
It fits in the same spot as the stock tank..
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
Wow! 450 miles a day, that's 2 weeks worth for us as we usually travel about 250 miles park & stay a week. We usually always unhook because after 250-300 miles we need fuel & I hate going in the truck bays & can usually save 10 cents+ if not using truck stops.
Do you guys really move every week? I hope to be fulltime in two years, but I figured if I moved 12 times a year that would be a lot.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford truck guy View Post
Before I took delivery of my truck , I had the sock tank replaced with a 51 gallon Titan Fuel Tank . .
It fits in the same spot as the stock tank..
That sounds like a good option. It seems the gas tank legal problem is in the same vein as the "class a" drivers license problem. Normally, Un-enforced but could be used to really screw you over.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:22 PM   #19

When we are traveling between destinations we usually don't travel but 250-300 miles per day & like to stop & see the sites in a particular area then move & the price per day if you stay a week is cheaper than daily. We DO NOT travel every day & just stop for the night, we aren't in a hurry to be anywhere imparticular so we enjoy whatever is along the way. Sometimes we will stay a month, but about 3 weeks into it we start getting antsy to move on once we've seen/done whatever we stopped to see/do. Typically we stay 3 months somewhere in the winter where it's warm, this year we booked 5 months, & in the summer travel between grandkids, Texas panhandle & southeastern Washington.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-09-2015, 05:25 PM   #20

Quote:
That sounds like a good option. It seems the gas tank legal problem is in the same vein as the "class a" drivers license problem. Normally, Un-enforced but could be used to really screw you over.
To many things to see & do to worry about all the "what ifs".
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined