Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2015, 04:34 PM   #1

Oop's

We had some rain yesterday that did this to my awning. Waiting to hear from insurance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WIN_20150811_09_07_42_Pro.jpg (91.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg WIN_20150811_09_08_48_Pro.jpg (122.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 08-11-2015, 04:42 PM   #2

Ian, you need to know that your awning may very likely not be installed properly. A little rain should NOT do this. I will find you a link to a thread, ours did this and it was repaired under warranty because many awnings were installed with FOUR SHEETMETAL SCREWS!! Stand by :-)

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:45 PM   #3

Here you go, look familiar???
http://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/...html#post32176
Check the screws that attach (or as in your case do NOT attach!) your awning rails to the coach. If they are the same, standard sheet metal screws that most of your coach is put together with, then call service for a warranty repair. There should be lags in there, per Carefree. It is unreasonable to expect a SELF TAPPING sheet metal screw to hold that awning up... They may as well have used chewing gum.

I know I sound bitter, but it was VERY TRAUMATIC for us.

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Old 08-11-2015, 04:46 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
The screws were when the main arm bolted to the coach came off .this does not look like that is the problem
Old 08-11-2015, 04:52 PM   #5

The arms look like they are still attached. Pos carefree set up. I just lost mine last week. Gust of wind folded up like a pretzel. Looked just like this. I was able to bend it back enough to get it closed. Was hoping Redwood would have a better set up than I have now but guess not.
azandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:54 PM   #6

Shane, you may be right, but I sure want him to check. And it's a good reminder to everyone to CHECK THE ATTACHMENT of your awning, easy to do. If it is self-tapping sheet metal screws, change them out for lags per the installation instructions from Carefree. There is NO LATERAL STRENGTH in the screw attachments, and that is where all of the stress is if there is even a slight breeze or any movement of the awning. It pulls straight out from the top of the bracket.

All awnings are designed to take a small amount of movement, and are designed to ease in if they somehow fill with rainwater to self-dump. I wouldn't expect them to do this, and we NEVER use ours in the fully extended, flat-out configuration. We keep a steep slant to them.

Check your fasteners! Lag bolts are cheap!

Old 08-11-2015, 05:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanyLife View Post
Shane, you may be right, but I sure want him to check. And it's a good reminder to everyone to CHECK THE ATTACHMENT of your awning, easy to do. If it is self-tapping sheet metal screws, change them out for lags per the installation instructions from Carefree. There is NO LATERAL STRENGTH in the screw attachments, and that is where all of the stress is if there is even a slight breeze or any movement of the awning. It pulls straight out from the top of the bracket.

All awnings are designed to take a small amount of movement, and are designed to ease in if they somehow fill with rainwater to self-dump. I wouldn't expect them to do this, and we NEVER use ours in the fully extended, flat-out configuration. We keep a steep slant to them.

Check your fasteners! Lag bolts are cheap!
I wonder if there is a way to set up a folder of sorts on this forum for "things you should check." This is a good example. Another would be the drain piping under the bed in the RLs - check for routing before installing and using your washer. In the FLs, there was some issue with the kitchen sink. There are things that have been addressed in the past, but if you're a brand new owner, you wouldn't know to check.

Vaughan is suggesting a new thread: "Known Issues," but it has to be something that's readily accessible and doesn't necessarily involve digging through archived messages.

Our shared wisdom may save our newbies some headaches.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Smith View Post
We had some rain yesterday that did this to my awning. Waiting to hear from insurance.
That for sure looks like wind damage... The mounting screws/bolts ( which ever was used ) are all still mounted in the sidewall.
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:00 PM   #9

It is a Carefree Travel'r, this was rain damage not wind and is still attached to the sidewall. My best guess is it tried to dump the water but was so heavy it just buckled the arms and maybe not.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:00 PM   #10

I agree with Ford Guy, that's wind damage, rails still attached to coach from what I can tell from the pic. They will handle a lot of rain (if pitch is set) & a lot of wind, but do have limits. The Carefree appear to be much stouter looking than the Dometic/AE which are the only choices.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:06 PM   #11

Yes, if the bolts (or screws!) are still in there, then it is not the same issue we had, for sure.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:25 PM   #12

Looks like you did not have the pitch set so that the rain could run off fast enough and not allow pooling up on the awning. There are little push buttons on each side that let you adjust the pitch and will help with rain run off. Of course if the rain is really heavy I would always put in the awning.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper Guy's Gal View Post
I wonder if there is a way to set up a folder of sorts on this forum for "things you should check." This is a good example. Another would be the drain piping under the bed in the RLs - check for routing before installing and using your washer. In the FLs, there was some issue with the kitchen sink. There are things that have been addressed in the past, but if you're a brand new owner, you wouldn't know to check.

Vaughan is suggesting a new thread: "Known Issues," but it has to be something that's readily accessible and doesn't necessarily involve digging through archived messages.

This is an awesome idea! I remember when I was still looking at Redwood and it would have been valuable for me to be able to see something all in one place like this. This is a big forum with a lot of information plus it is not the only forum. Great idea
Old 08-12-2015, 01:56 AM   #14

Quote:

Ian - I am so sorry - hopefully it didn't scratch your paint. The parts should be pretty easy to get.

Tracy- that is an excellent idea, and something we used to have on MOC. I attribute the fact my Montana was trouble free because I spent most of the first winter going though those lists and proactively fixing mine. Even as far as replacing the roof tape at the outside edges of the slides that were causing them problems.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Ian - I am so sorry - hopefully it didn't scratch your paint. The parts should be pretty easy to get.

Tracy- that is an excellent idea, and something we used to have on MOC. I attribute the fact my Montana was trouble free because I spent most of the first winter going though those lists and proactively fixing mine. Even as far as replacing the roof tape at the outside edges of the slides that were causing them problems.
And perhaps we should have another folder for things you should immediately expect to replace, i.e. the entry door, the bushings (?), the suspension......
Old 08-12-2015, 02:16 AM   #16

LOL! Sure, that would be a big folder, apparently, and getting bigger and bigger as the months go by. It's getting to be like I can almost guess the production time of someone's RW when they say what's wrong with it. Buy it then rebuild it. Really bummed about the way things have been going lately. Sure would like some good news. Hope springs eternal.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:19 AM   #17

Quote:
And perhaps we should have another folder for things you should immediately expect to replace, i.e. the entry door, the bushings (?), the suspension......
Ya - stuff that needs replaced before it gets transported ! if I keep rebuilding, I'll have that Mobile Suites I was going to get
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:45 PM   #18

Just met a couple with a new 2016 Redwood who love it. They came from a Quality Suites which they hated, had trouble every time out. Wife said it was a Redwood or stop camping, she got her way.....Ian
Old 08-12-2015, 02:51 PM   #19

Quote:

I think a folder like that would be not only helpful for newbies, but helpful for us at RW as well. It is much easier to keep track of an directly address issues that we can fix if they are all in one spot!
ChristianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:59 PM   #20

Update all fixed,tech agrees it was water damage. He put in larger bolts as recommended even though the bolts did not pull out. Final cost $1400 and I told you so from my wife.

I agree, not enough slope to drain the water and not retracted soon enough. User error!!!

As always thanks.