Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 01:53 PM   #81

I don't know if they have another phone # but perhaps you can ask the customer service center to talk to Randy in service. They are in the same building. He will know.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:54 PM   #82

Anyone know Randy's last name?
Old 08-29-2014, 08:07 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nTheRoad View Post
Anyone know Randy's last name?
Not sure what his last name is but he is the Service Center Manager. Everyone there should know who he is. Great guy to work with.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:21 PM   #84
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy View Post
Not sure what his last name is but he is the Service Center Manager. Everyone there should know who he is. Great guy to work with.
I would echo your comments about Randy. He is a great person to work with at the service center. I thought he was the shop foreman. I stopped into see him this past summer to pre-schedule my annual inspection this fall to make sure I could get in when I needed to. I also sent an email to Andi Miles with my list of small issues to be worked on. She is the service writer there at the Crossroads Service Center.

Rick, I see you have Firestone Airbags on your Ford F350 SRW. Did you install them yourself or have them installed? If you don't mind my asking, what was the cost?

Old 08-29-2014, 10:04 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
I would echo your comments about Randy. He is a great person to work with at the service center. I thought he was the shop foreman. I stopped into see him this past summer to pre-schedule my annual inspection this fall to make sure I could get in when I needed to. I also sent an email to Andi Miles with my list of small issues to be worked on. She is the service writer there at the Crossroads Service Center.

Rick, I see you have Firestone Airbags on your Ford F350 SRW. Did you install them yourself or have them installed? If you don't mind my asking, what was the cost?
I did install them myself. Prior to the Ford I had a 2500 Dodge and I also had Firestone Ride Rite air bags on it but I had them installed. It was around $500.00 for the bags and installation locally for the Dodge but that was several years ago. When I checked on the installation for the Ford they had gone up to around $650 installed so I purchased the bags on Amazon for around $350 and installed myself. If you find out the Firestone model number for your truck you can google it on the computer and many places will have them available at various prices and shipping. Installing them took me a couple of weeks. I would climb under the truck, on my back and work on them for an hour or so and then quit for the day. I didn't lift the truck, just did it all underneath. There was a little difficulty removing the DEF tank bracket and since I had already installed the universal rails for a hitch in the bed of the truck, I had to purchase some longer bolts to make the install, but the kit should install with no drilling required. Everything is made for your specific truck. You can also go on youtube and see videos of people installing the kit. When I got done I took it to the installer that did my Dodge and asked him to make sure I had done them correctly. He offered me a job....I laughed and told him that if he would give me 2 weeks for each install I would do it! Needless to say, he wouldn't. My son recently installed a set on his Chevy Suburban in one evening, but then he is young!
Old 08-29-2014, 10:44 PM   #86
Site Team

Rick.........thanks for the information about cost and installation. I have been considering a set of Firestone Airbags for some time now, but just have not been sure I wanted to tackle it myself. Being born and raised on an Indiana farm and a retired electrical engineer, I can generally do this kind of work unless it requires special tools that I don't want to purchase. I used to do all of my own vehicle service up until it got to the place I had to have a lift system and dismantle the vehicles just to change the oil or access a spark plug. That's when I started letting the dealer service shop have more business. I may have to look into this a little more since I can get free shipping through Amazon.

Thanks again for the info

Old 08-30-2014, 12:30 AM   #87

Rick,

What kind of compressor system did you go with?
Old 08-30-2014, 02:02 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
Rick.........thanks for the information about cost and installation. I have been considering a set of Firestone Airbags for some time now, but just have not been sure I wanted to tackle it myself. Being born and raised on an Indiana farm and a retired electrical engineer, I can generally do this kind of work unless it requires special tools that I don't want to purchase. I used to do all of my own vehicle service up until it got to the place I had to have a lift system and dismantle the vehicles just to change the oil or access a spark plug. That's when I started letting the dealer service shop have more business. I may have to look into this a little more since I can get free shipping through Amazon.

Thanks again for the info
I wasn't sure at first that I could do it since I didn't have a lift but my thought is always "the worst thing that could happen is, I have to take it somewhere to have it done". I wasn't pressured for time, so when my arms would get tired or I would get a little frustrated I just quit for the day and would get back to it the next day. If you look up some of the videos online it will give you an idea of what you are up against.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:07 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Rick,

What kind of compressor system did you go with?
I didn't go with an onboard compressor, too much money for what little I get. I carry a small air inflator with me and since I check my RV tires before I pull anywhere, it's easy for me to inflate the bags as well. I ran the lines and valves to my rear license plates I've never found a need to inflate or deflate while driving, it's all done before I leave the campsite headed to a new site.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:10 AM   #90

Ah OK, that's what I was thinking of doing. Can always add the compressor later.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:22 AM   #91

I installed Firestone air bags on my truck in about 3 hours. It's not real hard, you just have to maneuver around under the truck.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:28 PM   #92
Site Team

I used the Airlift 5000 bags with the onboard wireless compressor (not the automatic leveling one). Reason I went with the inboard is that although I do have another smaller compressor that I use for the hitch and as a backup for tires it is just one more thing to drag out and hook up. With the onboard one, just back up, latch and as I'm doing other things I hit the remote for the preset psi for the rig on. When you unhook, just hit the preset for the 5 lbs unloaded and it bleeds off to that point. I did cut the compressor trigger wire and put a switch in it so that when I set a pressure it will hold that pressure no matter what the angle of the rig is. Used one of the up fitter switches for that.

If you shop a bit, you can find both the bags and the wireless compressor for about $500 total without install. Install on a Ford isn't too bad, but if you have the factory fifth wheel with the extra bracing it's a bit harder as there are a brace or two that you have to work around. Still is a DYI job though.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:29 PM   #93
Site Team

I've got the wireless like Vaughan and I like it.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:55 PM   #94

I also was considering air bags but when I had my last trailer axle aligned I was told NOT to put air bags on as they sit on top of the axle which is where all the weight goes but to have helper springs added which I did. It added 2500# more capacity. The helper springs then are added to the frame and spreads out the weight.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:48 PM   #95
Site Team

First time I ever heard of that reasoning.

Have to mention that no matter what capacity the helper springs are, they won't increase the rated weight that the manufacturer of the truck puts on the door sticker.

The whole purpose of the airbags is to control the suspension movement, not to add to capacity. And FWIW, the airbags replace the snubber which is positioned right above the center of the spring pack on the axle ..............
Old 09-02-2014, 02:16 AM   #96

That guy is going to try & sell you headlight fluid & wiper sharpening next, basically is full of s&%t!!
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 09-02-2014, 02:43 AM   #97

I do feel stupid falling for his reasoning. The conversation started by me asking about air bags. He did not try to sell me on helpers knowing I was traveling and did not have time to have them put on. It has leveled out the front to back and rides better than before. I'm not sure why. Thanks for your response.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:29 AM   #98

LazyDays in Florida was feeding that to me when I was going to buy a Redwood there and use my SRW F350. They told me new springs and they would certify it for the additional capacity.

I definitely need airbags! Hooked up with the new truck first time today and it has the droops
Old 09-02-2014, 12:00 PM   #99

The DROOPS

Should have got the square fenders, no droops here
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

Old 09-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #100

I have to say the airlift bags and WirelessONE compresser are one thing I'm very happy with !
Purchased and installed at Camping World when they were doing the $39 install thing !!! could not IMAGINE doing it for $39
Closed Thread