Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2016, 12:27 PM   #1

Norcold Fridge Removal

Well...we were camping for a week and all was well, until I noticed a massive leak coming from the bottom of the fridge. I knew immediately (or so I thought) it was coming from the water line that goes from under the sink to the outside of back of the fridge. Soon after we got home, I went to Lowes and bought that 20' braided ice maker line and replaced it. Performed an operational check and still was leaking water bad. The only conclusion I can come up with is that the ice maker/tube assembly (the one that with the blue covering on it might be the culprit. It looks like the only way to replace it is to pull the fridge out.
So...here is the question: how in the world do I pull the fridge out to replace it?
I have a 2014 38RE.
Thanks!
-Jack

2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Longhorn
2014 RW 38RE
USN Retired
RAMN8TER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:31 PM   #2

Jack,
You are going to need someone besides yourself to move that heavy refer. I had to remove a similar refer from our previous Crossroads Seville a few years ago.
Turn off the lp gas at the tanks. Turn on a burner on your stove to use up the fuel in the line. Label your 12 volt wiring behind the refer so when you disconnect it you can hook it back up. Remove fuse from distribution panel for the refer circuit. Using a small screwdriver remove the marked 12 volt wires. Just loosen the lugs enough to get the wires out. Don't go crazy on extra turns of the set screw. Unplug both 110 plugs from wall socket near refer. Turn off the water going to the icemaker under your kitchen sink. remove water line from back of refer at the solenoid. Remove the couple of screws behind the refer holding the back or legs down to the platform. Using 2 wrenches loosen and disconnect the copper line from the refer. Important to hold the fitting with a wrench when loosening and re-tightening. Have some plywood and boards built up to the correct height in front of the refer. At the top and bottom of the refer there are trim strips that have screws behind them. I believe 4 at top and 4 at the bottom. Remove them. Refer should be free now. It is heavy and use 2 people to pull out slowly. On the one we had there were heavy straps on the sides once you pull it out a little bit to help with the lifting. Slide it onto your platform without damaging the face front/ stiles of the refer cabinet. Watch carefully for insulation that should be on the sides and top of the refer that you don't pull it out with the refer. If you do, just use some spray glue and reattach the insulation before you reinstall the refer. Make your necessary repairs and reinstall carefully. I would do a leak test on the copper flare fitting also after the lp is turned back on. A simple soap and water spray from a spray bottle to make sure it isn't leaking. We had to replace the 5 1/4" fans on our old norcold. Had a heck of a time finding some that actually had a cfm rating high enough to be used. Norcold had a cfm rating requirement and most computer type fans aren't even rated. Go figure. We also added some more insulation than what was in there originally.

Plan it out. Be safe and careful when moving the refer around.

Chris

And some type of disclaimer to use this info at your own risk.
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:05 PM   #3

If it was me and the only issue you have is with the water line, I would turn off the icemaker line under the kitchen sink, and purchase a portable Icemaker. The other option would be to use ice cube trays in the freezer compartment. I, along with help, removed a smaller Dometic from SOB Fiver several years ago, and decided after that, if my Norcold quits and I have to take it out, it will not go back in. It will be replaced with a Residential fridge!
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:16 PM   #4

Chris,
Sounds like I'll need quite a few hours to do this job, but I think it will be a weekend project.
Thanks so much for the detailed instructions!
-Jack

2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Longhorn
2014 RW 38RE
USN Retired
RAMN8TER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMN8TER View Post
Chris,
Sounds like I'll need quite a few hours to do this job, but I think it will be a weekend project.
Thanks so much for the detailed instructions!
-Jack
Regarding the weight, around 238 lbs I think. So slide and tip and pivot instead of trying to lift if possible. Don't need any major injuries to keep you from using your Redwood.

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:25 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
I'm with Rick
After having my 1st residential fridge I would never go back. I have had the electric gas ones for years and the residential I have no problem in hot weather kepping everything at temp. The others the hotter ot gets outside the warmer the fridge goes
Old 05-05-2016, 02:16 AM   #7

I would also just stop using it. We haven't used ours since the 1st year.

Mark