Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2015, 12:59 AM   #1

No street side "Scare Light"

So we're out on our maiden voyage in our 39MB..... last night while walking my dog in pitch black it dawned to me that there isn't a street side "scare light" provided on our Redwood that we took for granted on our previous Forest River Cardinal. Unbelieveable to me that Redwood would omit a light on the street side.
Duramax, Allison Tranny, 62 Gal. Titan Tank
2016 39MB 5.5 Onan, Residential Package, Goodyear G114's, Mor/ryde heavy duty Shackle/bushing upgrade.
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:06 AM   #2

Me neither. That's why I undertook the grueling "do it yourself project of installing them at each corner of my RL - just like a DRV. Shouldn't they offer this as an option? The things cost $25 on Amazon...
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:44 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
That's because they don't want you to scare the neighbors when they are out on their patio
I wish they would have put one on the curbside at the rear as well. That is where the grill is and is hard to cook in the dark. This is the next project for me when I get some time. It would be nice if these manufactors option lists were a lot larger. I sure would not mind spending more money to get the items I want installed. They could have another outfit install some of these add-ons so not to slow the production line. Similar to buying a new truck and the dealer shipping it out to get the extra options installed
Old 05-14-2015, 02:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time View Post
Me neither. That's why I undertook the grueling "do it yourself project of installing them at each corner of my RL - just like a DRV. Shouldn't they offer this as an option? The things cost $25 on Amazon...
Consider myself fairly handy & have done Harry homeowner wiring around the house but wouldn't have a clue how to fish wires thru the walls on these things....any tips ??
Duramax, Allison Tranny, 62 Gal. Titan Tank
2016 39MB 5.5 Onan, Residential Package, Goodyear G114's, Mor/ryde heavy duty Shackle/bushing upgrade.
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 02:36 AM   #5

The FL model does not have any scare lights at all
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:27 AM   #6

I must be the odd one, haven't used the scare light but once in 2 1/2 years. BTW, that one time the tube bulb burned out.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:39 AM   #7

We have not really missed the Scare Lights, did not use them much on our last 5er either.

Our light bulb over the door blew in the first few weeks, replaced with LED, no problems since.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:28 PM   #8

I had a scare light installed "by accident" on the roadside. The Splendide washer/dryer was transferred from our old RV when we bought the Redwood, the dealer installed it including the vent on the roadside bedroom slide. The unit packed it in shortly thereafter and since it was about the fourth time for a failure requiring repairs ("three strikes plus one") we had it removed and an Ariston discrete washer and dryer installed. The vent location for the dryer is required to be in a different location so the dealer installed a new vent. I had retained the original vent "plug" drilled for the original vent, the dealer used that plug and then covered the plug with a scare light. It was wired to the light in the washer/dryer inclosure and works with an extra switch installed on that light.

Not quite a factory install but it's served the dual purposes of a scare light and hiding the original vent location.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:34 PM   #9

I installed a motion sensored LED on the rear slide. It works great for the dogs and the hookup area.