Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2015, 08:04 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to LovinRVlife
Newbie Question (Auto-leveling)

So we are spending the winter here in Lake Charles with my in-laws in the driveway. I notice that after a time of being parked I can feel more movement in the RV. Should I re-auto level? Is this normal. Is there anything I can do to stabilize the RV for long term stay?

Is it okay to re-level the RV and if so do I need to bring the slides in when doing so?

David & Lisa
2015 F450 Platinum
2013 36 RL
LovinRVlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:25 PM   #2

It is common to feel movement especially if someone is doing something on one end of the coach while you are at the other end. In addition, if you have a washer and dryer the movement is even more pronounced. Some people install stabilizers to limit the movement. I believe they are called JT's Strong arm Stabilizers. I live full time in my RW and do re-auto level every once in a while with the slides out. It usually makes a slight adjustment and stops rather quickly.
B&W 3600 Hitch 25K/6.25k
2012 36RL, Disc Brakes, G614's, 7K axles, Combo WD, Awning Toppers
Full Time Since April 1 2015:)!
GA1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:46 PM   #3

X2 to GA1817 comments. Additionally, the further the jacks are extended, the greater movement you feel inside the coach. Sometimes I put blocks under the leveling jacks if I'm on a surface that's not real level.
Bob and Debbie (both retired) with Senior FurBabies Grizz (a German Shepherd mix) and Bailey (a Lab mix)...and sometimes a Grandkiddo or 2! Full Time RVers since July 2013 Redwood: 2012 36FL with sliding patio doors
Tow Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD with 6.6 DuraMax Dually
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:04 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinRVlife View Post
So we are spending the winter here in Lake Charles with my in-laws in the driveway. I notice that after a time of being parked I can feel more movement in the RV. Should I re-auto level? Is this normal. Is there anything I can do to stabilize the RV for long term stay?

Is it okay to re-level the RV and if so do I need to bring the slides in when doing so?

I re-level the Redwood generally once per month and/or after any rain. I have slide toppers, so after a rain, I will raise the front of the coach to dump the water off the slides then I re-level. I find that over the period of a month, the front of the coach will droop a couple of inches.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:46 AM   #5
S&K

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinRVlife View Post

We re-level with the slides in. Most of the time, we're moving from campground to campground; but as far as staying in one spot for an extended period of time (especially near the gulf), I'd bring the slides in (and lube them) along with the hydraulic jacks at least every two weeks.

2014 RW36FB
2014 F-350 CC DRW, 25K Reese, Roll-n-Loc, Rhino Liner
'Half-timer' - Full time retired, tho!
Ken & Shelley
S&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:12 AM   #6

I relevel ours at least once a month and I have to stabilizer jacks I put under the very back frame when we are going to be parked for extended times. I also put a king pin stabilizer up front when parked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151031_145807_resized.jpg (115.0 KB, 2 views)