Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2020, 08:15 PM   #1

New to Redwood

Just ready to buy a 2014 redwood 38GK. Are there any concerns with this model
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:16 PM   #2

I would pay particular attention to tires, and condition of suspension. The early days of Redwood had poor springs, bushings, and hangers. Also, many were equipped with 7K axles, which many of us feel were not satisfactory for the weight they were carrying. Have the unit weighed if possible, to see where you are, and know you will probably add over 1K in "stuff" before hitting the road. G rated tires are the minimum, but newer Redwoods are now coming standard with H rated 17.5" tires. Another point of interest is what you will use as a tow vehicle. A good way to start a quarrel on here is dually vs. single rear wheel trucks.........a minimum of 1 ton. The last is my opinion, others have towed with smaller trucks, but you can see my option in the sig picture.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:05 AM   #3

Thank you for the information.
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:50 AM   #4

Something I keep seeing is water damage....water getting in either on the bottom corners of the slide sides....or in behind the lower outer slide flange on the bedroom slides....Either way....the plywood slide bottom wicks moisture in and this plywood gets soft and eventually moldy...Check under all slides for this damage...all areas under slides should feel and sound solid when tapped....have a good look....this seems to be quite common and very expensive to repair (sometimes having to remove slide totally to accomplish this repair....use a bright trouble light and a small mallet (sounding hammer) ...tap lightly....solid / firm plywood will have a particular sound....that should be present everywhere.
I am seeing this damage on old and new units....Once you purchase a unit with this kind of damage your stuck with it and solving this issue..

Wes

2015 38RL 2016 F-450
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:32 PM   #5

The first thing most people go to are tires, brakes, hitch pin. I understand that as if it does not have G rated tires or higher of a reputable brand you will soon be purchasing some. You will find out if you do not have disc brakes you will want them. All that costs money. I would suggest that you closely inspect the roof, especially at both end cap seals especially. I would then closely inspect the underside of all slides especially at the ends. I would have a professional inspect the RV and then I would go over it as well. An extended warranty will cover most mechanical breakdowns and you can always add upgrades as you want but no warranty will cover water damage and rot. I caution you once again on this issue as it will break your heart. I have heard too many horror stories on this and the Facebook website about water damage. One guy recently found water damage on a brand new unit on the dealers lot!!!!
B&W 3600 Hitch 25K/6.25k
2012 36RL, Disc Brakes, G614's, 7K axles, Combo WD, Awning Toppers
Full Time Since April 1 2015:)!
GA1817 is offline   Reply With Quote