Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2020, 03:16 PM   #1

New 2020 Redwood 4001LK - Thoughts

Hello Redwood Forum!
My husband and I just returned from the Tampa RV show where we saw the new Redwood 4001. Has anyone taken possession and if so, what do you think? Any issues so far? Very interested in your input.

Thanks so much,

Lisa Van
Sweetwater, TN
ljvda1221@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:57 AM   #2

The 4001LK is a unique, beautiful unit and probably one the best floor plans we've seen exercising usable floor space. Grand Design has a similar floor plan, although there are things about the RW we like better. Apparently this floor plan was a hit at the Tampa show, as I believe they sold/had orders for nearly 10 according to one of their sales staff. We don't own one yet, but here's my evaluation for whatever it's worth. A couple of things really stood out. There is a huge ergonomically designed kitchen with new SS Insignia residential auto ignition (no pilot light) gas oven/range (with 4 large burners) and SS refrig. with drawer, SS bib sink with SS strainer cover and counter space with cabinets galore. This kitchen is actually larger than some homes we've been in. There is a true 1 1/2 bath with double vanity in full bath including full sized fiberglass shower with a faux tile look and contemporary styled shower faucet. Full walk in closet off of master bath with no step up with a roomy master bedroom. What disappointed me with the 2020 Redwoods in particular were the black scuff marks left on the floor from some of the larger slides. This is something that we saw on several RW models at the Tampa show, in fact; it's a problem on many older models as well. There is now very limited carpeting at the transition areas, which we like, but instead of individual vinyl tile pieces there is linoleum throughout. Problem with that is, if there's a tear or damage in the flooring, it will make it very difficult to repair. Disappointed RW has removed the iconic red LED lights on the nose of the 5th. Also, crown molding is now 3", instead of 4". They are now using MorRyde suspension, which supposedly is an improvement over the Dexter. I know we're going to seriously take a second look although we're not in the market to make another considerable depreciative investment. lol
TireMinder TPMS monitor/Slide covers
Fusion backup monitor
PullRite Superglide 2900 Hitch
woodman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 04:29 PM   #3

2020 rw-4001lk

We just took delivery of our 4001 and the previous post is spot on. While inside this RV is more like inside of a home. Having certain rooms, if you would, is so smart of the floor plan. This is our first Redwood and planning our next trip already.
lsbtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 06:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbtex View Post
We just took delivery of our 4001 and the previous post is spot on. While inside this RV is more like inside of a home. Having certain rooms, if you would, is so smart of the floor plan. This is our first Redwood and planning our next trip already.
Congratulations on your new "home". Please keep us posted when you take it out on its maiden voyage. I'm curious how it will do and how you are doing in it. Out of curiosity, what are you towing her with?

If all goes well, we are looking to put an order in for one at the end of the month.

Lisa, Bill & Kiana (our spoiled Malamute)
2020 Chevy Silverado High Country CC DRW
2021 Redwood 4001LK "Big Blue"
ljvda1221@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 06:31 PM   #5

2014 Ram 3500
Old 02-01-2020, 07:21 PM   #6

If the floor plan is accurate, you can't get to the refrigerator unless the slide is open. A major negative for me. Also, the height on this one is 13'6", as with others, and the max height in Maine is 13'6". The refrigerator access is a no go for me.

Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 12:18 AM   #7

We are trading our 2019 340rl for the 4001lk. Very excited to take possession of it. Probably 2-3 weeks out for delivery
Striper05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 04:47 PM   #8

Good luck and safe travels ��
Old 03-03-2020, 06:58 PM   #9

Smile New to RW and looking for a 4001 also!

Hi everyone and thank you for your posts! My wife and I are looking to retire early and go full time RV. We really like what we are seeing with RW and have been researching what seems like literally hundreds of others …

One question on the 4001 floorplan and paint schemes we see on the RW webpage. We love the 4001 floorplan but do not need the ˝ bath … is there an option to order one with storage there vice a ˝ bath?

Also on the offered paint schemes for the 2020s … seems like there are only variations of black, white, grey, and blue and one with just a slight hint of tan … do you offer any other colors? We see these beautiful older models on the road with red, black, tan, etc. and not sure we want just a plain black & white coach.

We are looking for a dealer in our area (Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Texas) that may have a RW4001LK and hoping someone may have one coming in this spring/summer and would love to find a good RV show to go see and add to our research.

Thanks for any info you may have!
webberwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:47 PM   #10

We just took delivery of our 4001, and we love all it offers. Our paint scheme is the white and black. I think your questions would be better answered by a dealer. Good luck!
Old 03-03-2020, 09:27 PM   #11

We have been in our 4001lk for about 5 days now. The floor plan is fantastic!
Regarding the 1/2 bath you’ll be surprised at how handy it will be Loads of storage in the 1/2 bath as well
Exterior paint schemes were way out of our price range and we never considered that. Ours is white with black
The reasons we traded our 340rl for the 4001lk were: 1 the kitchen 2. The closet 3. The 1/2 bath
Because we will be in Texas for extended stays we opted for the 3rd a/c unit
The original 4001lk we saw had cubbies in the front cap and an option for an outdoor tv. Neither were options on our 4001.
If you want to customize I would suggest speaking with Alicia Tierney at Rolling retreats RV’s. She can customize DRV 5th wheels. I don’t think they sell redwoods. They are located in Oklahoma. Check her videos out on YouTube
We bought our 4001 from explore USA in Denton Texas
Our sales man was Brent Landry (little Cajun). Terrific guy
I hope this helps a little
Old 03-03-2020, 09:39 PM   #12

Smile Perfect!

Thanks for the info! Very helpful and we'll check out the vids and dealer.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by webberwj View Post
Thanks for the info! Very helpful and we'll check out the vids and dealer.
You’re welcome. Happy to help
Old 03-04-2020, 01:39 PM   #14

Floor plans within the RV industry are in a mode of perpetual transition, so that, models coming off the assembly line, may have subtle changes from one week to the next, based on vendor supplies or changes in design as the manufacturer sees fit, thus adding or removing "cubbies" in a closet, as an example.

If you're planning on doing some serious traveling, disc brakes are worth the option from the factory, or you can have an aftermarket MorRyde IS and brake system install. Pricey, but worth it.

Everyone has their own reasons for buying when and where, so it depends on your circumstances, but I personally do not purchase during an RV show. Although the immediacy is attractive, it's impulsive and dealerships know that, so rarely are you getting the best price. Case in point, recently an "RV show special" looked alluring, but later I discovered the very same model for several thousands less at another dealership. Maybe that's not always important, but my advice is to shop around and do your homework before doing any purchasing.
Fusion backup monitor
Old 06-12-2020, 04:49 PM   #15

We've been full-timing in a 2014 38GK for almost six years, and love the intelligent use of storage space in its design. But, while we're intrigued by the 4001 floorplan and kitchen, we can't help but notice the removal of all the overhead cabinet space. Seven cabinets lost, plus the pull-out desk, four drawers beneath the desk, storage (computer) space behind the swing-out TV, and less wardrobe space. Converting the half-bath to a tiny office might help alleviate this, but I don't think I would want to sit in a 4x3.5' space for more than a few minutes. There seems to be a move by Redwood (Crossroads) to significantly reduce the amount of storage space in all the new floorplans, much to our dismay. Instead of trading up, I guess we'll just continue to make personal modifications and keep the floorplan which works for us. Too bad - the 4001 does have a dandy kitchen!
Full-timing starting in August, 2014
AlanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
We've been full-timing in a 2014 38GK for almost six years, and love the intelligent use of storage space in its design. But, while we're intrigued by the 4001 floorplan and kitchen, we can't help but notice the removal of all the overhead cabinet space. Seven cabinets lost, plus the pull-out desk, four drawers beneath the desk, storage (computer) space behind the swing-out TV, and less wardrobe space. Converting the half-bath to a tiny office might help alleviate this, but I don't think I would want to sit in a 4x3.5' space for more than a few minutes. There seems to be a move by Redwood (Crossroads) to significantly reduce the amount of storage space in all the new floorplans, much to our dismay. Instead of trading up, I guess we'll just continue to make personal modifications and keep the floorplan which works for us. Too bad - the 4001 does have a dandy kitchen!

I totally agree with your comments, in fact; I recently wrote to Redwood to express those very concerns. If you're serious about looking into another RW in the future, I suggest writing to RW. RW is still one of the more sophisticated and classy 5th wheels out there. The reps at RW will listen to owners, but it takes a concerted effort, sometimes no more that 10-15 of their customers looking to purchase again. That's a fact because like all businesses, they look at consumer demand. They know at the percentages of people that take the time and effort to express those viewpoints via an actual written email or letter, is pretty serious sampling of where they should be heading with their product development. My point was that the average RW owner was a more discerning traveler and often a full or half-timer, so inhabiting one of these 5th's means you look for those tangibles, more than a weekend getaway couple/person. We like the 4001LK, but it's too heavy for my TV, so began looking into the 3900MB which is about 1/2 ton less. YET, I'd be eliminating many cabinets, desk storage and outside compartments. When I saw the new 2020 RW's at an RV show, I was pumped, but then I began to see the elimination of all that storage and prompted me to write RW a letter. Meanwhile, we'll stick with what we have. I'm actually planning on stopping by the Tiara dealership in Elkhart, Ind., in the next several months and express those very concerns to a sales rep I've come to know. He just so happens to have a good line of communication with RW's product development. RW likes to hear from owners their suggestions, rather than complaints. So, let them know, the more we speak, the more likely a change will occur.
Fusion backup monitor
Old 06-12-2020, 09:12 PM   #17

Thanks, Woodman: do you happen to have the address of a real person in customer service at Crossroads/Redwood? I would definitely connect with them with my opinions, but doubt that anything would come from offering it to the generic "Customer Service" dept.
Full-timing starting in August, 2014
AlanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:21 PM   #18

I'm not really sure how much RW really listens. For the past several years at the Rally we have asked for them to add the MORryde IS as an option and their only answer is that it would put RW out of the price point they want. Which doesn't make sense, as it would be an OPTION thus would not impact their price point.
Yes about the storage, we looked at the new MB models in Jan at the Tampa show and you couldn't give us one of the new MBs because they have eliminated approx half of the internal storage.
Guess I better get off my soap box.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 04:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
Thanks, Woodman: do you happen to have the address of a real person in customer service at Crossroads/Redwood? I would definitely connect with them with my opinions, but doubt that anything would come from offering it to the generic "Customer Service" dept.

This is who responded. Note, my letter initially was drafted and sent to CrossRoads/RW in Topeka, Ind., but it wound up being forwarded to Goshen, Indiana; Keystone's headquarters.

Tracy Peffley <pefft@keystonerv.com>

Thank you for taking the time to email Crossroads RV. I have forwarded your input to the product teams for their information and review on quality control and workmanship. Crossroads does appreciate the feedback from concerned customers and we will take this information as your input and constructive criticism for future reference on unit ideas.

Thank you again for your time and most importantly your input.

If you need any assistance, please phone our customer relations department at: 866-425-4369 8am-5pm, Mon. - Thur EST. and 8am-4pm Fri.

Thank you,

TRACY PEFFLEY
RETAIL ADVISOR
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2642 Hackberry Drive | P.O. Box 2000 | Goshen, IN | 46527-2000

As for RW listening, they do if they see benefits. Remember, RW is a niche market that includes luxury and sophistication. They are designed for those people spending months in their units, not just weekends. If their competition begins to offer more storage, MorRyde IS, or better technology, their sales will reflect that. As a rule, managements have fragile egos that need support, especially when it comes to novel ideas that bring in more customers. RW turned a lot of heads at the most recent RV shows with their residential kitchens and walk in closets. I believe they'll listen, especially if they can envision to increase their market share. My thinking is that companies would rather hear suggestions from their loyal base, than hear complaints. It's worth a shot.
Fusion backup monitor
Old 09-12-2020, 04:47 PM   #20

How did you get way up there? Not worth the step stools everywhere