Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2016, 06:20 PM   #41

Bushing Replacement Denied by Redwood

Well, here we go again, this time it is my problem (according to Redwood). My coach is a 2015 39MB, since so many of you have had problems with the nylon bushings that Redwood uses in their suspension, I decided I should have mine checked. Just as everyone that has posted on here has found that has investigated their bushings, they were toast. Some of mine were worn completely through. Redwood has denied replacement cost! This is their newest claim denial excuse "we consider this a wearable part just like brake shoes, so it is not covered." I have no knowledge of what they are using now and don't really care, I would never buy another Redwood due to there refusal to cover there two year warranty. If myself like most of you other folks spend a $100,000 bucks on a "high end coach" I would most certainly think the manufacturer would be putting parts in the suspension that would last more than 14 months. Buyer beware of those "wearable parts"! This has to stop at some point!
slideone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:24 PM   #42

Sorry to hear about this. We DID have our bushings replace under warranty only a short time ago, of course this was ok'd by Andy Cripe and he is gone now. ONE THING THAT MUST change is the terrible owner cost of new presidents! It's such a fickle industry. It's no wonder people fear and check so much, they have created this problem.

I would dispute it. A suspension bushing is NOT a wearable item... not in 2 years for God's sake.

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:25 PM   #43

I would add that the two year warranty is for ALL failures, wearable or NOT. Nothing on these coaches should wear out in just two years!!!! Not even tires or brakes. That's unreasonable. My salesman said, "You cannot HAVE an expense on this coach in the first two years, it's ALL COVERED."

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:48 PM   #44

try and reference this post from last year.. See if it helps , it is from Andy Cripe , I know that name wont carry its weight anymore , but perhaps seeing it in black and white may jog their memory.??

QUOTE - - -
Here are our results:

1) We researched. We looked into all claims, both paid and denied, regarding bushings and found very few occurrences. Overall the NYLON bushings that we were using have performed well and to an acceptable level. However, we listened to our owners and decided to make some adjustments.

2) We have now changed to BRONZE bushings on all current production. If you have had no issues with your bushings we are happy to provide you the bronze bushings at a reduced rate through Lippert Components, the labor for this replacement will be the responsibility of the owner. If your bushings show undue wear and tear we will be happy to cover the replacement of the bushings with bronze bushings.

The on line store for Lippert is - Home page, however to receive the Redwood Special Pricing call (574) 312-6850, (have your VIN ready!!)
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:03 PM   #45

That is pretty poor of Redwood to take the position that a suspension bushing is a wearable item that will not even survive the 2 year warranty period. Thanks Lippert !!!!

Hell my Lippert Trail Air Pin Box did not last 2 years, (at least I did get Redwood to replace my pin box before the new management took over) I guess the Glide Mechanism that failed in my Trail Air Pin Box would also be determined a "Wearable Item" these days !!!!

I have replaced all the plastic suspension bushings, thin / weak suspension links and wearing center link at my expense with MoRyde component's because I travel year round and having a suspension failure on the road is not a option for me.

Hell my Roof membrane blowing off on the way to Texas would also probably be determined my fault these days for actually towing my Redwood even though there was not any sign of physical damage, cuts, abrasions or anything I did wrong other than us my Redwood as a RV

I guess Redwoods position is many of these coaches are stationary most of the time or just move north to south with the seasons, so a marginal suspension is ok.

My 2 year factory warranty will be up in a couple of months, looking at an extended warranty to take care of problems going forward. At least I will not have to deal with Redwood approvals or their Dealer Network after my factory warranty expires.

Sorry for the rant, just been a stressful day and this post set me off
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:43 PM   #46
Site Team

Can't understand how the "new" management can refuse to replace a clearly defective part within the warranty period and expect to survive. A spring bushing should not go bad in five years let alone less than two. Just keep shooting themselves in the foot.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:56 PM   #47

Yes, I was quite sure they had been replacing them. The tech that replaced the junk said that was the very same bushing that he sees regularly on 3000 lb campers. Nice!
Old 05-17-2016, 12:25 AM   #48
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by slideone View Post
Yes, I was quite sure they had been replacing them. The tech that replaced the junk said that was the very same bushing that he sees regularly on 3000 lb campers. Nice!

Like I have said before.......I would not even use those nylon bushings on a 1000 lbs utility trailer, let alone a 16000 lbs 5th wheel. This is just another example of RV industry mentality. They just can't get past saving a couple of dollars in the wrong places and for the wrong reasons.

I upgraded the suspension on my 2012 36RL last year with the MorRyde SRE-4000 and Heavy Duty Shackles Kit. After 3 1/2 years and 14000 miles, those nylon bushings were completely shredded.........probably had been that way for a couple of years. It is incredibly poor judgement for anyone in the Redwood company to think that is satisfactory.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:07 AM   #49

As a follow up, to my discussion with Tom today in "customer service" and my fellow Redwood Owners comments, we have made the decision today not to come to the rally that we attended last year. Retirement is suppose to relaxing and having fun and it has been a blast, but I have no intention of driving several hundred miles to be lied to by these folks who call themselves managers of Redwood. I meet a lot of folks traveling all across this country, I have always tried to be positive about our Redwood and I am not a whiner. However, from now on the truth about how Redwood handles their warranty work with me will be at the for front of my experience with Redwood. I have already paid out of pocket to replace the complete brake set on both axles because it left the factory with the grease seals blown out and the entire brake package destroyed. #justaskmeabouthowredwoodhandleswarranty
Old 05-17-2016, 04:09 PM   #50

Is this the dealer or RW refusing warranty?? If it's your dealer, he'll him to stick it where the sun don't shine or call the Big Kahuna at RW. I wasn't reimbursed for the bushings/shackles (didn't ask) but I was for brakes, faucet, & a couple other items that I repaired myself.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:04 PM   #51

To be clear, it is REDWOOD, the dealer could not have been more helpful (Camping World, Chattanooga) and they are not even the dealer we purchased from. The dealer sent pictures of the bushings first, then RW notified them they wanted a picture of the axle tag so they could try and get Lippert to pay for it. Well we all know how far that went! Actually the customer service rep "Tom" said "we sent the request into Lippert but we knew that was going no where". Seems Lippert is controlling Redwood and their warranties now, isn't that interesting?
Old 05-17-2016, 08:32 PM   #52
Site Team

Quote:
To be clear, it is REDWOOD, the dealer could not have been more helpful (Camping World, Chattanooga) and they are not even the dealer we purchased from. The dealer sent pictures of the bushings first, then RW notified them they wanted a picture of the axle tag so they could try and get Lippert to pay for it. Well we all know how far that went! Actually the customer service rep "Tom" said "we sent the request into Lippert but we knew that was going no where". Seems Lippert is controlling Redwood and their warranties now, isn't that interesting?

That sounds like a copout on Redwood's part. Redwood manufactured the coach and their warranty is supposed to be good for two years, pin to bumper. Redwood should cover it whether Lippert does or not. It sounds like the 2 year warranty is as full of holes as the old 5 year warranty which was nothing more than a marketing scheme to add luster with no substance.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:37 PM   #53

Quote:
Just to see what can happen.... Did you reach out to Nate Nickell ? Try it... his email is nnickell@CrossRoadsRV.com or 260-593-3850

As you may know the name , he is the sitting General manager of Redwoods..
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:49 PM   #54

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
Quote:
As a follow up, to my discussion with Tom today in "customer service" and my fellow Redwood Owners comments, we have made the decision today not to come to the rally that we attended last year. Retirement is suppose to relaxing and having fun and it has been a blast, but I have no intention of driving several hundred miles to be lied to by these folks who call themselves managers of Redwood. I meet a lot of folks traveling all across this country, I have always tried to be positive about our Redwood and I am not a whiner. However, from now on the truth about how Redwood handles their warranty work with me will be at the for front of my experience with Redwood. I have already paid out of pocket to replace the complete brake set on both axles because it left the factory with the grease seals blown out and the entire brake package destroyed. #justaskmeabouthowredwoodhandleswarranty
So what's your beef with the rally? The Redwood factory does not run the rally. It is organized and run by Redwood owners for the benefit of Redwood owners. The factory is merely a sponsor this year and receives no proceeds from the rally. In fact, the rally is an ideal time for you to vent! If I were that frustrated I would put a large sign on the side of the coach saying "I'll never buy another Redwood" and drive it to the rally. That would probably get someone's attention.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:16 PM   #55

A couple strategically placed vinyl lemon decals on the coach would also make it stand out
Old 05-17-2016, 09:33 PM   #56

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJSIM2003 View Post
A couple strategically placed vinyl lemon decals on the coach would also make it stand out
As both above I would be going just to give them a piece of
Of my mind. The sign and stickers would probably be enough to get you complete new suspension
Old 05-19-2016, 12:31 AM   #57

It's got to be the new management or I was just lucky. Since we purchased ours in late 2014 there have been many problems that should never have been a problem but except for RW's quality control they have authorized my mobile service guy to do all work. I do have to pay him myself but RW sends me a check within a few weeks once I submit the paperwork.
My trip to the service center at the factory also went perfectly and all work was done correctly.

Keep calling and push it!!!!! This is a SAFTY concern for all!!!! How does RW deal with the law suits???

I miss Christian here since she would stay in contact with us even if nothing could be done she would make sure it got to the right people and I barley see any participation from RW anymore. I know we are just a very small group here but we are also the ones that can spread the pro's and con's very quickly and not just on this site. We all travel quite a bit and meet many RVer's who ask about our rigs.

Only way it will change is if RW's sales start dropping or we get someone who cares about the buyers and has common sense.

We had a blast meeting the RW team at the rally and now they are all gone except a few. What a shame but in 3-4 years we will see this again.

Steve
Old 05-19-2016, 12:44 AM   #58

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Yup I can't change my shorts as quick as the rv manufactures change management
Old 05-19-2016, 02:19 PM   #59

It is, indeed, a very strange industry the likes of which I've never experienced. Nobody is ever really "fired". They are simply recirculated.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 02:29 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
It is, indeed, a very strange industry the likes of which I've never experienced. Nobody is ever really "fired". They are simply recirculated.
Kind if like working for the Government !!!!
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote