Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
Site Team

What a shame!

Today I went out to check the water levels of my batteries and was shocked to find only one. When at the dealership, the guys in the service area showed me 2 batteries sitting next to my unit and they assured me that they were installing both of them while I was doing the rest of the paper work since it was getting late.

Last week my coach went dead while dry camping so I had to jump start my genny to get things charged back up. I assumed I had abused my batteries so I decided to look them over and check the connections.

Please everyone...... do yourself a favor....check to make sure you have both batteries if you paid for them.

Today I went out and bought 2 group 29 Interstate batteries and some cables

Edited by: Dave&Ginny
Old 09-23-2012, 02:02 PM   #2

I am sorry hear of your experience Dave. It just goes to show that not all dealers are equal in providing the proper level of service. I am sure glad my dealership stands behind me and my coach 100%. Dave, If you are willing to take a drive to central Iowa - I would be happy to provide you the name of the salesman that I bought my coach from. Super laid back dealership with outstanding service both in the sales dept as well as the service dept.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #3

What did your dealer say when you asked him about this?
Old 09-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlingman

X2 Could it have been a mistake and management didn't know about it?
Blenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:04 PM   #5

Dave I feel good about what you have discovered. I thought that you of all people would have found that they all have half truths. You are the one person that made me so weary. When I picked up mine, I asked them the same question (oh yes you have two batteries) (soooo I checked during a walk around and saw only one battery and I said I ordered it with two so after re-cheching they installed a 24 and 27 in the rear box) well that made me thank you. So I said that this wasn't going to work so they reinstalled a second 27. But with two 27's they are not the same brand and who knows what the pairing will turn out like. Any way folks if there is a dealer out there that really CARES let us all know, and you will become the richest person in the RV world. I as most of you have worked way to hard for my money and don't mind paying for a quality product, BUT give me a fair DEAL!!!!. Sell me no WOLF TICKETS and I will be your best client. (Sorry forum but for months of reading about dealers and there "QUIRKS" sends me over the edge. Where are we going? )(The checkered sports jackets) Good Night REDWOODERS OF AMERICA and CANADA!
Old 09-23-2012, 08:38 PM   #6

With all the problems we had. RV purchase 101. Never trust the dealer, especially Windish RV, in Lakewood Colorado.
Lillyputz
Old 09-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #7

they tried giving me one batteryalso but i caught it...then i asked about my 40#propane tanks and told me they wouldn't fit so i just left since i had spare 40s from my last fifth wheel
Old 09-23-2012, 09:12 PM   #8

I too only have 1 battery. Just found this out today. You would think that Redwood would have installed 2 from the get go. My dealer also said they had 2 batteries in there. My Fault I didn't check. I saw 2 vented boxes and figured there were 2 batteries. I didn't open the battery boxes up when we looked it over at delivery. Why have 2 batteries boxes if your not going to put 2 batteries in from the beginning? Didn't see where I had to order the 2nd battery on the options sheet. Just see where the 2 battery boxes are standard and for the full time living package you get 2 vented battery boxes. Seems to me that if they are vented then there should be something in them. Correct? Am I wrong thinking this way?

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlingman

We'll be having that conversation tomorrow. The thing that really boils my a%& is that I point blank asked them 2 questions and on both items they lied to me.

#1 I asked "is the water filter in my packet an extra one or are you going to put it in". The service manager said that not only had they installed the water filter but they also installed the "Dirt Devil" bag in the vacuum system as well. He then took the cover off the vacuum to show me. Since the bag was in the vac system I took his word for the water filter. Later I found that the water filter was not installed

#2 I point blank asked about the second battery and what type were they installing. He pointed to 2 batteries next to the trailer and said that those were the batteries and although they were generic batteries they were pretty good.

I did catch them on the LP tanks. They had the small ones in the trailer even though I had ordered the #40's. They did replace the tanks before I left the dealership
Old 09-23-2012, 09:42 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNDRPSI
I too only have 1 battery. Just found this out today. You would think that Redwood would have installed 2 from the get go. My dealer also said they had 2 batteries in there. My Fault I didn't check. I saw 2 vented boxes and figured there were 2 batteries. I didn't open the battery boxes up when we looked it over at delivery. Why have 2 batteries boxes if your not going to put 2 batteries in from the beginning? Didn't see where I had to order the 2nd battery on the options sheet. Just see where the 2 battery boxes are standard and for the full time living package you get 2 vented battery boxes. Seems to me that if they are vented then there should be something in them. Correct? Am I wrong thinking this way?
On one of the sheets from the dealer I believe it states a second battery in the costly dealer prep. The file is at my office and even though I wasn't going to go to the office on Monday, I guess I will just to verify.

These folks sure have my blood pressure high. I guess I can only blame myself. In business, my wife says I'm not trusting enough and I have to give people a chance. Tonight she's keeping pretty quiet because I did let my guard down on this one. Next year when I buy the new "BR" she wont want to be with me.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobys Home
Dave I feel good about what you have discovered. I thought that you of all people would have found that they all have half truths. You are the one person that made me so weary. When I picked up mine, I asked them the same question (oh yes you have two batteries) (soooo I checked during a walk around and saw only one battery and I said I ordered it with two so after re-cheching they installed a 24 and 27 in the rear box) well that made me thank you. So I said that this wasn't going to work so they reinstalled a second 27. But with two 27's they are not the same brand and who knows what the pairing will turn out like. Any way folks if there is a dealer out there that really CARES let us all know, and you will become the richest person in the RV world. I as most of you have worked way to hard for my money and don't mind paying for a quality product, BUT give me a fair DEAL!!!!. Sell me no WOLF TICKETS and I will be your best client. (Sorry forum but for months of reading about dealers and there "QUIRKS" sends me over the edge. Where are we going? )(The checkered sports jackets) Good Night REDWOODERS OF AMERICA and CANADA!
Yep...I feel like a fool. My dad used to tell me that there's 2 things in the world that can make a fool out of a man. #1 is a bottle of whiskey #2 is a woman's behind. Tonight I called my dad and told him I found a 3ard thing.....an RV

Edited by: Dave&Ginny
Old 09-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #12

You know I think that most of us RW owners will have our guard up pretty high the next time we make a purchase. And god help that dealer because we have seen what we are supposed to get and have. And I think that we are very much smarter after the first time. I also think that most of us will be buying another Redwood so that makes us even that much smarter about what to look for both at the dealer and from the factory.

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:14 PM   #13
Site Team

Redwood has tried to reinvent the 5th wheel with new ideas.....maybe they should let us buy from them direct and eliminate some of the problem.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:34 PM   #14

Dave,

Sorry to hear you got screwed by your dealer... When you get your BR tell your NEW dealer they need to SHOW YOU everything... I did after reading what happened to the rest of you.

I now have issues with trim popping in the bedroom, above the electrical panel, and on the staircase of my BR. I will be having these corrected at my dealer this winter.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:56 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPAjax
Dave,

Sorry to hear you got screwed by your dealer... When you get your BR tell your NEW dealer they need to SHOW YOU everything... I did after reading what happened to the rest of you.

I now have issues with trim popping in the bedroom, above the electrical panel, and on the staircase of my BR. I will be having these corrected at my dealer this winter.

Remember, if you ever have problems you can take your trailer to the factory and they REALLY do a great job.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:16 AM   #16

But why didn't the Factory do the REALLY great job before it left????? Why make us bring our unit back so they can finish assembling it?? I guess we've been pretty lucky, the only major issue we had was with the Washer drain hose, which was a rather poor design from the get go, but I devised a repair that seems to be holding up fine. There have been a couple of other little things, but we've taken care of them ourselves and fixed them to our likeing. We have yet to find a Dealship service department that we would trust to change a light bulb, yet alone something major. Happy Trails
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:34 PM   #17

It appears that there are very few reputable dealers out there. Stoltzfus RV in PA did the same thing to me . At purchase time I asked multiple times if unit had 2 batteries. After several issues with 12 volt system I found I also had 1 battery even after I asked the service dept they said I had 2 until I checked myself after talking with Brian E at RW. Also the dealer said slides could not be adjusted ( our one slide stuck out more in front by 1-2 inches) It took push from RW to get them to adjust the slide.
AE New Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #18

Sorry to hear about your troubles Dave
Come to Canada, our dealers have a smaller market to deal with and they can't afford to treat customers badly. Word travels fast and their income falls. This is the second rig I have purchased from our dealer, every thing they promised was done. Have not had to go back for repairs yet. Taking it in for 1 light to be repaired over the back door and that is it. Going to have the new windows installed beside the chairs in the living room slide. 36FL
Brad, with the trim popping off, this is mdf and expands, if it is cut too tight, it will pop off. Had that happen with thutback. Camping in Style fixed it no problem
Old 09-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #19

I sent an e-mail of the 10 items that "popped up" while on our month long vacation last night and Dan from Camping In Style called me today. We are going to set a date after Cdn Thanksgiving and the Fall RV Show to fix all our issues and he is going to winterize for me this year while the BR is in the shop. I want to make sure my washer and dishwasher are properly winterized. He also told me to go and get another unit to replace the RCA one and I will get a credit from RW,

I'm a Happy Camper so far... Dave leave you "piece" at home and come on up for a visit!

Old 09-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny
Redwood has tried to reinvent the 5th wheel with new ideas.....maybe they should let us buy from them direct and eliminate some of the problem.

DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!

Hey Dave
How was your trip to Maine?