Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2019, 03:32 AM   #1

Need batteries if parked with shore power?

I'm coming off the road and will be parked permanently with shore power. Do I need house batteries?
I did a test with battery switch off. The only thing that didn't work was the kitchen and LR slides. Bedroom slide worked OK.
I'll be in Arizona with ridiculously high summer temps. Would that influence my battery choice, if i even need batteries?
sheelister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:55 AM   #2

I'm no expert, but I'd think you'll be still need a battery. The converter, I'm thinking, will run everything but the hydraulic slide pump, but I'd think it would be putting undo wear/tear on the converter. One other question I'd have is running the furnace if the converter could keep up with the continuous 12 volt drain.
Hopefully someone with more knowledgeable than I will jump in with better advice.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:01 AM   #3

The converter in these rigs is like a large power supply....and is rated to run at the rated amp load (50 amps)...however a battery does take the strain off the converter....and also provides a "filter" for power spikes....as the next item that demands 12 volts fires up...(like a furnace) while other 12 volt loads are also active there will be a voltage drop....momentary yes....but it will dim lights etc....having a battery in line gives you a buffer to minimize that and to also protect the converters circuits from these instant power (amperage) demands...
Wes

2015 38RL. 2016 F-450
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:08 AM   #4

Plus the battery(s) can deliver far more amps than the converter can for loads like moving large slides in and out...momentarily the hydraulic pump during start up may trip something in the converter as amperage demands can go quite high.
A battery will absorb that demand with out damage...

Wes
Old 12-10-2019, 08:33 PM   #5

Thanks for these replies; helps our decisions! Now, I'll show you how little I know about batteries: do we need 6-volt or 12-volt? Maintenance-free?
What's installed now are called "deep cycle marine starter"; there are 2 of them; each has 6 spots to fill with water. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-11-2019, 12:13 AM   #6

6 holes total with two batteries ?(for watering)...if thats the case you have two 6 volt batteries right now hooked up in series (to produce 12 volts)....That will give you the best bang for the buck in regards to amperage....But you can use two 12 volt batteries instead (hooked up in parallel)....if you are going to be parked ....always plugged in....having considerable amperage available is not needed....so going cheap will be fine (two 12 volt batteries of moderate size)...also again if you are always plugged in getting maintenance free batteries will be fine....as the charger will keep them on float the vast majority of the time..Those who continually discharge a portion of their batteries....because they are on the move...or dealing with inverters....boondocking...etc. 2 quality deep cycle 6 volt batteries can supply considerable capacity....but need to be discharged and charged properly....using an smart multi stage charging system...
Sounds like your loads are low....another thought is you could get away with one 12 volt battery also....another more economical option....for some one parked ...on the grid...

Wes. 2015 38RL / 2016 F-450
Old 12-11-2019, 12:16 AM   #7

Sorry...mis read your post....you stated "each" battery has 6 holes.....your dealing with a pair of 12 volt batteries...hooked up in parallel....

Wes
Old 12-11-2019, 12:20 AM   #8

Just a note. If he has 2 six volt in series. Yes, he could, with no problem, switch to 2 twelve volt batteries. BUT — he cannot just take the old ones out and wire the new ones in the same way. Bad juju.

The wiring change from 2 in series (6v) to 2 in parallel (12v) is a simple change but as the OP did state he was inexperienced he might know the minor change is needed.
tangoparson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:30 AM   #9

Bad juju indeed....Good point....please get some help to swap out batteries if you are not sure of the procedure....as damage to you and other things can easily occur....There is so much power (amperage ) contained in a battery...plus explosive gases....Handle with care !

Does anyone know if the charger in these RW's (the one built into the converter) is "smart" at all ?...Our batteries are cared for by a Magnum multi stage unit....but if someone in relying on the on board charger to keep things happy.... does it ?.....Do they come standard with "charge wizards" or something similar ?

Thanks....Wes
Old 12-11-2019, 03:21 PM   #10

Thanks. Can see I have a lot to learn! Appreciate all the info. Going with 2 12-volts, as that's what's in here now. These suckers are expensive!!
Old 12-23-2019, 03:40 AM   #11

Batteries

All good info. Each cell on a lead acid battery provides 2 volts so 6 cells (caps for water) equates to 12 volts. 3 cells equal 6 volts. You do need at least one 12 volt source (battery) to support the converter for normal use when plugged into shore power.
Two 12 volt batteries wired in parallel (positive to positive and negative to negative) still provide 12 volts but increase the amperage for heavy/prolonged usage. As stated, you can get by with only one 12 volt battery to reduce cost as long as you are on shore power.

Retired and happy
Mike & Lizzy
2013 36FB Black & Silver w/ 2018 F350 Lariat LWB DRW Powerstroke
mjdcwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 03:08 PM   #12

Just keep in mind, with no battery if you have a power failure of shore power you're totally out of power, no lights, heat or anything. And if it were an emergency and needed to vacate the site, you would be stuck.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote