Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2017, 04:49 AM   #1

need advice on wireless backup camera

I've been doing research on backup cameras that would be mounted on the trailer. I searched this forum and general google searches. I'm leaning towards Tadibrothers but am confused on which model is best. they have a SKU90127 and SKU90117, other then the price and the color of the camera I can't figure out the difference. I know that I want wireless, and probably at least 75 foot range. I would want it to work as we are driving since we purchased recumbent bicycles and carry them using the hitch on the redwood. I would like to be able to monitor them especially after hitting big bumps. Backing up is secondary since my wife and I do pretty good at that. Most of the information from this forum was more than a year old. Looking for any help figuring best fit for me. Our price range is up to $300. thanks
robkathybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:56 PM   #2
Site Team

I just installed this one.
SKU97586
Wireless RV Backup Camera

However have not been on the road with it so can't really tell how it will work. I mainly want one to help with lane changing. I purchased this one with the rear view mirror monitor and like it. Didn't want another monitor on the dash.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:22 PM   #3

When I was looking into it, none really worked for my redwood... BUT that was 3 years ago...

Most at the time went for a wired solution since there were so much interference between the camera and the monitor... even when they ran the transmitter to the front of the 5'er.
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:26 PM   #4

I installed RearViewSafety cams on our Redwood about 3 years ago. Just some notes:

For continuous monitoring I had a real hard time with wireless on our Redwood. The wireless could not keep up with the continuously changing scenery. It would lock up the screen and often the car I saw in the monitor had already passed me. It was great for backing up, but once rolling it failed.

I went wired, and it was a beautiful thing.

Another observation, the field of view was narrow, if I'm saying that right. If I was looking down at the hitch, I couldn't see the traffic behind me and visa versa. I had to learn to get up on my ladder and tilt the camera for the type of trip I was planning (jeep or no jeep). I was even considering going to a dual camera setup to eliminate that. The camera on our MH is Sony, and it doesn't have that issue, I can see all of it.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:21 PM   #5

I installed the Furion continuously on wireless model that is most helpful with monitoring the road behind me and for backing up. Furion has two models; one for backing up and another for continuously monitoring. It came with a mounting bracket however I did not want the display on the dash nor glass mounted. At a Pilot J truck stop I found a mount that plugs into the 12VDC lighter outlet/socket for support and powering two USB ports. A second 12 VDC outlet/socket is required for the Furion display. There is a tightening nut on the mounting bracket plug that securely tightens the bracket plug preventing any movement nor rotating. The bracket cannot be removed from the lighter socket with that nut tightened. The support arm can be shaped to position the rear camera display to suit. It also includes two USB ports. The device mounting bracket is seriously robust and cost about $60. It worth every penny. The wireless camera is wired to the top rear and center marker light just above the camera. I leave the marker lights on at all times while connected to the truck. The wireless camera has flawlessly operated without any issues. From the camera to the monitor is about 57-feet.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:44 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
I also have the Firrion as Bob and am very happy with it connected the same way
Old 11-24-2017, 04:41 AM   #7

I have a Rand McNally RVND 7730 GPS and according to the manual I can hook up an optional backup camera. Does Rand McNally offer a backup camera that I can attach to my RV and connect to my GPS. I see they offer a wireless license plate camera, I do not want that. Will the wired Furrion FOS48TDBK-BL be compatible. I am leaning towards the wired camera from Furrion.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:26 AM   #8

My 2018 came prewired so I took everyones advice and got the "monitor" version instead of backup version from Furrion. Works fine at highway speeds and doesn't seem to glitch at all. Might help that I have it mounted on the dash with a lear line of site around the antenna.
boatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 05:33 AM   #9

thanks for all the replies. Rand Mcnally actually does make a wired camera that will connect to my GPS, so I think that's the camera for me. They have a disconnect so once I install all the wires I don't have to remove them.

https://store.randmcnally.com/back-u...ra-system.html
Old 11-26-2017, 01:11 PM   #10

I bought a wireless camera system at Quartzsite a couple of years ago, the setup came with it's dedicated wireless router (12V) that sits in the front bedroom cupboard splitting the distance between the camera and the truck cab. It's set up to connect to an Android device, I can use a smart phone or a tablet, I use a tablet because of the larger view. The phone or tablet uses a free camera app.

Unfortunately the company is out of business, but I think someone who is tech savvy could install something similar if they have a router in their RV, basically it's the same as a home security system and the routers are generally 12V.
Old 12-18-2020, 04:59 PM   #11

Rear monitor

New to the Redwood Owners. Purchased my second Redwood 2020 3901mb.
Need advice on rear monitor system. My unit is prewired and has camera mounted on rear window. What do I need and where can I get it? Dan.....
Dcdel62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 10:39 PM   #12

Are you talking about the monitor inside the truck? Mine came in the black bag with all of the paperwork for the appliances and the water filter and wrench. Touch-up paint etc.
Old 12-19-2020, 04:35 PM   #13

Ours was pre wired for the Furrion rear and side cameras with a 7" screen on the dash and love it!! Installed myself and literally took just a few minutes and a screwdriver.
webberwj is offline   Reply With Quote