Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2014, 12:28 AM   #1

My first punchlist item

I've been in my 2015 36rl since the first week of September, and found my first punchlist item for service when I'm not parked up. It was one of the 6 point legs leaking fluid. I re-leveled, and brought the main slides in, and returned everything to the extended position, to hopefully take a little pressure off, and stop the seepage. I also noticed a little fluid on the door side living room linoleum after re-extending that slide. No big deal, it can be easily cured at my first service. Four straight months in my new unit and only this little problem makes me a happy camper. I love my new 36rl.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:04 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Jerry have been in our 2015 RL full time for the same length of time.
We had the door replaced. And new brackets installed on the rear blind. Other than that everything has been flawless. We are very happy with this trailer
Old 12-22-2014, 02:35 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryL View Post
I've been in my 2015 36rl since the first week of September, and found my first punchlist item for service when I'm not parked up. It was one of the 6 point legs leaking fluid. I re-leveled, and brought the main slides in, and returned everything to the extended position, to hopefully take a little pressure off, and stop the seepage. I also noticed a little fluid on the door side living room linoleum after re-extending that slide. No big deal, it can be easily cured at my first service. Four straight months in my new unit and only this little problem makes me a happy camper. I love my new 36rl.
Jerry,

I'm glad it's worked out for you since I know you went into this with a little apprehension.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:24 PM   #4

I have been in mine since Aug.1 with no major problems. I had a loose wire on the Level up that freaked me out. Awning wire grounding out and blowing fuse; same awning light wire pulled out from wire nut. That could have been caused by me. I put a ball valve on end of fresh water vent to stop it from syphoning. That's about it.
Full timers Oct 2014
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:52 PM   #5

Mine started leaking hydraulic fluid, enough so the slides would not retract. Fluid was coming out at the front leveling foot. It turns out that the factory hadn't tightened one of the hydraulic connectors. The fluid was spraying into the insulation which had to be replaced. Make sure your fluid tank is about 1/2 way full. If not, there maybe more leaked fluid that you think.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 03:20 PM   #6

We noticed fluid leakage around the right rear jack. We were at the dealer for winterizing at the time and he said it wasn't a problem. Should I be more concerned about the fluid leaking around the jack?
JohnEileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 03:42 PM   #7

I've never heard of a hydraulic leak fixing itself so I would have to disagree with your dealer's opinion.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:02 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEileen View Post
We noticed fluid leakage around the right rear jack. We were at the dealer for winterizing at the time and he said it wasn't a problem. Should I be more concerned about the fluid leaking around the jack?
A seal needs replaced on your jack. To help prevent this in the future, wipe your jacks off before retracting them. The dust that gathers on the jacks is like sand paper to the seals. They recommend using silicone on them when you wipe them off.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:08 PM   #9

John,

I operated my jacks last winter when it was -10 and the right front stuck a bit, then started seeping all winter making the foot wet. By the time I went in for repair in May, it wasn't showing any actual flow so they wouldn't fix it and said it will be fine. It remained dry after that and I haven't given it another thought.

Maybe you have a similar situation.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:16 PM   #10

I can't begin to tell you how cheaply made the ram seals must be if minor dust is enough to cause them to leak. I don't buy the cleaning piston remedy as a cure for the seal leaking. After all, there are hydraulic cylinders working every day in environments far harsher than ours and those seals don't leak anywhere near as often as ours do. Personally, I believe the dealer's recommendation to clean the pistons is a factory CYA strategy; I'm sorry to say.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:27 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
I can't begin to tell you how cheaply made the ram seals must be if minor dust is enough to cause them to leak. I don't buy the cleaning piston remedy as a cure for the seal leaking. After all, there are hydraulic cylinders working every day in environments far harsher than ours and those seals don't leak anywhere near as often as ours do. Personally, I believe the dealer's recommendation to clean the pistons is a factory CYA strategy; I'm sorry to say.

Tom, I agree .......everything on these RVs are made cheaply.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
Tom, I agree .......everything on these RVs are made cheaply.
I would agree, but everything on most RVs is made as light and cheap as possible !!!!
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:24 PM   #13

The day after taking delivery of our rig I couldn't get the slides to open, adding additional fluid allowed me to retract the jacks so I could take it back to the dealer. The hydralic line on the rear curb-side jack had a leak, the dealer cleaned everything up and replaced the line.

About 6-7 months later I noticed fluid pooling on/around that same jack, called the dealer to ask what to do, he asked how bad the leak was, asked me to take pics and send them to him. After he analyzed the situation he advised to have it taken care of during the annual inspection [about 4-5 months later] unless I noticed problems operating the jacks. I just monitored the fluid level in the reservoir to make sure the fluid wasn't dropping too much.

When I took it in they ended up replacing the jack...all is well since.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
If course they are cheap - how many front end loaders have you heard "pop" through the night
Old 01-03-2015, 08:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
If course they are cheap - how many front end loaders have you heard "pop" through the night
Everyone I've found myself sleeping in the next morning !!!!

This morning we went to get the propane filled up since we are supposed to get down to the 20's for a few days and the wife noticed the right rear jack was down about 6 inches !!!

Man, I must have driven a long ways with it like that after doing the auto retract returning from our last camping trip !

so tested it again and sure enough, one more thing added to our walk around check --- make sure the auto retract DOES retract all jacks !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:06 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
Everyone I've found myself sleeping in the next morning !!!!

This morning we went to get the propane filled up since we are supposed to get down to the 20's for a few days and the wife noticed the right rear jack was down about 6 inches !!!

Man, I must have driven a long ways with it like that after doing the auto retract returning from our last camping trip !

so tested it again and sure enough, one more thing added to our walk around check --- make sure the auto retract DOES retract all jacks !
ALWAYS look at the jacks. In the winter I've had them slow down quite a bit and one stay down.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:41 PM   #17

Yep, when its cold they are a little more resistive to move and sometimes the controller thinks they are at their up or down limit. My daughter caught me trying to pull out of the storage garage with one down partway, but the controller said "jacks up".
Old 01-04-2015, 07:06 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Not saying they are not cheap but having been around farm equipment cylinders a lot, my experience is they will leak down some.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:45 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenhardt View Post
Not saying they are not cheap but having been around farm equipment cylinders a lot, my experience is they will leak down some.
That's why you never work under a hydraulic bed or bucket without blocking it. Many people have been killed without the blocks.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:34 AM   #20

Leaking "down" and leaking, are two completely different anomolies.