Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2020, 10:35 PM   #1

my bathroom fan is now independent from lights

Since we have owned the trailer I have been annoyed with the fact I have to have the 2 bathroom lights on to operate the bathroom fan since they are both powered from the center of the 3 toggle switches on the wall. I finally decided to take a look and see if it was just wired wrong. Turns out the fan wires are indeed connected directly to wires on the closest light. After staring at it for a while I figured I could put a switch on the negative side of the wires to the lights allowing me to turn on the switch on the wall powering up the fan and lights and then turn the lights off with another switch I installed on the ceiling. Since the fan doesn't operate unless you turn it on with the fantastic control switch I can still have the lights on without the fan. Wish I had done this sooner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg light switch.jpg (185.5 KB, 2 views)
robkathybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:25 AM   #2

Interesting, our '16 MB the fan is only operated by the MaxxFan control panel and entirely separate from all the lites in the Bath or is your reference to the 1/2 Bath?? Which we don't have as we went for the Butler's Pantry.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:31 AM   #3

My guess is that the fan switches are wired off the switched side of the light switches instead of the hot side coming into the light switches. Easy fix.

2012 36RL, Full Body Paint, Dual Awning, Dual a/c, Splendide Combo, Fisher Paykel dishwasher, 6.5kW Onan, Goodyear G614's. 2015 F550 6.7l, 4X4, Lariat, CC, 176" WB, Long Box, B&W Companion
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 02:18 AM   #4

mhs4771, It is the full bath fan.

r time soon, I thought the same thing. The wires from the fan only connected to the one light, and then another set of wires went to the other light, so power only came on when the switch on the wall was turned on. There were no independent hot wires in the ceiling, only when the wall switch was on. The Maxi fan controller on the wall did not have any power wires going to it, only the control wire going up to the fan, so I interrupted the ground wire in the light circuit only and left the fan connected to the positive and negative that get turned on by the wall switch. I feel like they must have done the wiring for the fan wrong only on my trailer, since I can't believe more people didn't have a problem with having to have the lights on to operate the fan. Like I said it has annoyed me for a long time.
robkathybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 04:15 PM   #5

Just goes to prove there is no wiring diagram that is followed when they build these things. So I wonder how many that Tech wired that way.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote