Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2023, 09:20 PM   #1

Musty smell in rv cabinets

I have a 2021 Redwood 4001lk and I noticed a musty smell in the cabinets near the fridge and near the stove. Anyone else have this issue?
Purplepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 12:40 AM   #2

We have a 2017 36RL and we had mildew smell in some of the cabinets. We found that the main cabin air conditioner was dirty and had to be cleaned. All.odor was gone after we had it cleaned.
Shastakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 01:41 PM   #3

We have a 39mb and had the same musty smell in the locations you mentioned.
I agree with earlier reply, make sure ac unit & any filters in the system are clean.
The area’s you mentioned can can have moisture build up from cooking with both stove and or microwave. Use ceiling fan to vent when needed.
We found, it’s all about the % of humidity in our trailer. We keep out humidity around 40% and no more musty smell.
When ac’s are running a lot that keeps the humidity throughout the trailer in good shape.
When ac’s are not in use, we have a small dehumidifier we run & set at 40%.

We are from Michigan and use our 5th wheel to escape to the south for the winter months. In the sumner it is stored for long periods so we run the dehumidifier during that time as well…��
Semper Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 08:23 PM   #4

Thank you.
Old 02-19-2023, 09:31 PM   #5

you could also try useing a ozone generator to kill the smell , you and any pets would need to get out of the RV for 1/2 day each time you run the ozone machine. They can be found on amazon, a large camper will need a 15,000mg output + unit. we do our RV every spring when we clean the carpets with a rug DR.
Old 02-20-2023, 02:18 AM   #6

We do cook a lot in our kitchen, so it does make sense that the musty smell could be caused by the humidity caused by cooking.
Old 02-28-2023, 10:09 PM   #7

I also have 2021 4001lk. Do you know where your ice maker shut off valve is located. I can’t get my icemake to make ice
JW2222 is offline   Reply With Quote