Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2018, 01:48 PM   #1

MorRyde questions

We have made an appointment to have the MorRyde IS put on our 38rl, April 12, and 13. I have also decided to have the disc brakes installed also. My question is, not being a full timer and will probably never be a full timer would you opt for the 8k suspension or stay with the 7k? I am leaning towards the 8k because we will be traveling to Florida next winter to stay for three months, so we will probably be taking a lot of stuff with us. Also I have noticed a lot of you have been installing 17.5 tires. When you install the 17.5 tires do you have to put a different size wheel on? I was told by a tech at Tiara that you don't change wheels to put those tires on. Also is there a tire shop in the Elkhart area that installs these tires?
Greg C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:00 PM   #2
Site Team

From someone who has all the mods you ask about, yes, do them. You won't appreciate the difference in the whole rig until you drive it afterwards.

Do the 8k, more weight capacity never hurt anything. Do the Discs, make SURE to change the setting in your trucks brake controller to Electric / Hydraulic. The brakes will work if the setting isn't changed but there will be a delay and the gain settings won't be right. Yes, you need tires and wheels if going to H rated. The H rated are 17.5 wheels. There are a few tire and wheel shops in the Elkhart area. I'm sure with a bit of research you could arrange to have the tires at MorRyde waiting for you.

Enjoy the change ! We will be there the week before you on Friday 4/5 for a suspension check and bearing repack. Probably will put new pads on as we have towed over 30k miles since the IS and Discs and are headed to Montana
Old 03-10-2018, 02:06 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick response. We are traveling to Yellowstone this Aug. and I wanted to get these changes made before then. I am excited to see how much of a difference there is in the way my rig handles.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:22 PM   #4
Site Team

Stop in and say hi when you're out there ! Tracy and I will be staying in West Yellowstone, Montana and working at a place called Madison Crossing in town. West Yellowstone is the western entrance to Yellowstone park. We will be there from about the first week of May till sometime in October.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:37 PM   #5

The price difference is minimal... do the 8K while you are there...

I part time travel, weekend warrior. I have a “16” 38RL that has more empty cabinets than full cabinets, and I went with the 8K just because it was minimal...

You will not regret it
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:40 PM   #6

Yes you can have Mor/ryde get the tires and wheels for you and install them as part of the overall package.
Our Travel Friends had the Disc Brakes added two years ago before the RW Rally and had the IS and 17.5 Tires & Wheel before coming to Florida in October '17.
We had all done to our '16 MB prior to taking delivery.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:58 PM   #7

Piper Guy, are you staying at Grizzly Rv? We will be there Aug. 25 thru 29.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:06 PM   #8

That sounds like us. We really didn't get to use ours a lot last year because of slide problems but i'm sure my wife will start loading it up when the weather breaks.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:07 PM   #9

That was for Ford Truck Guy
Old 03-10-2018, 08:54 PM   #10
Site Team

Greg - we will be at a small park in town called Branding Iron. Only about 10 sites and mostly workampers. We get the site as part of the job.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg C. View Post
That was for Ford Truck Guy

Got it.... Again, for the minimal cost difference go with the 8K... When your wife starts loading her up you will smile.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:26 AM   #12

To Ford Truck Guy and Piper, when you had your disc brakes installed other than changing the brake controller to electric/hydraulic was there a big difference in the gain setting?
Old 03-11-2018, 01:38 AM   #13

Quote:
To Ford Truck Guy and Piper, when you had your disc brakes installed other than changing the brake controller to electric/hydraulic was there a big difference in the gain setting?
With the factory installed drums, I was on HIGH - 10

Now with the Titan discs,medium-6.5... NIGHT AND DAY difference
Old 03-11-2018, 05:16 PM   #14

That seems to agree with what a mechanic told me about it. He said I would have to back off the setting or I could lock up the brakes and burn the tires if I wasn't careful.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:41 PM   #15

Quote:
We have made an appointment to have the MorRyde IS put on our 38rl, April 12, and 13. I have also decided to have the disc brakes installed also. My question is, not being a full timer and will probably never be a full timer would you opt for the 8k suspension or stay with the 7k? I am leaning towards the 8k because we will be traveling to Florida next winter to stay for three months, so we will probably be taking a lot of stuff with us. Also I have noticed a lot of you have been installing 17.5 tires. When you install the 17.5 tires do you have to put a different size wheel on? I was told by a tech at Tiara that you don't change wheels to put those tires on. Also is there a tire shop in the Elkhart area that installs these tires?

We ordered are 36RL 2017 with 8k axles, disc brakes and 17.5 H tires. Best move we ever made, when weighed at the Rally this year we were one of the few that were not over weight. One thing to keep in mine, the heavier axles and tires increases the height of the trailer, it is now just under 13' 6" high, we purchased a Garmin RV GPS, it routes us around low bridges, tunnels. After we left the Rally we went all through New England and then back to Northern Calif. and we were routed around several low tunnels and bridges. May eventuality convert to MorRyde suspension, had problems with Lippert suspension on the trip, lost a shackle bolt and had to limp into the Rally at Shipsawana.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2018, 10:00 PM   #16

That is something I have wondered about. My RW runs with the nose up and MorRyde is supposed to level my trailer with my truck and I have wondered if that might raise the height of my Trailer.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:09 PM   #17

Quote:
That is something I have wondered about. My RW runs with the nose up and MorRyde is supposed to level my trailer with my truck and I have wondered if that might raise the height of my Trailer.
When having the MORryde IS installed, they will do a few measurements and weights before they do anything... They will level out your trailer as close as they can without going over they state max of 13’6”... ( I am at 13’4-1/2” )

They will get frame measurements from the ground up, that will determine how high of a sub frame they have to build to have the coach run level...

They will also weigh each wheel individually, that tellers them either 7K or 8k... and it will tell them what firmness of rubber to use in the system...

Class act from start to finish..
Old 03-12-2018, 01:04 AM   #18

My actual height is 13' 5 5/16". The fellow at the RW Ralley told me I was 13' 8" when he weighed us, I about had a heart attach when I heard this measurement. Could not get a true measurement until I got home so really took it easy, went under a 13'8" overpass at Hartford, CT. and cleared it. I have springs so we may be slightly higher than MorRyde equipment.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:35 PM   #19
Site Team

I'm the same as Joe (fordtruckguy) I was at 9-10 gain before and with the Discs I'm usually at 6.5 and since I'm fulltime, we're loaded heavy. My height is 13'4".

As others have said, MorRyde is a class act. One suggestion I would make if you can is to stay in the area and do about a 100-150 mile pull and see how the coach rides and how everything inside is. They have a number of different stiffness springs and will do their best to anticipate which one is the b st. In our case the originals were on the stiff side so they wound up going down one in stiffness. Not much moves around unless I climb all over the brakes or have to swerve to miss someone (you will find the difference in handling remarkable). We even leave the coffeemaker and toaster oven on the counter.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:11 PM   #20

We are thinking of upgrading to 8k. Currently have factory 7k axels and g rated tires. The gold standard of suspension seems to be the IS. What about the morryde cre3000 with x-factor crossmembers?

The big question, what kind of cost are we talking to upgrade? How many zeros should I practice writing in my checkbook?

I should add we already have factory disc brakes.
BasilFawlty is offline   Reply With Quote