Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2017, 01:50 AM   #1

MORryde IS Question

I know many of you have this system on your Redwoods. We are getting ours installed now in Oregon. Ours came with a the oil bath caps for the axle bearings, but told they came greased from the factory. I was told MORryde has decided to go with greased bearings rather than the oil bath type due to problems with leaking. What do you guys have? I'm told the leaking was most likely due to rigs sitting for long periods of time rather than rolling down the road a lot? I'm thinking I'd rather have the oil bath type since we will be moving rather than sitting for long periods of time, but will now wait for that conversion when I'm due to 'repack' the bearings?

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:39 AM   #2

Do you actually have oil bath bearings or just the caps? I wasn't aware RWs ever came with oil bath bearings, even as an option.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:39 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
Do you actually have oil bath bearings or just the caps? I wasn't aware RWs ever came with oil bath bearings, even as an option.

Danny...........my coach came with the oil bath caps I think because I ordered the coach with the Kodiak disk brake option. I was told by the factory service center that I could go with either oil bath or grease bearing, but if oil bath, I would need to have installed oil bath seals (which are more expensive). The oil bath system is better as long as you don't set the trailer for extended periods of time (which apparently can allow the bearings to potentially rust). If the trailer moves frequently, the bearings are always lubricated. I finally chose to go with greased system.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:11 PM   #4

Well, we have elected to remove our 7,000lbs axles with drum brakes and go to the 8,000lbs MORryde IS system with Kodiak disc brakes. MORryde is shipping the systems out with greased bearings and oil bath caps. They never gave me the option. The owner of the shop doing the install explained MORryde has had too many issues with the oil bath bearings leaking, but was curious why they are leaving the oil bath caps on. Probably due to costs and/or it's how they receive them from Kodiak... but you'd think they would have to remove oil bath seals? It makes sense what you said Hooiser guy. I was wondering if anyone out there is using the Kodiak brakes with oil bath bearings on their Redwood?

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Old 10-12-2017, 05:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanyLife View Post
Well, we have elected to remove our 7,000lbs axles with drum brakes and go to the 8,000lbs MORryde IS system with Kodiak disc brakes. MORryde is shipping the systems out with greased bearings and oil bath caps. They never gave me the option. The owner of the shop doing the install explained MORryde has had too many issues with the oil bath bearings leaking, but was curious why they are leaving the oil bath caps on. Probably due to costs and/or it's how they receive them from Kodiak... but you'd think they would have to remove oil bath seals? It makes sense what you said Hooiser guy. I was wondering if anyone out there is using the Kodiak brakes with oil bath bearings on their Redwood?
There is nothing better then driving down the road with IS, Disk Brakes and H rated tires and not having to worry your under carriage is going to fall apart, tires blowing up or not being able to stop.

Whether or not it was a good investment, the peace of mind it gave me was well worth it.
bergeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:06 PM   #6

Exactly why we are making the change. What brand of wheels and tires are you running Scott? We have the stock wheels, which are pretty good with Goodyear G rated right now, but will upgrade to H as well soon.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:43 PM   #7

I actually posed this question to Gary Wheeler at this year Mor/ryde Plant tour.
His reasoning for staying with the Greased Bearing has to do with the heating and cooling of our hubs. Oil works fine on Over The Road Trucks and Trailers since they are in constant operation, where as ours sit for a few days to months.
If you do some search on Oil vs Grease you will get all sorts of pros and cons for each type. So I've opt'd to stay with grease as we've got just shy of 60K on our MB with no issues.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:48 PM   #8

I totally agree
rickc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:18 PM   #9

When I upgraded to the Titan Discs from Ron, my system came with the oils bath caps.. I personally like them better than the old school, tin, bang in caps.. I just run Timken grease with my Timken grease bearings..
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 01:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Exactly why we are making the change. What brand of wheels and tires are you running Scott? We have the stock wheels, which are pretty good with Goodyear G rated right now, but will upgrade to H as well soon.
Contact Ron/Titan Guy when you trade to Hs, I don't know what brand of wheels but they are almost identical to the originals & has 2 choices of tires, Goodyear & Sailun. I chose the Sailuns, they have great reviews & with almost 10k on them they have been great, the price ain't bad either.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-13-2017, 01:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Contact Ron/Titan Guy when you trade to Hs, I don't know what brand of wheels but they are almost identical to the originals & has 2 choices of tires, Goodyear & Sailun. I chose the Sailuns, they have great reviews & with almost 10k on them they have been great, the price ain't bad either.
With Sailun tires/wheels you can upgrade for just less than replacing 3 of they GY G tires alone.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-13-2017, 03:50 AM   #12

Quote:
My brakes and tires, Goodyear came from Ron. Ron sold me the tires with the Rims as the old rims would not work for H rated tires. The spare tire was left as original. I don't think I even need a spare, I believe Ron told me that I will never get a flat if I buy the tires from him. So far, he is correct.

The only question I have is why Redwood would not provide a set up like this. If this was installed initially, what would the actual added cost be, 1k to 2k extra.
bergeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergeman View Post
The only question I have is why Redwood would not provide a set up like this. If this was installed initially, what would the actual added cost be, 1k to 2k extra.
But then we'd never meet great guys like Ron. There's a reason for all things.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:43 PM   #14
Site Team

I've had the MorRyde IS on this coach for 4 1/2 years along with the Kodiak Discs. More than 33k trouble free, no worry about suspension miles. Like Joe, I run the OilBath caps, but the bearings are greased. Gary also did not recommend the oil bath bearings for the same reason he told Michelle.

You will find that the combination of the IS and Disc is like towing a completely different coach. The whole rig stops just as good as, if not better, than the truck alone and the ride is much better.

Oh ~ and I just went to H Sailuns from Ron.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:19 PM   #15

Suites used oil bath & discs OEM a few years ago. They had so many leaking issues they discontinued using oil. No one is recommending oil bath in RV trailers. In fact, Kodiak is the only one still offering the oil seals.

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:55 PM   #16

That all makes more sense now. I will continue with a greased bearing maintenance schedule.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:08 PM   #17

Our MH has oil bath on the front and tag. They are pretty easy to inspect as the hub covers come completely off. The hubs are clear and they have a level line and a fill on top once you rotate it into position. It would be hard to do on a trailer the way the hub cover requires wheel removal.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote