Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2015, 07:41 PM   #1

More Redwood Issues!!!!

Well here we go again, it just never ends with this RV.....for three years straight now. We have a 36FL and I must say it is without a doubt the most issue ridden RV we have ever owned, and we owned several RVs over the years. After months of haggling we finally got our front and rear faded caps painted and finally at last I was hoping we would have some peace with this RV. Now I see the sidewall below the living room slideouts is cracking. It just NEVER ends with terrible rig. We fulltime and as a result need our rig to stay in. Like I tell others who ask me about this trailer....don't buy one of these as I have had to become pretty much a full time RV technician to deal with ALL of the continuing issues with this thing...if I took it into the shop for repairs, and this is not stretching the truth, we would never be able to use the rig as it would be in the shop pretty much fulltime. What can I say, simply just a low quality piece of junk.
martaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:56 PM   #2

These stories are terrible to hear. I wish you all the best in trying to get things resolved. It can't be easy.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:58 PM   #3

I FEEL you pain... and unfortunately share it....
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:03 PM   #4

Sorry for your troubles... I am so glad they appear to have overcome those shortfalls on our 38FL... either that or our RW was built on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday....

We have full timed in ours since last November and only had several minor issues. We have a great RV dealer though as well...

Wish you the best.

B n D

His TV: 2014 RAM 3500 MC DRW 6.7 CTD AISIN
His RV: 2014 REDWOOD 38FL (House)
Her TV: 2013 RAM 1500 CC 5.7 Hemi
Her RV: 2010 VCross 20VFB (Camper)
Bill n Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:52 PM   #5

More Redwood Issues

MARTZ...our 36FL had/has some of the same issues. Along with blow-outs of all of the Marathon tires that came with the unit. And, additionally, refrig and ice maker problems. However, even with all the problems, we still love our Redwood. Debbie and I have owned RV's since 1998, and ALL seem to have issues of some sort. This is our first 5th Wheel. For two years we researched (both on-line and dealerships) just about everything on the market. If we were to go out and buy another 5th Wheel, it would a Redwood. I think half of the battle is having a good dealership. It's like purchasing a car. Before you buy they are willing to do just about anything to get your business; however, many act like they don't even know you if you have problems AFTER the sale. Redwood needs to make improvements...it's frustrating to have to upgrade items that came with the unit, and having to deal with the problems. Redwood is a fairly young company, and I do see improvements that they have made over the years...ie "G" load rated tires, residential refrig's, re-location of thermostat to bedroom, etc. Redwood appears to be trying to address some of the identified problems, and that's a good thing!
Bob and Debbie (both retired) with Senior FurBabies Grizz (a German Shepherd mix) and Bailey (a Lab mix)...and sometimes a Grandkiddo or 2! Full Time RVers since July 2013 Redwood: 2012 36FL with sliding patio doors
Tow Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD with 6.6 DuraMax Dually
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:03 AM   #6

We have a 36FL we have not even pulled our rig out of the yard yet. It showed up in November and the same week we were on the phone trying to find someone local were (9 hours away from the dealer) dealing with warranty items when it isn't even a week old...long story short we thought everything was set to go this past week after almost 4 months. The blower went and it was finally just replaced Saturday. Steve started up the furnace after a bit we went in and it was vibrating so he's on the phone with the rv guy who put it in he says he'll be over Monday to check it out 15 minutes later it makes a big freaking bang and all you smell is burning plastic!!!!! Well there's a new furnace being ordered. At least the slides now go in and out the new door locks work I think...a new shower head faucet and valve, the awning now works the harness underneath wasn't secure and they said it was winterized and it was not even had the sticker on it that it was... and honestly I forget what else was wrong.............. all I want to do is take it out for a weekend someday
Old 03-25-2015, 01:04 AM   #7

More Redwood Issues

Char...sorry you and Steve are having those issues. I can understand you being frustrated! It's too bad you are so far from the dealership. I think I would be frustrated enough to demand that they come to pick it up and solve the issues. They were suppose to complete a Post Delivery Inspection to ensure everything operated correctly on the unit...obviously that didn't happen!
Debbie and I have had our Redwood for nearly three years, and have lived in it full-time for almost two years. At least we have been able to enjoy it, although we had to put up with some of your same issues. I hope you are able to get every thing in working order soon so you can enjoy yours also...Lord knows you earned it! Good luck!
Bob and Debbie (both retired) with Senior FurBabies Grizz (a German Shepherd mix) and Bailey (a Lab mix)...and sometimes a Grandkiddo or 2! Full Time RVers since July 2013 Redwood: 2012 36FL with sliding patio doors
Old 03-25-2015, 02:09 AM   #8

Wow, all those complaints fit within 16 posts.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:16 AM   #9

More Redwood Issues!!!!

What does it all mean? hmmmmm
Old 03-25-2015, 03:40 AM   #10

We have had our share of issues with our 38FL, mostly assembly items at Redwood.
As many have stated, Quality Control could be much better.
We have been fulltiming in our Redwood since July 2014 and it has had a number of issues that we have fixed ourselves and some the dealer has taken care of.
Overall we are pleased with our Redwood at this point, time will tell if we have turned the corner on our problems, so far it seems things are settling down.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:36 AM   #11

Roland & I have been helping a fellow here with a 4 month old Cardinal & so far the basement has been flooded a couple of times, shower drain never connected, outdoor shower head not tightened, roof leaks, he's not a happy camper. Moral; Redwood is not alone!!
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:06 AM   #12

I would agree, sure seems like the RV industry is going the wrong direction with Quality Control !!!!
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:51 PM   #13

I'm in Quality and I look at everything with that hat on. Kind of crazy that so much gets overlooked. Don't get me wrong we love our new RV I just want to use it. Steve is a carpenter and he can't believe that they would use quality wood then take crap shortcuts even with the wrong color putty or matching the trim lines. By the time he's done it will be exactly the way we want it ...then it will time to trade her up lol
Old 03-25-2015, 03:14 PM   #14

Ours is a 2013, I've had a number of issues as well, all QC issues. Same as most of what has been posted on here. Our good friends who swapped their RW for a new 42' Winnie class A after telling me that they wanted to get something with less issues, have been drowning in issues. Awning put on wrong, toppers not installed correctly, no heat in 1/2 bath, stabilizers are hit or miss going down or coming up, pictures fell off the wall, ice maker line routed wrong, and heat pumps that make it difficult to be outside the rig because of the noise. As posted, it is almost all RV manufacturers with QC issues.
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:23 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Flyer View Post
Ours is a 2013, I've had a number of issues as well, all QC issues. Same as most of what has been posted on here. Our good friends who swapped their RW for a new 42' Winnie class A after telling me that they wanted to get something with less issues, have been drowning in issues. Awning put on wrong, toppers not installed correctly, no heat in 1/2 bath, stabilizers are hit or miss going down or coming up, pictures fell off the wall, ice maker line routed wrong, and heat pumps that make it difficult to be outside the rig because of the noise. As posted, it is almost all RV manufacturers with QC issues.

It's a shame...regardless of the amount of money spent...always issues. That's why customer service is top on my list
Old 03-25-2015, 04:46 PM   #16
Site Team

The RV industry in general has historically had a quality control issue/s and design issues. Some brands are better than others, but, they still use many of the same (poor/cheap) component suppliers and and some still have poorer design and assembly techniques than other manufacturers. In the engineering world (I am a retired engineer) it is often said that you can't inspect in quality if the design is not properly done. That is certainly true. But, good standardized training of the assembly line personnel must also be done. Then at least some inspection to make sure that the standardized assembly processes are followed would go along way in eliminating some of the silly issues that many of the folks incur.

I almost don't want to say this, but, I am seemingly one of the few Redwood owners that have had very few issues with our 2012 36RL in 4 years of ownership.
- a recall on the Carlisle hydraulic pump actuator....poor design by supplier, fixed by dealer,
- a fuse blowing to the hydraulic pump...poor design, fixed by factory service center,
- a bedroom slide topper that came un-furralled in transit....poor assembly, fixed by factory service center,
- a closet corner trim piece came loose....poor assembly, fixed by factory service center,
- a battery switch that did not completely disconnect the load circuit....poor designed, re-designed by me and fixed by me,
- sound system speaker wiring not connected correctly....poor assembly, fixed by me,
- satellite cabling not installed and labeled correctly.....poor design and poor assembly, traced out and fixed by me,
- LP gas regulator failed....poor supplier quality, fixed by me,
- two LP gas pig tails failed....poor supplier quality, fixed by me.

That is nine relatively minor issues in 4 years of ownership. I have just this week discovered, while inspecting the roof, that I am starting to get fading on the top of the front cap. It must be this Florida sun because the fade was not there last fall. This has to be a combination of poor supplier quality and/or poor design. This will be the first major issue that we have had with our RW.

Anyone know if the 5 year warranty covers the fix of painting the front and rear caps?

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:04 PM   #17
Site Team

Well written Guy...

the RV industry bought into the idea of colored fiberglass and all have suffered because of it. I've seen many small and large RV suffering by this. Another example of the RV companies all playing follow the leader and using the same suppliers.

To answer your question, I believe the colored fiberglass should be covered under the 5 year structural. The Painted units are only covered for 2 years and I would think the fiberglass would be covered longer since they are manufactured faulty.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:00 PM   #18

Guy, not sure if the caps would be covered under the 5 year warranty but I hope so. Keep us posted on what you find out. I, just 3 weeks ago was able to get the front cap painted at Redwood's expense but it was right before my 2 year warranty ended. My rig is always under a cover in storage so it took 2 years before the top of the front cap began to fade. I know it is just a matter of time before the back cap shows fading and I hope it will be covered under the5 year structural warranty. I am currently awaiting reimbursement for the front cap painting which was authorized and done locally.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:02 PM   #19

Oh, and Dave is right, this has been an issue for most manufacturers. The paint shop told me that he repaints as many as 4 a week for the local RV dealer. Most of the local ones are the gray caps.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:51 PM   #20

With all the issues we have had on ours has surpassed our use in our unit. We stuck to our guns and went beyond in the trust in the redwood name. We will still back the name of redwood as our second unit is in the paint booth. And sometimes in April we will be seeing it for the first time. My wife and I kept looking at other 5vers but they still didn't match up to the home like feeling of a redwood. We did change our Floorplan tho and upgraded many items we didn't have on our old unit but when all is said and done we know what we need to check on before it leaves the factory. I'm sorry to hear the problems you are having tho as we also have gone through the same and more.
David and Beth with our sidekick red heeler Queso the "big cheese". 2016 38GK with double unagaurd awnings with led lights and trailair air tri-glide pin box 8K axles with Linc System. 2012 Ram 3500 4x4 crew cab Laramie LWB Edge Juice with attitude with B&W 20k companion hitch.
DLRAKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote