Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2015, 05:40 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRAKOWITZ View Post
With all the issues we have had on ours has surpassed our use in our unit. We stuck to our guns and went beyond in the trust in the redwood name. We will still back the name of redwood as our second unit is in the paint booth. And sometimes in April we will be seeing it for the first time. My wife and I kept looking at other 5vers but they still didn't match up to the home like feeling of a redwood. We did change our Floorplan tho and upgraded many items we didn't have on our old unit but when all is said and done we know what we need to check on before it leaves the factory. I'm sorry to hear the problems you are having tho as we also have gone through the same and more.
Our redwood is our fourth RV TT over the past 30 years. Our RW's quality is by far the best of the four and far beyond in technology. As with our previous RV's, I fix what I can and improve upon the issue where possible. Our third annual inspection, by our RW dealer turned up one small issue which they fixed quickly. Our RW has spent 75% of it's life in covered storage which is approximately the same usage as our previous TT's. I look forward to the day we can reduce the time in storage!!
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:54 PM   #22

We have the 2012 original tan colour scheme. Got front and rear cap painted at the end of last summer covered by RW... dealer said fading is a known issue and RW covers the cost. Not sure for how long.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:40 PM   #23

Rick and Mindy...we are having the fading issues also. Unfortunately, ours is not under warranty. What did your local company charge for re-painting your front cap?
Bob and Debbie (both retired) with Senior FurBabies Grizz (a German Shepherd mix) and Bailey (a Lab mix)...and sometimes a Grandkiddo or 2! Full Time RVers since July 2013 Redwood: 2012 36FL with sliding patio doors
Tow Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD with 6.6 DuraMax Dually
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzby View Post
Rick and Mindy...we are having the fading issues also. Unfortunately, ours is not under warranty. What did your local company charge for re-painting your front cap?
It was around $1,980.00 for the front cap. Redwood provided the decals up front so it would be more if you had to buy them. I was given 10 year warranty on the paint job and he said it was as good as a car. He stated I will see a considerable difference in the ability to remove bugs now that it is painted. I am currently waiting for reimbursement.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:15 PM   #25

Thanks for the info Rick. I have been doing some research on some products to remove the fading and applying clear coat. Not sure it's a project I want to tackle...maybe worth paying to have it done and getting a good warranty!
Bob and Debbie (both retired) with Senior FurBabies Grizz (a German Shepherd mix) and Bailey (a Lab mix)...and sometimes a Grandkiddo or 2! Full Time RVers since July 2013 Redwood: 2012 36FL with sliding patio doors
Tow Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD with 6.6 DuraMax Dually
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 01:39 AM   #26

Quote:
Thanks for the info Rick. I have been doing some research on some products to remove the fading and applying clear coat. Not sure it's a project I want to tackle...maybe worth paying to have it done and getting a good warranty!
The man that did mine told me there is a product he can put on the cap and it makes it look like new but it only last a year or so. He said he does that a lot for dealers trying to quick sell an RV. Surely a dealer would never do that!!!
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:02 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy View Post
The man that did mine told me there is a product he can put on the cap and it makes it look like new but it only last a year or so. He said he does that a lot for dealers trying to quick sell an RV. Surely a dealer would never do that!!!
Remember a product called "GLO- Coat" liquid floor polish ? Old trick used by by unscrupulous used car dealers years ago ..... gives paint an "instant glossy shine"
Duramax, Allison Tranny, 62 Gal. Titan Tank
2016 39MB 5.5 Onan, Residential Package, Goodyear G114's, Mor/ryde heavy duty Shackle/bushing upgrade.
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:22 AM   #28

Bottom line is, Redwood markets to full timers but doesn't know how to treat full timers.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:42 AM   #29

Quote:
I'm not sure you can get all the fade out and only clearcoat it. My caps were painted in Nov. 14. Redwood covered it.

Mark
Old 03-27-2015, 04:14 PM   #30

There is a product that treats fading gelcoat on sailboats... lots of work. Need to really wash the caps then pre-treat with a companion product that removes all wax buildup followed by the treatment product that must be applied in several coats (3-4).... and this is an annual event but far cheaper than repainting a sailboat!
Old 03-28-2015, 06:45 PM   #31

we have a 2013 36FL we purchased at Hershey Show in 2012...took delivery in Dec 2012. Have many, many issues with ours - back tv doesn't work, front ac had to be replaced after first trip out in June 2013 (wires crimped in installation but was told at delivery everything works!!), hydraulic jack in front leaking when we went to pick it up - 6 hours from home - the dealer never noticed it! Other issues with this, too! Very poor, if any, dealer prep done on our unit. long story short - we are supposed to get the issues fixed this spring under warranty IF WE CAN FIND A DEALER CLOSE BY WILLING TO WORK ON THE UNIT who will be "approved by Crossroads". we had one that replaced the air conditioner but we were told he had to wait too long to get paid - doesn't want to work on it again. We've been camping for over 40 years - this was the last one before retiring and it has been a nightmare trying to get things fixed. EVERY trip out we've had to call the dealer/redwood with issues and still not fixed. Hope to get them resolved soon - if it every stops snowing here in NY!!
Old 03-28-2015, 07:44 PM   #32

We are full timing now and our 2013 36RL has been very good. Our issues in the beginning were in pulling the RV and the suspension. Other than that, I have to be careful to pull up on the toilet lever or I will flood the RV, but in talking with others who have other brands of RVs we aren't alone there. If anyone has found a fix to that problem let me know. It seems they all have some "issues", but so far we love our RW.

Eileen
JohnEileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:34 PM   #33

John n Eileen, my toilet did that til I sprayed the valve assembly at the pedal with the silicone spray, did it a couple of times & no problems since, now I just spray it occasionally if/when I think about it.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:10 AM   #34

We will be retiring in a year & full-timing. As like others, we have looked at hundreds of 5ers over the past 4 years, and so far none beats the RW's. As we have decided the 38GK fits our needs the best, and in another recent post that spoke of taking a look at the new Heartland Landmark 365's, we went and looked at the Landmark Ashland & Savanna (almost identical to the GK) units today. On the surface, they were nice and had some features that we liked over the 38GK like deeper pull out shelving in the pantrys. They offer the same 2+5 warranty. But looking closely, the fit & finish was poor, light switching not placed well, AC "whisper-quiet" unit not-so-quiet. Like some of the RW's they have the LR TV on hinges in front of the storage shelving behind. I wanted to see this, but it took the dealer's service tech over an hour to get the release unlatched (BTW there is a safe behind it...very safe I might add). It was a sleazy catch mechanism IMO. Also very light-weight receiver hitch on the back that would not even hold a bike rack. Just based on the poor fit & finish issues I saw, I would say their QC is no better than anyone else's. They use the Lippert frame...no opinion on that. Overall, it was an okay coach, but as it's similarly priced as a RW, the 38GK is still the one for us. Will be ordering it beginning of 2016 unless we find anything better in the meantime, but that is looking doubtful. One thing that impressed me on their Forum, is they have factory reps reviewing comments/posts and responding to many. Redwood should be doing this as well.
RV4us2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:19 AM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV4us2 View Post
We will be retiring in a year & full-timing. As like others, we have looked at hundreds of 5ers over the past 4 years, and so far none beats the RW's. As we have decided the 38GK fits our needs the best, and in another recent post that spoke of taking a look at the new Heartland Landmark 365's, we went and looked at the Landmark Ashland & Savanna (almost identical to the GK) units today. On the surface, they were nice and had some features that we liked over the 38GK like deeper pull out shelving in the pantrys. They offer the same 2+5 warranty. But looking closely, the fit & finish was poor, light switching not placed well, AC "whisper-quiet" unit not-so-quiet. Like some of the RW's they have the LR TV on hinges in front of the storage shelving behind. I wanted to see this, but it took the dealer's service tech over an hour to get the release unlatched (BTW there is a safe behind it...very safe I might add). It was a sleazy catch mechanism IMO. Also very light-weight receiver hitch on the back that would not even hold a bike rack. Just based on the poor fit & finish issues I saw, I would say their QC is no better than anyone else's. They use the Lippert frame...no opinion on that. Overall, it was an okay coach, but as it's similarly priced as a RW, the 38GK is still the one for us. Will be ordering it beginning of 2016 unless we find anything better in the meantime, but that is looking doubtful. One thing that impressed me on their Forum, is they have factory reps reviewing comments/posts and responding to many. Redwood should be doing this as well.
I hope your Redwood brings you the miles of happiness that mine has brought Ginny and I.

Happy Trails
Old 03-30-2015, 04:17 PM   #36

We have had our RW pain as well. Had to have sofa replaced, door knobs replaced, vent fan replaced, AC receptials re-attached, all covered by RW. Guess one could say normal RV issues. We have sagging slide out awnings that I will have to replace, GY Marithon tires, one has already been replaced. Looking at 4 new heaver tires before we pull out of here. We had a water leak in roof of basement. I noticed it when winterizing it. Had it checked out by dealership. Told them I thought it was the santiflush system. They checked it out and said no leak and charged me $90. Put unit back into service this spring and had a severe leak when Washing machine drained. All the water went into basement. Took light off ceiling on left and hot water sprayed out on me with removal of second screw. If you have a RW36RL beware. I repaired it with a coupling. I moved light to a different location. I still had to find the original problem. Under bed washer drain flex tube came unscrewed dumping all wash water in floor. What a mess!
Jeff&Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:10 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV4us2 View Post
We will be retiring in a year & full-timing. As like others, we have looked at hundreds of 5ers over the past 4 years, and so far none beats the RW's. As we have decided the 38GK fits our needs the best, and in another recent post that spoke of taking a look at the new Heartland Landmark 365's, we went and looked at the Landmark Ashland & Savanna (almost identical to the GK) units today. On the surface, they were nice and had some features that we liked over the 38GK like deeper pull out shelving in the pantrys. They offer 2+5
I thought Redwood dropped the 2+5?
JohnEileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:39 PM   #38

Well !!! Very Interisting.

We purchased our Redwood in MAY 2012. I look at the posts reference the problems and see that Redwood has not addressed many of them and keeps building them the same way. We had almost all of the problems see posted. Water line from washer under bed disconnected and first load dumped water on floor to the speakers not being hooked up right, sat. lines hooked up wrong, faded caps, one AC hooked up wrong, on and on. It is so interesting that these problems are not addressed at the factory after all these years while being built. However all of the problems in my rig have been fixed by me or by a dealer. So my answer to this is BUY A USED ONE where all has been fixed or up graded by owner. Make it a hobby like I had to do. Oh, did I mention my 2012 36RL is for sale. Better than new. Used about one year and still smells like new.
DonMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:02 AM   #39

Almost all the problems that can occur are listed on this forum along with the solutions. I've fixed almost every problem on my '12 RL myself (and there were 58 of them) to avoid going to the dealer and endlessly waiting. If you are handy and can fix these problems - the end is in sight. Mine has been excellent since I worked through the issues. If you need to bring your coach to the dealer to fix every issue, good luck to you. I know it isn't fair - just reality.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:47 PM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time View Post
Almost all the problems that can occur are listed on this forum along with the solutions. I've fixed almost every problem on my '12 RL myself (and there were 58 of them) to avoid going to the dealer and endlessly waiting. If you are handy and can fix these problems - the end is in sight. Mine has been excellent since I worked through the issues. If you need to bring your coach to the dealer to fix every issue, good luck to you. I know it isn't fair - just reality.

Mike............I agree with you. I would say that I have been very fortunate with our 2012 36RL as we have had very few issues. But, I would also say that Redwood, and the RV industry in general, don't have to make the perfect coach because we, the consumers, keep buying their product as is. If the consumers all of a sudden stopped buying the RV product because of poor quality, the industry would loose some and others might improve their quality, but, that is not likely to ever happen. Yes, I am always interested in getting the best deal that I can. On the other hand, even at the price level of a Redwood, I would be willing to pay a little more if that meant that the design/quality level was where it should/could be. Having said this though, I do fix, re-design or try to improve issues where I can. I read the Redwood forums almost every day just to see (become aware of) any issue/s that someone has posted in case I need to correct the issue/s on my 36RL.

Mike, are you coming to the RW Rally this summer? We are planning to be there again. Hope to see you there.

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote