Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2023, 08:08 PM   #1

Model vote

Recently sold my 2015 RW 38GK and have been looking at the front (3981)and rear kitchen models (4001)for RW.
Like to hear from owners the pros and cons for these models. I'm thinking the front kitchen model will do better traveling, but my wife is leaning towards the rear kitchen.
Thanks
danrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 11:45 AM   #2

front kitchen may have less cabinets space due to lower ceilings. We have Morryde and have had zero issues with travel, our kitchen is in the center right over the wheels. We leave the coffee mugs and the coffee maker on the counter, it never moves! Friends of ours just got a rear kitchen Solitude 44' , it has 3 times the storage space outside under the kitchen compared to our RL.
Old 01-14-2023, 07:06 PM   #3

We have the 2020 4001LK and have had no issues with the rear kitchen and absolutely love the floorplan.
lsbtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 04:51 PM   #4
Bob

4001lk

2021 4001lk full body paint. 12,000 dollar paint job, paint falling off. Molding falling off & what's funny is we don't even tow it. I can go on & on. It seems the older one's are better.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 12:21 AM   #5
gee

We have a 2021 4001 LK and absolutely love it. Unfortunately we are going to have to sell it in the spring.
Family things but family must come first.
gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 01:02 AM   #6

2020 3981fk

We have the 2020 3981FK and the kitchen is huge. Plenty of counter space to do anything. Someone previously mentioned cabinets. There is plenty of cabinets space. The cabinet on the bottom door side have drawers that hold canned goods easily. The bedroom and bath in the rear are both elevated like the front so there is plenty of basement storage in the front and back. If you enjoy watching the TV while cooking, there is plenty of visibility from the kitchen to the living room.
Concerns - My refrigerator fell out into the kitchen on the first long trip. Redwood really needs to find a better securement for this while traveling. I now use a spring loaded shower curtain rod between the slides to help hold the fridge along with the original straps. I have been to both coasts with this new securement and have not had a problem.
If you want to get to the kitchen or bath with the slides in, good luck. The kitchen is possible if you are thin. I have gained a few pounds in recent years but I can still fit through. For the bathroom, the door side hydraulic (living) slide and the bedroom slide both need to go out some. Not all the way but some. The bedroom slide could stay in but you will crawl over the bed to get to the bathroom.
Hitch weight is one of the heaviest of the Redwoods. My first trip was with a 2019 Chev 3500 SRW equipped with air bags. Towed fine but tire weight was a concern. Now using a 2020 3500 GMC DRW and rides and tows great.
The concerns for me are easy to live with while enjoying the space of the kitchen and the storage underneath.
jawolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 10:26 PM   #7

floorplan

We were at the Tampa RV show in January and compared the two. Although the 4001LK looks fine, I think the best kitchen is the new 4120GK if you've got a truck to pull it and the space to park it. It's a large kitchen, most counter space, more cabinets, super nice bathroom setup and more clothes storage. Think they borrowed the idea from LUXE, as they had one similar. Hitch weight is similar to the 4001, but overall 2 ft longer and about 200# more overall weight. I'd definitely get the MorRyde IS if you're traveling, but many at our RV resort in SW FL are just having them delivered and using it as a secondary residence.
TireMinder TPMS monitor/Slide covers
Fusion backup monitor
PullRite Superglide 2900 Hitch
woodman1 is offline   Reply With Quote