Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2015, 10:25 PM   #1

Mobile Connectivity

Hello All,

I am in the process of planning my WiFi, Internet, and satelite TV systems for our RW 38RE. My question is if anyone has any suggestions for various methods of pulling various RG6 and antenna cabling from a central D-Mark to various locations within the Coach.

I know for the most part cabling for the Satelite system is already prepped but there might be the need for additional RG6 or other antenna leads in the in the Living Room where I am hoping to install a PepWave Router. I may need to be installing a WiFi antenna wire from directional antenna location to router. It is all part of my scheme to dominate the world....

Also has anyone tried to remove the TV in the Living Room. If so how did you accomplish this task?

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Bob
6.6 Liter Duramax Diesel w/ 6 Speed Allison Trans
Rhilton284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 02:02 AM   #2

Bob,
I depend on internet access for work. I have both AT&T and Verizon. When in poor service areas I travel with a multi directional wifi antenna that I can plug into an air card or a cradle for our phones.

Since it is rare that I need the signal boost, I decided not to run permanent wiring for the antenna. When needed, I attach the antenna to a 3/4 electrical PVC pipe that I clamp onto the entertainment slide. I retract the slide a bit to fish the wire into the rig and connect it to the device I'm using. Not pretty, but simple and easy. Like I said, it's not too often that I have need it.

I have found the installed coax sufficient for our needs. I use a portable Dish 1000 on a tripod, Hopper in the living room and wireless Joey's to the bedroom and outside TV.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:41 AM   #3

Bought a WineGard rotatable antenna and replaced the antenna with a High Gain Wifi antenna. Mounted the handle in the cabinet above the couch. The antenna connects to Cradlepoint router which convert Wifi to Wan. The system keeps me isolated in my own network. The antenna raises and I can point it to the best signal. The Cradlepoint takes multiple sources for use as a wan.

I already purchased another Winegard antenna to mount a G4 cellular booster antenna. This one I will hide the handle in the closet. For this trip I did not need the booster. The The booster outside antenna needs to be mounted away from the internal antenna, thats why the outside needs to be in the bedroom.

Todo: need to mount in outlet in the cabinet above the couch. For the G4 Booster, I am going to run the cable accross the roof and drop it down into the same cabinet with the Wifi equipment.

For the Dish network, I have decided to go with the External model. Too many stories of the signal being blocked on the roof. On my current trip I was able to run Roku for tv (netflix)
bergeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:56 PM   #4

Cellular carrier question. We currently use Verizon, but giving serious consideration of switching to T-Mobile. Anyone have experience with T-Mobile across the U.S.?
RV4us2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:36 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV4us2 View Post
Cellular carrier question. We currently use Verizon, but giving serious consideration of switching to T-Mobile. Anyone have experience with T-Mobile across the U.S.?

We use Verizon also with good access everywhere from Florida to Indiana to Washington State. But, I have been very surprised at how the data usage adds up for just looking at the Redwood forum, planning our trips, email, the weather forecast and occasional purchases at Amazon. No movie downloads and we still end up with 7 to 10 Gigabytes of data usage per month at $100. to $125. per month. Seems excessive to me.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Verizon is in most cases has the best coverage. Att is second. When we add wells to telemetry, we try Verizon first, If Verizon does not work, we use ATT. A number of people carry both. In rural areas you will normally be able to get att or Verizon. Note, we have more devices on Verizon then att, maybe 8 to 1.

I am curious, T-Mobile has never been a consideration for us, what made you consider them. I am always open to better solutions.

For usage, I can see 5-10g a month is pretty easy to hit even if your not streaming movies. The problem is that once you are using a computer to view the web pages and not the phone, you are are being pushed streaming video and audio whether you want it or not. Just go to msn.com or even the simple drudgereport. If you browse on a phone, a lot of the extra stuff is blocked.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:46 AM   #7

We've been across the Country, up to Alaska and Newfoundland and have had Cell Service in most places. We're on Verizon with a 20G plan @ $120.00
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 04:00 AM   #8

We have also & coast to coast border to border we've had good cell & wifi service. Both of our children have tried T Mobile & only kept a short while due to poor coverage. They have had to go outside to be able to get signal while talking too them.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 04:10 AM   #9

We did make the switch to T-Mobile. Their coverage has expanded tenfold over the past year. 4 of my adult kids have been on this service for a while now and give it high marks. For less than $100, our two phones have unlimited text, phone and 4g/LTE data + free streaming. I will let you know how well the service is as time goes on.
RV4us2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:13 PM   #10

Quote:
We bought a T-mobile plan last winter for our winter here in the US through a Canadian re-seller. We transited the US from Detroit to southern California and return.

The T-mobile service was non-existent in a number of places, we also have a cheapie TracFone that worked better than T-mobile, we needed it as we had a family emergency that required us to be in contact.

Based on our experiences I wouldn't recommend T-mobile.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:06 AM   #11

Quote:
We did make the switch to T-Mobile. Their coverage has expanded tenfold over the past year. 4 of my adult kids have been on this service for a while now and give it high marks. For less than $100, our two phones have unlimited text, phone and 4g/LTE data + free streaming. I will let you know how well the service is as time goes on.
For my kids, I have been using Straighttalk. They use ATT IPhones with straight talk. The best thing is they are on ATT network and only paying 50/Month with 5gig data.