Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2012, 03:47 PM   #1
Lou

Is anyone else finding the microwave/convection oven a pain to use....seems everything I bake in it comes out half done or burnt....and I follow their chart to the letter...tired of cold pizza or burnt biscuits.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #2

Lou, we took a course on the use of the oven at Lazy Days in Tampa. You have to use convect bake for anything you would put in a normal oven and watch the time. Also do preheat then adjust the time on your standard receipe by reducing about 20-25 % the first time you cook and adjust from there. If you have a stoneware pizza pan you can cook your pizza on the grill (if your grill has a cover). Taking the course was a great help to us. Hope this helps you. John
Old 09-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #3

They talk about reduced cooking times, but we haven't found that to be true in the convection/microwave in our old Montana or the Redwood, unless you're using the combo mode of both convection and microwave. We did that with baked potatoes and they were done quicker, hot inside, and crisp outside. Other than that difference we love it and that's part of the reason we opt'd not to get the conventional oven. Plus like the fact it exhaust the heat outside rather than heating the inside, especially when you're running both AC because the outside temp is in the 90s.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #4
Site Team

I hate to admit it but we're convection stupid We have one in the RV and we have a new 6 burner stove/convection being installed in our house within a few weeks but so far I can only cook popcorn in the thing. Who would have ever thought we'd have to read a book to operate an oven. After I master the oven I'm sure they'll come out with a complicated iron.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
Lou

Thank you for all the info...guess I will just have to fiddle with it until I get it right. Just frustrating when you think you have done everything right and things just aren't right.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny
I hate to admit it but we're convection stupid We have one in the RV and we have a new 6 burner stove/convection being installed in our house within a few weeks but so far I can only cook popcorn in the thing. Who would have ever thought we'd have to read a book to operate an oven. After I master the oven I'm sure they'll come out with a complicated iron.

Dave... please don't give the impression that you do the ironing! My wife reads this forum!!
Old 09-20-2012, 05:46 PM   #7
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny

Dave... please don't give the impression that you do the ironing! My wife reads this forum!!

Ha Ha Ha thats a good ONE!!you do the ironing!! Not sure if we will have room for one in our rig

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #8

Everything we own and wear is "Wash-n-Wear", but in keeping with the theme of this thread, we love our Convection/Microwave. Learned to use the one in the Montana, so when we ordered our RW we opt'd for the storage drawers vs a conventional oven. Used an RV oven maybe twice in approx 25 years, but use the covection all the time.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
Old 09-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #9

I have a convection oven in my stove at home - my question is, would the convection in the micro be the same (only smaller) as using the one in the s&b stove? I almost never use anything but convection in the oven at home any more.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #10

I would think that it would depend on the one in the S&B, is it a gas or electric and does it use either gas or electric to suppliment the Hot Air from the Convection?? Some oven to use both, but on the flip side if you use the right dishes you can use both Convection and Mircowave at the same time (we've only tried Baked Potatos using both). I just wish there was more info avail on the different functions, as I've even gone the the Mfr Web site and no more info there either.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #11

It's not the same. The convection/micro in the RV uses heated air to regulate the baking temperature whereas a conventional S&B convection oven has a heating element, either gas or electric, to regulate the temperature and a fan to circulate that heat.
I haven't had much luck using the convection/micro in the RV for things like pizza. The absence of a heating element prevents the bottom from browning. I'm thinking about using the micro/bake setting along with a browning tray to see if that works. Otherwise I may have to get a toaster oven.
TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote