Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2015, 12:26 AM   #1
Site Team

Mattress switch out

getting ready to switch the King mattress that our RL was built with to a Queen. Since I won't be able to reuse the tube frame support I was thinking of making a 3/4 plywood base to fit and then hinging it for storage.

What I'm concerned about is putting a mattress only down without a box spring or some other type of support.

Anyone done this, or any suggestions ?
Old 06-26-2015, 12:38 AM   #2

I wouldn't even worry about it. 80% of RV's out there are on a solid base. Remember bunk beds when you were a kid?
Old 06-26-2015, 01:49 AM   #3

Did mine & only used 1/2" plywood as there are several cross supports under there. We aren't small folks & it hasn't collapsed in almost 2 years. I put flooring in the void between the 2 drawers & added a small door a the foot of the bed to access, makes a spot about 14-15" wide by 30-36" deep, great for items we don't use often.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:28 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Sounds like a good solution for the space. I have been meaning to do the same ever since I had it tore apart for the washer drain hose that pulled apart leaking under the bed. Just have not had time. I plan on getting rid of the box spring and installing plywood on a hinge with gas shocks to be able to use the wasted space for storage
Old 06-26-2015, 04:38 AM   #5

My king bed has no tube support and frame is made for a queen bed so thinking about changing it out as the king bed bends down when I sit or lay on the sides. Yuck! In our old motor home the bed was on a 1/2" board and was supper comfy with a 2" foam mattress pad on top.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
Did mine & only used 1/2" plywood as there are several cross supports under there. We aren't small folks & it hasn't collapsed in almost 2 years. I put flooring in the void between the 2 drawers & added a small door a the foot of the bed to access, makes a spot about 14-15" wide by 30-36" deep, great for items we don't use often.
Danny, is it too firm without the box spring? That's my concern. OTOH, I think having a box spring also will create too much height.

We can't continue with the current mattress. My son borrow our trailer this past week. As I was setting, my daughter-in-law sat on the bed and said, "wow, what a great mattress!" I smiled and said, "yes. You'll love it. For the first night."

~ Tracy
Piper Guy's Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:10 PM   #7

We had the king mattress that came with the RV but switched it out for a pillow top. Ours had the square tube frame with the bowed slats, not very much support. I covered it with 3/4" plywood and threw on the new pillow top and its just as comfortable as being at home. Wife loves it.
PsychoBob65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:34 PM   #8

Ours was originally a queen and we made it a king. We tore out the original frame and put in box springs. Then we added the new mattress, an I-comfort I think. It's an all foam one. After dealing with the bed being to high, we got rid of the box springs and put down plywood. Works great and never slept better!
Old 06-26-2015, 05:41 PM   #9

Tracy in my opinion it's not too firm, but we switched to an Icloud mattress. I don't think there so called Euro platform does anything anyway except raise the height of the mattress.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 06-26-2015, 06:10 PM   #10

Our last SOB we bought a memory foam mattress from an internet site for rv mattresses, can't recall the name, but it was fantastic & very inexpensive. It came in a tube about 14" in diameter, but was a 10" thick mattress. Wish we had ordered it this time, not real pleased with the Icloud.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 06-26-2015, 06:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
Our last SOB we bought a memory foam mattress from an internet site for rv mattresses, can't recall the name, but it was fantastic & very inexpensive. It came in a tube about 14" in diameter, but was a 10" thick mattress. Wish we had ordered it this time, not real pleased with the Icloud.
We used the same type mattress in a tube before as well in our carriage and loved it. This time we tried a serta trump edition because we were looking at cardinals during the build time of this rw and they use this mattress as their upgrade and loved it. So we put that one in the new rw this time
David and Beth with our sidekick red heeler Queso the "big cheese". 2016 38GK with double unagaurd awnings with led lights and trailair air tri-glide pin box 8K axles with Linc System. 2012 Ram 3500 4x4 crew cab Laramie LWB Edge Juice with attitude with B&W 20k companion hitch.
DLRAKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:45 AM   #12

Where did you get the Serta Trump Edition Mattress ?
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:57 AM   #13

Believe it or not. Sam's Club in San Antonio off of I-35 north west area has them
David and Beth with our sidekick red heeler Queso the "big cheese". 2016 38GK with double unagaurd awnings with led lights and trailair air tri-glide pin box 8K axles with Linc System. 2012 Ram 3500 4x4 crew cab Laramie LWB Edge Juice with attitude with B&W 20k companion hitch.
DLRAKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:22 AM   #14

We bought a similar sounding mattress from mattressinsider.com. They make rv-sized matresses. Got the 8" gel foam (Cool Max) for around $800. For aditional $20 they radiused the corners for custom look. Put it on Euro rail system, seems to work fine, but have been considering removing that and replacing with plywood, feels a little soft. Bed is 95% as comfortable as our home Serta iComfort which cost us $2200!

Kent & Mindy
Isabelle & Elliebelle Miniature Schnauzers
2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2015 RW 38RL
4happyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:45 PM   #15

Switched out our Redwood waffel at the beginning of the month and love the queen ICLOUD. I did add an 18 extension to keep the sheets and the blanket from coming out. LOVIT