Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2016, 08:17 PM   #1

Major Solar System Install

Greetings RW Family! We are preparing to do a pretty major solar system install on our 38RL (2015). We are having it done at AM Solar in Springfield, Oregon, and it's going to cost a fortune. Yes, we are well aware that we can buy a lot of propane for the generator for what this will cost, but installing a solar system has nothing to do with economics, and everything to do with quality of life, both ours, and our NEIGHBORS!!

Wondering if anyone else has done anything like this (more than just a couple panels, I mean) This will be a hybrid 3000 watt inverter with automatic load distribution and an automatic gen start so that, in theory, it will be the next best thing to full hookups when boondocking or hooked up to low amperage. Pretty excited. It was a big decision.

Theresa

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:58 PM   #2

Hi Theresa

We've missed you on this forum.......Welcome back. I will watch with great interest how your solar project turns out. From a fellow NW Redwood owner.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:05 PM   #3

interesting to see how it all turns out. I am looking at putting two panels on our RW this spring. I have the panels but right now I have a Temp set up that attaches to the ladder so that I can keep the batteries charged in storage. It seems to be working well no dead batteries so far.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:39 PM   #4

Our coach came with a solar setup from the factory that has a lot of expansion room, and have researched expanding it, but haven't pulled the trigger yet... and the panels and controllers are getting better and better each day...

good luck !

good luck
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:43 PM   #5

Aw, thanks Jim and Mary. I have missed everyone here too!! GLAD to be back!!

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Old 12-20-2016, 11:45 PM   #6

Hi JB2 and everyone~!! JB2, are you saying that RW included some kind of solar setup??? I haven't really looked into that yet. I do know that whatever they did it will not be beefy enough for what we are doing, BUT, it might help with running wire or something. Thanks for the comments!

Old 12-20-2016, 11:58 PM   #7

Oops, sorry, didn't mean to imply from Redwood,
on the monaco that replaced it
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 12:03 AM   #8

LOL, now THAT makes sense!!

Old 12-21-2016, 01:15 AM   #9

Didn't realize you were without electric out there! Definitely an application for Solar!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 01:27 AM   #10

Hi AA!! Har har HAR dee har HAR!!! We are hitting the road soon and plan to do a lot of boondocking and staying at places where there is less than 30 amps. This system mixes power sources to maximize all in a combined fashion. Pretty cool. Yes, it will run the A/C too if we can score enough power.

Old 12-21-2016, 01:37 AM   #11

Ah I see - sounds like some serious fun! Assume you'll run an inverter then?
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 01:39 AM   #12

Yes, a hybrid 3000 watt (this in addition to the 1000 w installed by RW for the Residential fridge). We are talking about putting in a bigger one, but not sure yet. That will likely be plenty. It's a pretty cool system.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanyLife View Post
Greetings RW Family! We are preparing to do a pretty major solar system install on our 38RL (2015). We are having it done at AM Solar in Springfield, Oregon, and it's going to cost a fortune. Yes, we are well aware that we can buy a lot of propane for the generator for what this will cost, but installing a solar system has nothing to do with economics, and everything to do with quality of life, both ours, and our NEIGHBORS!!

Wondering if anyone else has done anything like this (more than just a couple panels, I mean) This will be a hybrid 3000 watt inverter with automatic load distribution and an automatic gen start so that, in theory, it will be the next best thing to full hookups when boondocking or hooked up to low amperage. Pretty excited. It was a big decision.

Theresa
2016 36RL
We installed a MagnaSine Hybrid Inverter and 8-160 watt panels, 600 amp hours of lithium batteries. We got a ton of information off of the website: wheelingit.com. The workmanship/craftsmanship of Precision RV (Marvin) is beyond amazing!! We have NO exposed wires. We can run pretty much everything on it!! Major investment, but will provide a GREAT quality of life on the road!!
Bogey3025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:12 PM   #14

WOW Bogey! We have watched that video too, and are tempted to call Marvin... I know he is in our area from time to time and the fact that he HAS worked on a RW makes me even more interested... I have great faith in anything WHEELING IT endorses, for sure! I think I will get in touch with him! That's quite a system. Do you love it? We are really excited to get it done.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:25 PM   #15

Quote:

Theresa
Quote:
WOW Bogey! We have watched that video too, and are tempted to call Marvin... I know he is in our area from time to time and the fact that he HAS worked on a RW makes me even more interested... I have great faith in anything WHEELING IT endorses, for sure! I think I will get in touch with him! That's quite a system. Do you love it? We are really excited to get it done.
We LOVE it. I would love to send you photos of our system, the wall and where he ran all the wires. But I can't get them to up load!! Willing to share an email so we can send you photos of how he did the basement and interior?? We are so pleased with his work....
Old 12-21-2016, 09:31 PM   #16

How nice of you Bogey, I PM'd you!!

Old 12-21-2016, 10:06 PM   #17

Todd

I would recommend you look closely at the parameter modified vs. pure sine wave inverter. If you have the residential fridge, and a boat load of electronics, they may not like a non pure sine wave inverter. I dealt with these folks fairly close to us and their customer service and pricing seems fair:

Power Inverters | DonRowe.com

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Mary View Post
Todd

I would recommend you look closely at the parameter modified vs. pure sine wave inverter. If you have the residential fridge, and a boat load of electronics, they may not like a non pure sine wave inverter. I dealt with these folks fairly close to us and their customer service and pricing seems fair:

Power Inverters | DonRowe.com
We actually discussed this before our install..we have a residential and plenty of electronics and have had NO issues what so ever! Very happy with our system.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:22 PM   #19

Thanks Jim and Mary;
I must be confused (not surprising!) I thought it was the MODIFIED sine that was problematic for electronics? I will definitely ask about it though, appreciate the heads' up.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:50 PM   #20

I have read that the pure sine wave was the most desired also. I believe that the modified sine wave causes more problems with newer electronics. I recall reading that some people couldn't run their Fisher-Paykel dishwasher while running off of generator power. But the dishwasher would run fine off of shore power. Then someone mentioned about using some device to determine the proper rpm of the generator to get exactly 60 Hz and then the dishwasher would run off generator. I know this doesn't apply to solar but in regards to sine wave.

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote