Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2021, 08:06 PM   #1

Main AC unit stopped cooling

Have 2014 Redwood 36RL It’s going on 8 years now and Mai AC unit w Heat pump quit cooling last fall Heat Pump works fine which is the reverse of cooling. So what does anyone one recommend find out what parts needed or could also be Freon issue. So I think just replace complete unit. But when your retired you don’t have a lot of money to throw around. Any suggestions out there. Anyone with similar situation
Bob H
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 08:40 PM   #2

I would think its a simple fix as long as the valve doesn't have some thing stuck in it. If either the heat pump or the cooling works it is just the valve or the themostat that is the problem.
Old 07-06-2021, 06:04 PM   #3

XCMARK
Are you talking about the wall thermostat. So if took wall thermostat off and took cooling and common and touch them together we should hav cooling providing valve is not stuck. But if valve stuck Any other suggestions
Bob H
Old 07-06-2021, 10:03 PM   #4

I had a problem 3 years ago where the thermostat didn't work on heat or cooling , the terminals on the heat/cool switch didn't make contact. This was not a strait forward fix . I had to disassemble the wall thermostat and clean where the slide switch is. It was 3 years ago so I cant recall the details but it works fine ever since and saved the hundred plus dollars it would have cost.

cant really be much more help without the rig in front of me and a meter in hand to see what it is doing.
Old 07-06-2021, 11:33 PM   #5

Thanks XCMARK
That’s good to know. So should have 12volts on cooling side and 12 volts on heating side when switch is switched from heat to cool
Bob H
Old 07-08-2021, 01:03 AM   #6

From what I recall the 12 volts comes from the gas furnace . It pulls in relays to start the blower and compressor in the roof unit.