Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2014, 12:48 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Snowbirds View Post
Invisible Glass with Rain Repellent for windows and shower doors. Cleans streak free and water runs off (like RainX). Get it at auto parts stores or some warehouse hardware stores but not all have the type that includes rain repellent. Got this suggestion from professional RV detailer in San Diego this winter.
I already have the RainX for this - I don't care for it on my windshield, tho...
Full-timing starting in August, 2014
AlanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:56 PM   #22

AlanN, I LOVE RainX for my windshield, use it all the time, have been for many years. It really helps keep the windshield clear when it's raining, in a light rain I seldom use the wipers and even in heavier rain I can use the wipers intermittently.

I've never tried the Invisible Glass with Rain Repellent, has anyone else used and if so how does it compare to RainX on windshields?
Old 05-14-2014, 05:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nTheRoad View Post
AlanN, I LOVE RainX for my windshield, use it all the time, have been for many years. It really helps keep the windshield clear when it's raining, in a light rain I seldom use the wipers and even in heavier rain I can use the wipers intermittently.

I've never tried the Invisible Glass with Rain Repellent, has anyone else used and if so how does it compare to RainX on windshields?
I find that after dark in rain, a RainX - treated windshield leaves "millions" of tiny droplets which create an awful glare from oncoming headlights.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:35 PM   #24

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
I find that after dark in rain, a RainX - treated windshield leaves "millions" of tiny droplets which create an awful glare from oncoming headlights.
I use it on my windshields, shower glass and outside windows of my house that are exposed to rain. Can't get enough of the stuff! The cleaner with rain repellent does not fog up the glass when you use it like straight RainX does. No problems with droplets at night.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:21 PM   #25

Graphite for the holding tank cables.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
Graphite for the holding tank cables.
Got it! Thanks...
Old 05-15-2014, 12:02 AM   #27

I use "Turtle Wax/Wax & Dry" on my truck(glass, chrome, plastic) every wash just mist & dry & it works just as well as Rain-X & we use it in shower(except floor), no water spots & a freshly waxed shine to all.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:06 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
I use "Turtle Wax/Wax & Dry" on my truck(glass, chrome, plastic) every wash just mist & dry & it works just as well as Rain-X & we use it in shower(except floor), no water spots & a freshly waxed shine to all.
More good ideas ... Thanks!
Old 05-15-2014, 03:45 AM   #29

Wow - you gotta get this tri-flow stuff !!!
it's great for the locks...

have always had to FIGHT and Jiggle and dance to get the key just to go INTO all my exterior locks ---- then once in, it was a 100 lb pull to get it out...

now it's slides in and out like butter !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:59 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nTheRoad View Post
It doesn't last very long on windshields. It's a great cleaner, I use it on side windows on my wife's car. For my windshield I use Aquapel. http://www.autogeek.net/rain-repellent.html it's like rain-X on steroids. I feel It sheets water away better out lasts rain x 5-1 and also not as streaky. Aquapel on RV side windows would last a year I bet. Easy application but one draw back is it doesn't come in bottles, you just get break and apply squeegee's.
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 02:28 PM   #31

(Yawn) ahemmm. Good morning fellow redwood owners. Stoker here again. Messing round with the " little jewel" yesterday replacing vent lid and notice the sealant round everything up top was really dark ( almost blackened). Supposing this is a testament to heavy sun exposure? 2013 38br that some of you kind hearted and knowledgeable owners may remember me posting about the past couple months. Today being nice day in Houston spells me working on the roof. Do I take up old sealant around everything or apply new sealant over the top of existing? If I should remove, what do you use to get it up? I see Atom Ant advised alpha ply lap sealant vs Dicor. This available at CW and do you use caulk gun and just drizzle it around the area needed? Any smoothing needed or does the area need washing/drying before applying. Logic says not to wash area needing the sealant because you don't want water in that area... I know. Lot of info to ask about so as you have coffee and breakfast and if you feel inclined to help me out I would appreciate it.
Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 02:56 PM   #32

I don't think the black is from sun, being in Texas, it is probably mold. I wouldn't think that would mean it needs replaced. As long as it hasn't deteriorated, it should still be sealing, but hard to tell without a picture.

Alpha is what the Roof manufacturer recommends, but I've only been able to get it through PPL online. I actually had to call, because they don't show all the types in the catalog.

For any work on the roof, use the "self leveling" type and just put a enough on to cover what you need to cover, overlapping out on to the roof a bit and over the screws, etc, and it will settle by itself into a nice pool of sealant.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 03:02 PM   #33

Mighty kind of you AA.... So the stuff that CW and Holiday World sells is not for Alpha roofs? I need to look for Alpha roof specific lap sealant you reckon? And from your note and experience, no need to pull up existing material?? That would make much shorter work of the project....
Old 10-12-2014, 03:10 PM   #34

One more thing... When you guys move main cabin slides out or in, do they make any kind of unusual noise or is the movement very quiet? I get a sort of "startup" squeal especially at retraction of slides (especially the door side). A real screech at first then you hear a squeaking that sounds like lube needed. I have lubed the gears and slide bars twice since we bought it in August ( preowned) and it still makes the noise. Wondering if just a Lippert characteristic or if I have an adjustment issue.....doesn't sound normal. Running buddy of ours has Landmark that is really quiet..
Old 10-12-2014, 03:31 PM   #35
Site Team

Mine makes a noise when it's moving as well as a wine when it starts. You can spay some silicone on the rollers and cogs to quiet down a bit. If you do lubricate it, make sure you only use silicone. Silicone is one of the few lubricants that doesn't draw dust and dirt.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:34 PM   #36

Thanks Dave. Loving this.... Having so much fun spending money and doing maintenance I can't understand why I didn't start doing this way back haha
Old 10-12-2014, 04:56 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoker View Post
Mighty kind of you AA.... So the stuff that CW and Holiday World sells is not for Alpha roofs? I need to look for Alpha roof specific lap sealant you reckon? And from your note and experience, no need to pull up existing material?? That would make much shorter work of the project....
Oh I may have not been clear, if you are going to apply sealant, you definitely want to remove the old stuff if it has molded. I was just saying that the black may not mean the sealant is bad and you may not have to do anything, unless it is not aesthetically pleasing.

Alpha would like to tell you that only their sealant is approved for their roof, and as a result, Redwood will say that also, but Dicor says their sealant will work fine on an Alpha roof. Who do you believe? Most likely either brand is fine, but I would stick to Alpha if you can.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:42 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks Dave. Loving this.... Having so much fun spending money and doing maintenance I can't understand why I didn't start doing this way back haha

If you're looking for a maintenance free toy........sell the RV. But it's the same with a boat too.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:57 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
One more thing... When you guys move main cabin slides out or in, do they make any kind of unusual noise or is the movement very quiet? I get a sort of "startup" squeal especially at retraction of slides (especially the door side). A real screech at first then you hear a squeaking that sounds like lube needed. I have lubed the gears and slide bars twice since we bought it in August ( preowned) and it still makes the noise. Wondering if just a Lippert characteristic or if I have an adjustment issue.....doesn't sound normal. Running buddy of ours has Landmark that is really quiet..
I

Our 2012 36RL has always been rather noisy I thought when putting the hydraulic operated slides in and out. A lot of "creeks, whines, pops and moans". I recently had the trailer into the Crossroads Factory Service Center in Topeka, Indiana and asked Randy the shop foreman about the noise. After moving the slides in and out, he said that it was normal and just mainly the slide seals making the noise. So, for what it is worth..............

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:20 PM   #40

Hey stoker, redwoods just love to hate the Texas heat Just keep all the slides, cricks, and crannies well lubed up with dry lube so dust and texas dirt doesn't stick to it and all should be good. Has ours at the port a beach for a month and needed about a five gallon bucket of lube to get the squeaks and popping out of our slides and steps
David and Beth with our sidekick red heeler Queso the "big cheese". 2016 38GK with double unagaurd awnings with led lights and trailair air tri-glide pin box 8K axles with Linc System. 2012 Ram 3500 4x4 crew cab Laramie LWB Edge Juice with attitude with B&W 20k companion hitch.
DLRAKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaners, inspection, lubricants, maintenance, seals