Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
Site Team

All,

While getting our coach ready for an upcoming trip, I have again noticed the odor of LP gas in the vicinity of both tanks on the outside. I have noticed this ever since we have owned the unit, but, it is always very faint. Do others of you ever notice this odor when you are next to the gas tanks?

I have checked all of the gas line connections and they seem to be tight. I did notice that two of the connections to the gas tank switch overon the left side don't appear to have any teflon tape on them.

GuyEdited by: hoosierguy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #2

You need to go to the hardware store and get a bottle of leak tech. It's great for finding propane leaks.

john
j1251b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #3

I agree, that stuff works.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
Site Team

I know this may sound a little crazy but this is how I check for leaks.

#1 open the door and MAKE SURE you have good ventilation so you don't have a gas pocket.

#2 start following the gas lines and fittings with a lighter

Anywhere there's a leak will be a small flame like a pilot light. Simply blow it out and fix the leak.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:19 PM   #5

Dishsoap in a little water and a toothbrush works in a pinch. It reacts with bubbles just like leak tech.

atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #6

We also have the odor and it is driving my wife CRAZY! We have had it checked twice and no one can find a leak.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #7

When checking for leaks, include that POS red Chinese regulator on the opposite side of the changeover regulator (curb side on ours). I replaced that twice on my last rig because it would rupture the diaphragm and leak out the weep.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #8
Site Team

I have had the gas tank valves on both tanks turned off for 2 weeks so the only gas that should be available is what is in the lines to furnace and kitchen range from when I checked those earlier. The only place I notice the odor is at the location of the tanks. I am going to check for leaks today. I had the tanks filled earlier in the year when it was cold. Do these tanks have an over flow mechanism that will release gas if the pressure builds with temperature?

I think I will disconnect the tanks after checking for leaks and move them away from the trailer to see if the odor goes with the tanks.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Guy

Old 06-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #9

The pressure relief for the tanks is on the valve itself.

Did you get any oil on you while filling tanks or anything? I got some oily discharge from the little 11 lb tank I use for my grill last time we were out, and that propane smell stayed with me all day!
Old 06-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #10

Propane itself is odorless as is natural gas. Mercaptan is added to both to give them a distinctive smell so that its presence will be noticeable. Because of many possibilities you can have the odor without actually having propane present. If you have checked all the connections etc. for leaks and still have the smell, I wouldn't be overly concerned You may be able to get rid of the odor washing the tanks, connections and propane compartment with soap and water to remove any residual mercaptan.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:23 PM   #11
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
When checking for leaks, include that POS red Chinese regulator on the opposite side of the changeover regulator (curb side on ours). I replaced that twice on my last rig because it would rupture the diaphragm and leak out the weep.
Bringing this thread back from the dead. To date I've replace both propane hoses and now it appears the red regulator is leaking as Atom mentions above. Everyone should keep an eye on the propane system as it seems there many issues to be had with the OEM cheap components...
Old 10-05-2014, 04:17 PM   #12

Tony on the other forum said he knew of a Marshall Brass quality replacement
Old 10-05-2014, 11:03 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg View Post
Bringing this thread back from the dead. To date I've replace both propane hoses and now it appears the red regulator is leaking as Atom mentions above. Everyone should keep an eye on the propane system as it seems there many issues to be had with the OEM cheap components...

About a year ago, I had to replace a leaky LP pigtail on one the curb side of the our 36RL. My evaluation was that the pigtails were/are too short (15 inches) placing too much tension on the pigtail when connected to our 30 lb. tanks. I replaced that pigtail with a 20 inch long pigtail.

Recently, while on our trip back from Washington and located in Custer, SD and the temperature dropping down into the 20's, I started noticing a rotten smell in the kitchen area. I asked my wife what she put in the garbage container and even checked it to see what was in there. Within a minute or so, the carbon monoxide / LP detector went off with a very piercing tone. I was very puzzled, to say the least, as to why the detector went off because I had not yet smelled LP gas. Within a couple of more minutes, I did start to smell LP and quickly went outside to check the LP tanks. I discovered that the pigtail on the other side was very noticeably leaking (hissing), so, I shut off the tank on that side and move the tank to the other side (because the other tank was empty). Fortunately, that solved the immediate issue and I was able to use the furnace that night while it was getting colder than we had expected to see.

Sure was happy that the CO/LP detector was doing its job. That is the first time in 35 years and 4 trailers with these types of detectors that I ever had one of these detectors alarm.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:40 PM   #14

Yikes!
Always glad to hear when a detector pulls a save, but also sorry to hear the incident ever happened.
Curious if you have the 30 or 40# tanks? My pigtails are about perfect on my 40#, but it would be a reach to get to the valve on a 30#
Old 10-06-2014, 03:35 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
Quote:
Yikes!
Always glad to hear when a detector pulls a save, but also sorry to hear the incident ever happened.
Curious if you have the 30 or 40# tanks? My pigtails are about perfect on my 40#, but it would be a reach to get to the valve on a 30#
We have 30 lb tanks and the pig tail on the street side was banjo string tight because it was too short. Replaced it with a longer pigtail hose.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:00 AM   #16
lwg

I replaced the leaky pigtails earlier this year.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:17 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Yikes!
Brad,

I was very glad that the CO/LP detector did it's job. What was really peculiar was that the smell initially was not that of LP. It was more like very rotten vegetable or lettuce. It took a few minutes for it to start smelling like LP. When I checked the tank, the pigtail had a pinhole that was spraying gas towards where the LP lines were going into the interior of the trailer. So, I think the gas was slowly working its way in through the storage area, then into interior of the trailer. Fortunately, we do not leave the oven pilot on as we only light the pilot when we use the oven.

I have the 30 lb. tanks. I agree that the original pigtails would not have been so tight if used with 40 lb. tanks. I have replaced the original 15 inch pigtails with 20 inch pigtails and that has removed the issue of too high of a tension.

Guy

Old 10-06-2014, 07:00 PM   #18

LP has no odor, they add it so you can smell it.
Bill
b41wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg View Post
Tony on the other site gave me a Marshall Brass 130#139 as a good replacement regulator for the red one.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:49 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by b41wright View Post
LP has no odor, they add it so you can smell it.
Bill
So far as I have ever seen, you can not buy "unscented" LP gas. We all know what LP smells like. What fooled me was the other rotten smell which was nothing like LP until after a few minutes when it started building up inside the coach.