Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2014, 03:34 AM   #1

looking at redwood from teton

I have a 02 teton and looking to replace it and I have a few question about the heating of the under belly and the way the water lines are run in the redwood in my teton all the water lines are run interior except for one coming from the water tank which was heat tapped from the factory not once did I freeze up and I have stayed in northern nd. In the winter with no skirting at -20 + but I have 2 furnaces one for main living and belly and one for bedroom and belly all my tanks are heated also how are the redwoods in the winter in such conditions and how are the waterlines run is there a option f9r extra furnace and heated tanks and is the belly heated from front to back

Mark
markmelissaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:24 AM   #2

Nope

The redwood will not be as suitable for cold as your Teton.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:07 PM   #3

I can vouch for AA's 'to the point statement' since, as we speak,
ours is at the dealer awaiting replacement of a residential fridge ice maker line that runs out the slide and is exposed with very little insulation, a shower faucet mixing valve, and an outside shower...

hopefully we get it back this week so we don't miss our planned Mardi Gras vacation next week !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:13 PM   #4
Site Team

The Teton was a great RV but very heavy. It's my understanding that you can order heat pads for the tanks from the factory. One of the neat things about Redwood is the company's willingness to adjust the trailer in production to assure you get what you want. There have been some on this forum that have ordered adaptions.

I don't believe the stock Redwood would handle the winter living as well as what your Teton has. However, I think with some prep and working with the factory it could be worked out.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:03 PM   #5

Mid-Atlantic

This year the Mid-Atlantic winter has been the worst in recent years.. we went for almost two weeks with the temperature below freezing, but not below 0.. the only issue we had was the fresh water tank froze - gray water valves are always open and always drained, black tank never froze, and the Pirit water supply line did great.. when you check your fresh water level during the day and it reads full and then check again at night and its reading zero, well, it's kinda cold. Hope this helps...
tsimpsonerau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:00 PM   #6

My brother-in-law has a mid 2000 Teton with the artic package. It will stand the cold better that our Redwood, since it has all the sewer lines wrapped and heat tape on them with tank heaters however this all cost him extra. If a person is going to spend a lot of time in cold weather where he is going to use this stuff it is probable worth the money. However we try to avoid as much cold weather as possible I'm glad I didn't pay extra for the cold weather gear. We stay in the same area as him most of the time, and I don't believe he has got his money's worth out of it.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:44 PM   #7

I appreciate all the replies. My problem I travel so much for work in so many areas I have to have the protection maybe I will call the factory and talk to one of the engineers maybe have them look at how my teton is setup and do some modifications
markmelissaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:57 PM   #8

I also use mine for traveling for work. I have been in CO, NJ, NM, MA, GA and currently in NC. All weather at all times of years and have not had anything freeze to date. We stay in parks that are year round and don't require us to use our fresh water tank so I can't comment on that part. The heated underbelly has kept everything warm enough not to freeze. A simple heat trace on the fresh water hose keeps it from freezing. We also skirt the camper with something to keep the wind out during the winter. Currently, we are using 'silt fence' to do this. It is not insulation but keeps the wind out. Even with out this, it's not a problem, just a little cheaper on propane.