Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #1

We have a 2011 36RL and I went out this morning to raise the jacks. The control panel came on, I pushed the retract button and nothing happened. After trying every thing I could think of I decided to call Lippert Components, Inc. When the tech came on the phone he had me do several things then he said the control panel is bad. He said the panel was out of warranty and would cost $273.00. He said their warranty is only for one year. When we purchased our unit it was supposed to come with a 2 year warranty. I tried calling Redwood but everybody was gone for the holidays.
j1251b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:58 PM   #2

Check the in-line 10amp fuse in the battery compartment. It's located in the back of the wiring harness about half way up on the right side.
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsvr
Check the in-line 10amp fuse in the battery compartment. It's located in the back of the wiring harness about half way up on the right side.
I check the 10 amp circuit breaker its ok.

Thanks
Old 12-28-2012, 06:14 PM   #4

Are your batteries up to the task or have they been off line and not charged for awhile. If in storage I'm told that the system is still active keeping things like the CO detector engaged and consuming power. Good luck!
Old 12-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobys Home
Are your batteries up to the task or have they been off line and not charged for awhile. If in storage I'm told that the system is still active keeping things like the CO detector engaged and consuming power. Good luck!
The batteries are fully charged.

Thanks for the info
Old 12-28-2012, 10:13 PM   #6

If your jacks extend but not retract, you can try this. There is a solenoid mounted on the wall in your battery compartment. Switch the green and yellow wires. This will reverse the direction of the legs. Then when you push the extend jacks button on the control panel, the jacks should retract. This will only work a couple of times until that portion of the electronic control module is fried as well. The real problem is the ground wire on the solenoid manufactured by Trombetta. It needs to be direct to the batteries for good grounding, otherwise it will continually burn out ECM's.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #7
Site Team

I believe you got faulty information in regards to the warranty. When I was at the factory for service this past fall, I asked Brian (Go-Go-Gadget) about the warranties pertaining to the entertainment/DVD player. He said EVERYTHING is covered in the Redwood for 2 years. My concern was the DVD player which he said they'd continue replacing until the problem was resolved, which they did.

I think as long as you're reasonable they will be too. Normal wear and tear or abuse probably won't be covered

The Lippert rep. probably wasn't aware of the Redwood warranty.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
Site Team

If you're in a hurry to leave, you can take a power drill and hook it up to the pump. This wouldn't hurt the system at all, you're drill just becomes the pump motor.

In an emergency with any of the hydro. system, you can release the fluid line and compress the cylinder like when you do a brake job. Then to keep the cylinder from extending while going down the road, hook the line back up. By doing this you'll loose some fluid so have a bucket ready. The bad part of retracting your jacks like this is that I wouldn't want to disconnect the trailer and rely on the landing gear to hold up the trailer once I did this until the problem was resolved.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #9

I think Dave is right about the Lippert warranty. Your warranty is with Redwood, not Lippert. Redwood gets a warranty from Lippert. We often offer a warranty beyond the manufacturer's warranty in our business for competitive advantages. In case of a failure my company absorbs the cost regardless if the manufacturer warranty is still in effect.

You probably can contact a Redwood dealer or a Crossroads repair shop instead of calling the factory for more immediate resolution.

Good luck and let us know how this turns out.

Gary
csg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:25 PM   #10

We had the same problem Saturday morning. I went on line to Lippert and did the following: There is a valve at the top of the jack on the front nearest the leveling control panel (it's hard to see because it faces forward and is inside the LP tank compartment). Take a 5/32 allan wrench and turn it clockwise until it stops. Then push the button inside the coach for "main slide in". I was surprised but this raised the front jacks. To do the same for the other two sets of jacks, I opened the two valves in the battery compartment with the allan wrench. Once they're up, you need to close the valves (counterclock wise) so they don't drop down. I am headed out to check the in line 10 amp fuse. Good luck!
Lon & Connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #11

Hey Dave. You seem toknow a lot about most things so why is Redwood not addressing the issues with these landing and leveling jacks in a more direct manner? I e mailed your Mr Go Go Gadget about the popping and leaking of the jacks an his reply was to contact lippert. I will be replacing two jacks through Lazydays but they are dealing with Lippert. Also I have contacted Lippert directly about these problems but no call back at all. Seems like an overall problem with these jacks as all types of 5ers with these jacks are having somekind of problem. What is your nice guy take on this?
DonMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #12

Since owning this r/d. We have had very little complaint, about the level sysytem. but, then again, we have not had a chance to used it much.This r/d,spends most ofit's time in the shop for repairs. Still there, this time,since 11-6-12. No end in sight.

LillyputzEdited by: lillyputz
Old 01-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon & Connie
<!-- bmi_SafeAddOnload(bmi_load,"bmi_orig_img",0);//-->
We had the same problem Saturday morning.Â* I went on line to Lippert and did the following:Â* There is a valve at the top of the jack on the front nearest the leveling control panel (it's hard to see because it faces forward and is inside the LP tank compartment).Â* Take a 5/32 allan wrench and turn it clockwise until it stops.Â* Then push the button inside the coach for "main slide in".Â* I was surprised but this raised the front jacks.Â* To do the same for the other two sets of jacks, I opened the two valves in the battery compartment with the allan wrench.Â* Once they're up, you need to close the valves (counterclock wise) so they don't drop down.Â* I am headed out to check the in line 10 amp fuse.Â* Good luck!
Thanks for the info. We received our new ECM panel today. I will be installing it and hopefully it will work.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMac

Hey Dave. You seem toknow a lot about most things so why is Redwood not addressing the issues with these landing and leveling jacks in a more direct manner? I e mailed your Mr Go Go Gadget about the popping and leaking of the jacks an his reply was to contact lippert. I will be replacing two jacks through Lazydays but they are dealing with Lippert. Also I have contacted Lippert directly about these problems but no call back at all. Seems like an overall problem with these jacks as all types of 5ers with these jacks are having somekind of problem. What is your nice guy take on this?
Well.......I'm as concerned as everybody else about them but unfortunately, although it would be tempting to take them off with a cutting torch...I'm not sure the problem will be solved. Unfortunately we don't have many options because most of the manufactures all use Lippert as a jack source. As soon as someone else starts building a better system and competition grows, the problem will be fixed. Thankfully Redwood is standing behind the repairs while lippert continue to scratch their heads. I just had one jack replaced last month and yes "Tinkerbell" (Go-Go-Gadget wasn't there) took care of the problem with a smile.

I sure hope they get the problems figured out before all of our warranties run out. After the warrenty is up, I might be taking a trip to the tractor suply store to purchase a few hydraulic cylinders. After firing up the mig welder and about 5 fingers of jack......the problem might get solved. At least I'll think so until the next morning......when I see it in day light wonder what the heck I was thinking.

Edited by: Dave&Ginny
Old 01-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1251b
We have a 2011 36RL and I went out this morning to raise the jacks. The control panel came on, I pushed the retract button and nothing happened. After trying every thing I could think of I decided to call Lippert Components, Inc. When the tech came on the phone he had me do several things then he said the control panel is bad. He said the panel was out of warranty and would cost $273.00. He said their warranty is only for one year. When we purchased our unit it was supposed to come with a 2 year warranty. I tried calling Redwood but everybody was gone for the holidays.
I received a level up leveler controller from Lippert installed it this morning. Everything is good jacks go up and down. Talked to Brian at Redwood and it will be covered under warranty. He said everything is covered for the first 2 years. So life is good.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:40 PM   #16

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce

Quest for knowledge from you experienced travelers...When you store your units do you put down all jacks and level the unit or just the front jacls.
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:56 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce

Quest for knowledge from you experienced travelers...When you store your units do you put down all jacks and level the unit or just the front jacls.
I level the unit which helps take the weight off the tires and springs
Old 01-31-2013, 03:49 AM   #18

Quote:

We do not store our unit. We live in ours full time. We have found that if you cycle your jacks once a month they seem to work better.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:25 AM   #19

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce

Does just leveling the trailer work to take weight off tires andx springs or do you actually try to get the tires off the ground
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:48 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:

For what it is worth, I specifically asked my dealer's service manager about taking the weight off the wheels when in storage and he said it wasn't necessary. However, I do use the Level-Up system to level the trailer during the winter while it is stored in my pole barn. I also plan take the wheels off the concrete floor this week and rotate the wheels to work the grease around some.

GuyEdited by: hoosierguy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote