Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #1

We know we're seen this in the past, but my search didn't easily give us the info we're looking for. What is the source that a lot of you have used to purchase LEDs to replace our halogen lights?
Thanks!
Old 05-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #2

I got my LED's off Ebay. All you need to do is go to Ebay type G4 base LED's in the search box. I have had my LED's for over a year and still going strong.
j1251b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #3

Be sure to order "G4 warm white".
Here is a link:

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=49879252375

Takes about three weeks to get them, but at .17 cents each, it's worth it.

Edited by: Adamsvr
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:40 PM   #4

When you go to that link you must place a bid, not buy it now, and the bid minimum is .22, with no guarantee to win
Any insight on this?
Old 05-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #5

I wound up getting them for a $1.49 each. Still not bad for what Camping World is selling them for... something in the neighborhood of $11 or $12 bucks each. Replaced all our lights for under $50 bucks.
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:40 PM   #6

After checking out a lot of web sites and trying to be informed about led's, I ended up getting mine from M4 Products. This is their website,
http://www.m4products.com/I ordered a few to try, and after getting them and trying them out, I replaced all the old bulbs. I took less than a week for order to receiving. They are not the cheapest, but they have different lights that give different lumens. They explain a lot about led's. They also have every light I needed, including the ones over the island. They also have what they call a plate bulb that replaces the 1041/1056, but instead of being round, it is flat and sticks to the scare light fixture or door light. All the leds face out and it gives better light. I would suggest it you are planning on going with leds, at least check out this site and read up on them even if you don't order from them.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:13 AM   #7

We appreciate so much this information & will definitely check it all out!
Old 05-29-2013, 08:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsvr
I wound up getting them for a $1.49 each. Still not bad for what Camping World is selling them for... something in the neighborhood of $11 or $12 bucks each. Replaced all our lights for under $50 bucks.
You definitely win the prize for least expensive LED purchase. That's crazy cheap.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #9
Site Team

We have LED lights and don't really feel that they give out enough light but we like the other features. They don't draw bugs, put out less heat and eat less electricity. We ended up keeping the LED lights in the main area of the trailer but all of the small reading lights we switched back to the original lights.

I guess our old eyes simply require more light.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:42 PM   #10

Not all LED's are the same. The lumens can differ depending on the chip and number. Also a difference between cool white and warm white.

"Lumens:

One of the most common questions we get about our lights is how many lumens they are. Lumens is a measure of light output for a light, but rating lumens is often confused with the true visible output of a light, especially when referring to LED lights.

It is common for Internet shoppers to browse the Internet and simply look for the light bulb with the highest posted lumens for the lowest possible price. There is much more to consider than just the rated lumen.

Quality LED retrofit light bulbs most commonly use what is called a SMD (Surface Mounted Diode) LED chip. You can identify the chip by it's size, yellow color and square profile. On SMD LED lights, lumens are simply calculated per chip. Larger 5050 SMD LED chips are rated at 15 lumens per chip. Our most common 5050 bulb uses 24 chips, so its calculated lumen output is 360 lumens (15 x 24 = 360 lumens). You can use this same calculation for any competitor’s bulb with 5050 SMD chips, 15 lumens x number of chips = total specified lumens. If they are quoting any higher lumens than the calculated amount, they are simply exaggerating their light output.

Smaller 3528 SMD chips are rated at 5 lumens per chip, so our 30 chip bulb specification is 150 lumens, but please read on.

Visible Light:

Now that the specifications have been clarified, let’s first talk about the reality of light output. What you visually see out of a light fixture has a couple of variables.First, on all cylindrical type LED lights, you lose some light to the backside of the fixture since some of the LEDs are pointed inward. Second, though some people don’t care for the sterile look of Cool Bright White lights (5000k), they do visually produce more light than Warm White lights. (Please see our section on Color Range for more information on the difference of Warm White and Cool White light.)"
Old 05-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #11

Dave it could be your bourbon intake that is causing poor eyesight!! BTW we are traveling up I95 this summer north to Nova Scotia and plan on leaving around the 10th or 12th of June. Are you and Ginny going to be anywhere near the East Coast this summer?
Old 05-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLJDM
Dave it could be your bourbon intake that is causing poor eyesight!! BTW we are traveling up I95 this summer north to Nova Scotia and plan on leaving around the 10th or 12th of June. Are you and Ginny going to be anywhere near the East Coast this summer?
It's probably the little blue pills messing with my eyes.....I'm going to head back to Florida (with my son this time) around the 3ard week of July. Where are you going to be then? Send me an email at dm586778@gmail.com. I'm going back to the Oncologist next week and if the test aren't what I want I may be heading to Texas to MD Anderson to get another opinion before I let these "yahoos" cut on me.

I'd really like to see you, Sam and the "Animal Kingdom" again. Besides you folks have the good whiskey I can't afford.