Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2014, 03:46 AM   #1

Leaking Jack

Went to take the Dish receiver out of the Redwood today, and when I opened the door I noticed one of its feet looked wet. A drip of hydraulic fluid forming on one of the bolts on the bottom, but the actual seal around the piston is dry.

Where do they leak from? Is it there an O-ring between the two pieces the bolt holds together? Just curious, nothing I would fix myself.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:09 AM   #2

There is only one set of seals, located at the end of the cylinder. The bolt at the end of the ram just holds the pad in place. It's either leaking from the cylinder/ram seal, the hose fitting as it attaches to the cylinder housing, or there is a leak in the hydraulic line. Sometimes the various fittings dry out over the winter. It is possible it will re-seal with a little use. Either way if it's just an occasional drip I'd ignore it for awhile.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:39 PM   #3

I had that happen to my right side middle jack. It turned out to be an "O" ring on the plug for the fourth hole at the top of the jack. Check that one out, it may me leaking there.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:03 PM   #4
Site Team

I had the same thing last year and Redwood replace my jack. They said the "O-ring" will last longer if we remember to wipe off the dirt and dust off the leg of the jack before retracting. Apparently the the dust acts as sand paper on the seals.

If I only stay over knight I don't bother wiping the dust off unless it was real windy. Otherwise I hit them with silicone and a microfiber towel.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
I had the same thing last year and Redwood replace my jack. They said the "O-ring" will last longer if we remember to wipe off the dirt and dust off the leg of the jack before retracting. Apparently the the dust acts as sand paper on the seals.

If I only stay over knight I don't bother wiping the dust off unless it was real windy. Otherwise I hit them with silicone and a microfiber towel.
Thanks all, its going in for some warranty anyway.

Dave I do wipe them, but I wonder if it happened the other day when I hooked up when it was so cold and that leg was slow coming up (made the auto-retract assume they were up).

I think I need to just leave it alone when its under 10.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote