Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #1

I am having the KVH Satellite dome installed on my new 36RL next week once it arrives at the dealer. My question is this: has anyone else installed a dome on their roof, especially the KVH? I would like to have it mounted between the a/c units, but I am not sure it can be done due to the angle of the roof line?? My only other flat spot to mount it would be up overhead of the bathroom area as that part of the roof appears to be almost flat. I'd rather keep it lower in back, but dont want to buy it and then find out it wont work for this coach. Any thoughts or input would be most appreciated...

Old 06-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #2

Hi Dave:

I have the Winegard SK3005 HD dish mounted between the ACs on my RL. As it stands, the high-point of the trailer is still the front Coleman Mach A/C at 13' 0" (with G614s & Trail-Air hitch) - so I have to be careful.

At these heights,you have to be very cautious about mounting anythinglike a dish ahead of the front A/C. Plus, the factory RG-6 cable bulkheads areon the curbside roof in the area between the A/Cs.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #3

Thanks Michael! I have seen a lot of the HD dishes on both the Class A and fifth wheels the past few months. I am sure they work great, but for whatever reason I would rather not go with that option if I don't have to. I just think the black dome up there will look better as it will match the black/tan paint job and gives the coach a cleaner look. (in my humble opinion). I will have to reach out to KVH in the morning to see what the options are for mounting a dome on the angled roof. Hopefully they will be able to tell me some good news and installation between the a/c units will not be a problem...

Old 06-29-2012, 07:49 AM   #4

Does the KVH have the ability to to track more than one satellite at a time?
The reason I'm asking is because we had one of those Tailgater(VuQube) satellite dishes that could only get the signal from one satellite. Sometimes when we changed channels we had to wait for it to switch satellites. It had the ability to lock into two satellites but only target one at a time. We have Dish Network which uses three satellites so we were never able to get the channels from sat 129W and we couldn't set the DVR to record something if we were watching something on another channel. That's why we went with the Winegard Trav'ler when we bought the Redwood.

Enroute... I don't know what capabilities the KVH domes have when it comes to HD, DVR or receiving signals from multiple birds but there's a discussion on the Motorhomes Magazine forum that sort of compares the KVH with the Trav'ler. You may want to check it out.
http://forums.motorhomemagazine.com/Index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25477982/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm
TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #5

Well this was sure not the news I was hoping for. I called KVH and asked them about installed the dome between the a/c units on an angle. They stated that the dome cannot be mounted on an angle, it must be flat and level front to back and left to right. If any warranty issues arise and KVH or the tech notes that the dome was mounted on an angle, all warranty coverages are void! Does anyone have a photo or two of their coach having the winegard Trav'ler on it?? I am just not a fan of how it looks having the "dish" up there as the clean lines and finish work of the Redwood are one of the major things that attracted me to this product to begin with. The only level place I can find on the roof line is above the water closet. The dome is 12" tall and I am not sure how far over 13' having the dome mounted above the bath would that make the coach. I am still waiting for the phone call from the dealer to let me know my coach is being shipped. last call stated that it is supposed to ship on Sunday. I'd like to have a decision made on which satellite antenna I am having installed soon so the dealer can get the thing ordered and in stock ahead of time. Thanks for the link...appears that many folks on the motorhome page do not like the domes ~ opposite of what I expected to read.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:30 AM   #6

I'm going up on my roof today and I will take a picture(s) of the install I did.

Question, is the KVH dome HD?
Edited by: 5th_Time
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #7

I have a winegard direct tv slimline. The profile when stored is lower than the AC units. It is located between the two AC units, center of the coach, and a little towards the rear of the space between the two AC units as compaired to centered between the two AC units. Unless I walk about 20 or 30 ft from the coach, I can't even see it nor can my wife (perhaps we are just too short!!!)
Old 06-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #8

Thank you both! It sounds like I would be happier with the service the Slimline is going to give me verse having potential issues with the KVH dome from not being level. I will be going with direct tv as well.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #9

Had the Trav'ler Slim Line on our Montana and now have one on the Redwood. Love it. Because it's a full size Dish, it give you excellent signal strength compared to a smaller Dome Dish.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #10

Thanks! I too am trading in my Montana for a new 36RL. What are your thoughts on the Redwood overall??