Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #1

To make a long story short, my wife lost her keys to our 36RL. Trying to replace them I headed to a nearby RV dealership to get another set. They looked at my keys and annotated the number on the main front door key, went to a backroom and pulled the same key that was precut. Sure enough, it worked. Kind of bothers me each key is not unique and anyone could get into our RV.
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #2

Alarming! My sense of safety has been shaken.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #3

I wonder if all the keys are the same or if there are several different cuts? Commonsense says there should be different keys but.....
Old 01-23-2013, 04:58 PM   #4

This is not unusual.I don't know how it is with RV lock which we have on ours how, but with our other 5th wheels with the regular lock there were just so many lock numbers and most dealers had a set that would cover just about all the campers. GM used to be the same way. I know I had an olds, and it's key would open the cars of a couple of my friends who had chevys. The storage compartment situation use to be worse. Most of them used the same key. This being said, in 11 years of full timeing, and many years of camping before that, I have never had anybody get into my camper or storage area.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
Site Team

The door locks have 2 key holes, one is the regular lock and the other is the dead bolt. It's my understanding that the master keys that the dealers have wont work on the deadbolt locks. When I dropped my trailer off at the factory, they requested for me not to lock the deadbolt for this reason.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:51 AM   #6

Nope, her precut key works for both the regular lock and the deadbolt.
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote