Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2020, 02:58 AM   #1

Keeping it stock

I have read many threads about the upgrades people have done on their Redwoods. Many sound like great improvements. I have had my Redwood for 5 years now, and have never upgraded anything. Always done all the required maintenance, but kept it stock. So far I put about 20 to 25K miles on it and I have been very pleased with its performance.
So my question is, how many have kept their RW stock, and have been pleased with its performance?
2015 Polaris RZR 900
danrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 03:20 AM   #2

Being satisfied is a gift....your fortunate..I can honestly say that I have never been totally satisfied with any major purchase, be it vehicles....RV's....properties.
Always improved / modified things to suit us. Again, I am envious of anyone one who is happy with things left stock. I guess a big reason is I have never got anything actually "built" for me...order it new from the factory.
Our Redwood will continue to be altered most probably till it no longer belongs to us, but the modifications are getting more basic.
My next task will be building something to fit into the basement to organize all our stuff easier (instead of things being stacked)...especially as we move to full time RW living..
2015 38RL, Full Body Paint, Slide in Slide, full Laundry, RV Fridge, 5.5 Onan, Magnum Inverter Charger, Samlex Solar, Trav'ler Sat System. Heated Tanks, R.O. Filtration, Sailun Tires**2016 F-450, Reese 25K Elite
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 04:27 PM   #3

Not sure of the reasoning for not making improvements, but as stated if you are satisfied.
There are several items on these things that in your amount of years & mileage are due for replacement (tires, shackles, batteries & bearings to name a few) & most of those the new/improved replacements are a much better option for the money than "stock".
If you're thinking "keeping it stock" makes it worth more at trade in or resale, I hate to inform you, but as I posted to another on here that's selling theirs, used RVs are only valuable to the guy trying to sell it regardless of whether stock or modified.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 02:50 AM   #4

We have upgraded many items on our Redwood when they either did not function correctly or simply wore out.
We always look for a better product in fit, form or function when replacing a non functioning, non working or worn out item.
Take the suspension, when things starting wearing out due to the amount of travel we do, we installed a much better MoRyde Suspension and have not had any issues since. When our Toilet wore out, would not hold water, then the pedestal filled up with water due to a crack in the bowl and the pedal fell off, we replaced it with a much better Dometic 320 Toilet. Again no more issues since replacing. And the list goes on when you are fulltiming in your RV.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 02:53 PM   #5

We haven't done anything either. Of course we are just one year in. I guess we might if we are in it long enough, but basically I'm in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" camp.
glenwolde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:47 PM   #6

I have done at least thirty projects on my 2018. From adding shelves in the kitchen to replacing the sewer drain valves and re-routing the control cables so they work as intended. Insulating were needed and closing off holes in the basement and floor with steel wool and sealant to keep out rodents and the weather. It takes me a lot of hours to get things the way I want them and the list keeps growing. If you spend eight months a year in an RV there are always things to repair and replace and improve. I call my projects the "continuous improvement program". If you don't love to work on your rig you probably won't enjoy RVing.
Old 04-28-2020, 10:10 PM   #7

The biggest problem with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" is that when it does break it will be at the worst possible time and place.
There are known weak links in the suspension and that's the reason there is a group of us who keep asking to things like the MORryde IS to at least be an option. That way the more experienced travelers would have the option to get ahead of suspension issues, rather than dealing with the problems while on the road.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 03:42 PM   #8
Site Team

Wes - I’m the same as you. Been a car nut and boat person all my life and can’t leave anything alone. When I learned to fly and got an airplane I even started changing that !! Don’t ask me what an STC costs for a nine upgrade on a plane .......

On your basement storage, look at MorRyde Stor-Mor sliding trays. Same as in a Class A and they make them in all types and sizes. Not cheap, but quality is typical MorRyde. I have a full slide 20”x84” in my basement and love it. Extends out 65% on each side so you can get to anything. 20” just clears the door opening on left side if you move it back enough to still store short ladders and stuff in front of it.
Old 04-30-2020, 03:46 PM   #9
Site Team

Here are pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BA0009E5-2B6A-40A3-A34D-E9FA09620217.jpg (280.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 91964C1C-D8C1-4ECA-8685-1F8ABFD3EEE8.jpg (269.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DCAB2B3A-537A-49A3-9146-90C5E2725783.jpg (224.0 KB, 23 views)
Old 04-30-2020, 03:47 PM   #10
Site Team

Apparently my iPad decided they looked better sideways. No idea how to fix that
Old 04-30-2020, 10:58 PM   #11

Thankyou for the post and pics Vaughn....Looks like what I need....I am hot on the trail to contact them for details...Cost is not my first consideration...I have always been able to get my head around paying for things of good design and quality...
And after being in the marine industry (44' trawler owner) for a number of years..."price sticker shock" doesnt effect me as it once did....Although I think aviation is worse than marine for costs !
Thanks again....will post what I find and "todays " rates for a sliding tray..
2015 38RL, Full Body Paint, Slide in Slide, full Laundry, RV Fridge, 5.5 Onan, Magnum Inverter Charger, Samlex Solar, Trav'ler Sat System. Heated Tanks, R.O. Filtration, Sailun Tires**2016 F-450, Reese 25K Elite
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 12:14 AM   #12
Site Team

I’ve been very happy with it Wes. Going on almost 5 years and the last three Fulltime so it gets used a lot.
And like you, I don’t mind paying for quality. I’m a CG licensed 100 Ton Master and delivery Captain. Also private pilot. If you think Marine is bad $$$, let me introduce you to small planes and aviation. Lol

If memory serves, I think mine was around $440 when I bought it. Mine is 20” by 84”.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:41 PM   #13

Replaced these in our 2016 39 MB
Rear day shade.
Toilet
LP has regulators
Door hinges
Ceiling vent fans
Generator transfer switch
Door lock 2 times.
RickF is offline   Reply With Quote