Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2014, 09:25 PM   #1
Traveling

Inverter Question

We ordered the residential fridge package with the inverter. I have been trying to learn all of the new technology, and we DO have a great solar setup in our Lance Camper that has helped me, but we do NOT have an inverter.

I was wondering, when the inverter is ON, is cranking out 1000 watts ALL the time (i.e. draining the batteries) or does it dial itself down to the load? I hope I haven't made myself look like an idiot by asking, but I just can't seem to get this one.

Thanks for NOT laughing at me!
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:41 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTBaker View Post
We ordered the residential fridge package with the inverter. I have been trying to learn all of the new technology, and we DO have a great solar setup in our Lance Camper that has helped me, but we do NOT have an inverter.

I was wondering, when the inverter is ON, is cranking out 1000 watts ALL the time (i.e. draining the batteries) or does it dial itself down to the load? I hope I haven't made myself look like an idiot by asking, but I just can't seem to get this one.

Thanks for NOT laughing at me!
That is the the maximum power rating or maximum load that the inverter can safely supply. It can supply up to that power load. If the load is not there, the inverter will only draw its quiescent (internal) operating power from the batteries.

By the way, there are no dumb questions here so don't feel bad for asking.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:45 PM   #3
Traveling

Oh thank you!! I had hoped that it wouldn't be sucking 1000 watts ALL the time, and common sense told me that it couldn't or you could never make it very long on just battery power. We plan on adding about 2 more new group 31 batteries (depending on what we find out after using it), we have them in the camper and the difference from regular RV/marine batteries is beyond words. They are STRONG. Feels like you are plugged in! When the finances recover (IF they ever do!!) we will add solar. We love the freedom it gives you. Thanks again.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:28 PM   #4

One thing you can do is make sure they DO put 3 good batteries in from day one...

It took us weeks to get the 3 batteries we should have had for the Res pkg
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:17 PM   #5
Traveling

our order sheet only says we get two. That would be great if we got three! But I will definitely make sure they are group 31 batteries, thanks!
Old 03-28-2014, 11:22 PM   #6

We got two up front and one in the front edge of the drivers side basement.

ours was a 38gk, and a 2014, so maybe they changed it... dunno - might check your order sheet !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:02 AM   #7

TNTBaker,

You have not said whether you will have a genny (generator) or not. If your plugged into shore power all the time, as you know, you'll never have an issue. If your traveling and just briefly stopping for overnights you won't have an issue due to the trucks battery generating power to your trailer batteries.
Now, some Pure Sine Wave inverters have a battery charger built in and its an integral part of the unit.

I'm unfamiliar with the units that are installed in Redwoods. I don't know whether the factory installs the inverter/charger unit. I would recommend that you contact a knowledgeable Rep from the Redwood Factory. Unless your confident that your dealer has those answers.

I installed a 5000 watt inverter with a charger in my coach and can run all the creature comfort stuff. Toaster, microwave, furnace blower, and fireplace. I draw just under 2500 watts running everything at once.

Good luck on your future Redwood purchase.