Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #1

I did a search but was unable to find anything on the topic.

What have you found to beaffordable coverage for fire, theft and accident coverage?

We are currently covered by Farmers, but the annual premium is over $900.00 a year. I checked on-line and found Blue Sky RV Insurance and they only want $307.00 a year. They specialize in RV's and offer better coverage then Farmers.

Edited by: KenM
Old 06-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #2

We have Blue Sky also and have been happy. But then again, we haven't needed them. Luckily!
Old 06-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #3

Did YOU check Good Sam's? We are starting to look for full time RV INSURANCE.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RifRaff

Yes we did. They were more than Blue Sky, not has high as Farmers and the coverage was not as good as Blue Sky. Edited by: KenM
Old 06-15-2013, 01:17 AM   #5

I've got state fram on everything if I remember it was aroun $500.00 a year
Beechguyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:35 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RifRaff
I checked Good Sam's but I thought they were twice as much as others. We ended up with Cincinnati insurance, who also does our business as well. But I think we're going to start looking around again to double check them.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:19 AM   #7

We went with Good Sam's/GMAC on insurance and extended Maintenance coverage and have a Camping World by us. They even cover and service my Honda EU6500IS Inverter generator.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #8

Last time I checked, I found GMAC had the best rates for us...$308.00/yr (500.00 deductible) andit included personal effects ($3,000).
Like mentioned before "so far so good"!
2013 36 RL
subdoc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #9

I am waiting to hear back from Blue Sky to see how they compare to USAA/Foremost.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper
I am waiting to hear back from Blue Sky to see how they compare to USAA/Foremost.

I use USAA for my other vehicles. They couldn't match GMAC forour 5er.
2013 36 RL
Old 06-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #11

There are so many factors that affect what you pay for insurance that it is hard to compare one persons insurance with another. Some of these are whether you have actual value or replacement value, fulltimers coverage or not, what your deductible is, what your liability coverage is, what add on coverage like awnings and roof mounted dish you have, and one big difference is where your address is. We changed our mailing address to a location about 1 mile from where it was before which changed our zip code, and it made a few dollars difference in our premium. Every couple years I will do an insurance comparison with different companies using our present coverage. This lets me see if I am getting the best bang for my buck. A companies rates can change depending on what their losses have been so what was the best rate now may not be the best a couple years from now.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflame
There are so many factors that affect what you pay for insurance that it is hard to compare one persons insurance with another. Some of these are whether you have actual value or replacement value, fulltimers coverage or not, what your deductible is, what your liability coverage is, what add on coverage like awnings and roof mounted dish you have, and one big difference is where your address is. We changed our mailing address to a location about 1 mile from where it was before which changed our zip code, and it made a few dollars difference in our premium. Every couple years I will do an insurance comparison with different companies using our present coverage. This lets me see if I am getting the best bang for my buck. A companies rates can change depending on what their losses have been so what was the best rate now may not be the best a couple years from now.

You make some very good points.

Thanks.
2013 36 RL
Old 06-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdoc4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflame
Â*
You make some very good points.
Â*
Thanks.
I remember some of the guys that set the trailer up for Montana or somewhere up the having there insurance almost double in costEdited by: Beechguyjim
Old 06-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #14

They may have set up an LLC and had it own the RV -- if you're in a state withhigh sales/use tax, and you create an LLC or other entity in a state with low or no sales/use tax to own the RV.It saves you the taxand you don't have to become a resident of that state to registerthe RVthere, but insurance companies don't like insuring LLC's. If sued, they can just "cease to exist" and abandon the property and can't be sued personally, so their other assets are protected because they're unreachable. The LLC is a separate, different "person" legally. It becomes a situation like if you were sued, no one could reach my assets and since the RV is the only thing the LLC "person" has, the most the party suing can get is the RV. Some state are now "cracking down" on their state residents who do this to save the sales/use tax and are prosecuting those residents for "tax evasion" unless they can show that thee LLC has any purpose other than to avoid the sales/use tax.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:01 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to medic1368
We have progressive. $650 a year. Not sure how it compares. Just put in a request for Blue Sky.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #16

This has been an interesting topic for me. Blue Sky doesn't insure in Maine, Farmers is handled by21st Century, who doesn't insure RV's, which leaves Progressive, Good Sam, and ? Any info on experience with either company would be a big help to me.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott
This has been an interesting topic for me.Â* Blue Sky doesn't insure in Maine, Farmers is handled byÂ*21st Century, who doesn't insure RV's, which leaves Progressive, Good Sam, and ?Â* Any info on experience with either company would be a big help to me.
We use GMAC for the past 2 years and been happy with the rate. It is about 700.00 a year. We live in Texas so it will be different in other states.
j1251b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #18

We have progressive and are really happy with their support. In Oct 2012 we had a double blowout on the passenger side, took out the fender and the coach siding between the 2 doors and basically destroyed 2 wheels. No questions, issues, etc Progressive fixed it all and then subrogated against Goodyear and won so I received my deductible back. On a side note, we also had road hazzard insurance on the tires and that company paid for 2 tires and one wheel as one wheel, though scratched, was still able to hold air (key issue with that type of insurance).
Old 06-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #19

Just got my bill State Farm 1213 36RL everything but Genny $583.00 for year
Old 06-28-2013, 07:14 PM   #20

Just got a quote from Geico. Truck and 5th wheel for $940/year. Fiver alone for $622. That leaves $316 for the truck. Seems way to low for a $55K truck. Anybody use GEICO?