Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2020, 07:05 PM   #1

Infamous Key TV

Anyone have a Key TV system that works perfect when connected to a cable, but over the air antenna does not work? If so, any ideas what the issue may be? Where we are at this campground has over 60 over the air channels and our neighbors on both sides are getting them fine, but we are not able to get any. Actually have never been able to get over the air, but just assumed it was lack of channels..here I know it is not.
Wolfyukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 09:44 PM   #2

Our RW is a 2012 but I am somewhat familiar with the KeyTV system. Make sure the coax to your TV is connected to air output. The other is sat/cable. The KeyTV splitters all have 2 outputs so make sure your tv is connected to the proper one.

2012 36RL, Full Body Paint, Dual Awning, Dual a/c, Splendide Combo, Fisher Paykel dishwasher, 6.5kW Onan, Goodyear G614's. 2015 F550 6.7l, 4X4, Lariat, CC, 176" WB, Long Box, B&W Companion
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:00 PM   #3

On the 2021 Key TV system, each plate has a CAT/ANT and a SAT connector. System is supposed to automatically determine Air or Cable. In my water bay where the module is located, if you have SAT you connect separately to the KEY Module for that, then change your cables at each plate for SAT. Otherwise AIR or Cable are the same connections. ( Think they might have changed with the popularity of Satellite)
On the back of the module it has coax connections for up to 4 of the KEY wall plates, an FM antenna connection and a rooftop Antenna connection. ( Cable connects on the front just like a Satellite). I disconnected the antenna coax(supposedly coming in from the roof antenna) and switched the FM coax over to the antenna input. In theory, they both are feeding off the same roof antenna. However, when I do this, I now can get a couple dozen over the air channels. So next step is to see if the Antenna COAX that is supposed to go to the roof top unit, does in fact go up to the roof and is properly connected. Think my trouble shooting eliminated the KEY module. I direct connected the antenna coax from the roof directly to the TV's and got nothing, so thinking it is a cable issue at the rooftop unit. Thanks for responding!
Old 12-13-2020, 11:10 PM   #4

Some on the Montana forum have reported that for them to get the OTA Antenna to work, they had to remove the cable for the Parks cable system. Many have cussed and discussed the problems and issues with the Key System.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 02:42 AM   #5

I am attaching the scans from the Key TV quick guide. Might help. Does inform you to disconnect cable and sattelite to use over the air channels. Hope this helps someone with the KEY TV system.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img206.jpg (369.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg img207.jpg (299.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg img208.jpg (227.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg img209.jpg (237.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg img210.jpg (482.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg img211.jpg (479.5 KB, 4 views)

2012 36RL, Full Body Paint, Dual Awning, Dual a/c, Splendide Combo, Fisher Paykel dishwasher, 6.5kW Onan, Goodyear G614's. 2015 F550 6.7l, 4X4, Lariat, CC, 176" WB, Long Box, B&W Companion
Old 12-20-2020, 11:16 AM   #6

Thanks for the guide. The issue with ours is the coax from the antenna on the roof to the Key controller module in the water bay. When I switch the ANT coax and the FM Coax on the controller I can pick up over the air channels. Even hooking the ANT coax up direct to a TV is dead air.
Hoping I can troubleshoot the issue on the roof and that the cable from the roof to the controller is a straight run and not broken. Otherwise I will just keep using the FM cable.
Thanks for the guide, would have been helpful if Keystone actually included it in the coach's paperwork.
Old 12-20-2020, 12:41 PM   #7

I would carefully inspect the coax ends. If one of the tiny whiskers of wire for the shielding is touching the center signal wire the system could consider that a short and not work properly. Hopefully your cable from the roof antenna to your wet bay is intact.