Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2020, 11:16 PM   #1

Increasing Payload

If a unit has had the 7K axles changed out to 8K does that mean the payload and GVWR of the RV is increased by 2K?

The unit we are looking at has a payload of just under 2400 with a GVWR of 16.5K with the 7K axles. This unit has had a bunch of things added to it, including an Onan generator that is 290 lbs. It looks like all of the additions have added probably 600-800 lbs. This assumes that the axles weigh the same which they probably don’t. This extra weight is a huge hit on an already small RV payload.

I’m not worried about the truck as the towing GVWR is 20K and 29.5K total for all. Truck payload has plenty of room also.

I’m concerned we will be exceeding the legal GVWR of the RV at the 2400/16.5K and would put extra wear on the unit. We have 240 lbs of dogs and if we plan to be gone for 6+ months at a time or go to full time we could have lots of stuff. I guess I would need to consider a diet also. LOL

Thoughts?
Chris and David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 03:11 AM   #2

The best option would be head to the scales & get actual weights rather than us guessing.
Legally though if the manufacturers tag on the rv states 16.5k that's the max weight regardless of any upgrades.
Just a FYI, the max tow weight advertised for your truck, or any other, doesn't mean to much as when towing 5th wheels you exceed the truck payload posted on the yellow/white tag on the drivers door before you'll ever be able to carry that max weight.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 02:39 PM   #3

If you ignore the legal side of it, a stock RW with 7K axles is 16.5K, yet if you add the 8K axle option it suddenly goes to 17.9K and in our case that limit was only because of the OEM Tri-Glide King Pin was only rated for 18K.
What you chose to do is your business, just keep in mind if involved in an accident it could come back and bite you in the butt.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 02:47 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply. I would likely be in the same boat as I believe the pin box is 18k also. But an extra 1400 lbs would be a big improvement to regain some of what is lost from the things that were added.

If we changed out the pin box to a 20k would that mean we gain the full 2k? I will have to check and see if RW recertified the unit GVWR we are looking at when the new axles were put on. He took it back to the factory to get the axles, disc brakes, trail air pin box, generator etc done.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:38 PM   #5

I AGREE WITH EVERY POST ABOVE! In my case I have just under 13,000 lbs on the tires but I had 7000 lbs axles and brakes. Now I have 8000lb MorRyde IS with 8000lb disk brakes , The IS added about 800lbs of steel more then the factory steel springs. It still has 16,500lb gross weight tag , leagaly all I did was reduce my payload by the 800 lbs the IS added. I will say that any Redwood rated at 16,500 most likely is over GVW and close to over weight on the tires with 7000 lb axles. I dont have the trailer stufffed full like we are full timers but its is well stocked every time we go any place. Water is the easiest item to run lean and not fill for short trips .
Old 11-23-2020, 12:28 AM   #6

OK, to add a little confusion factor here. Our unit was ordered with 8K axles, but we had the MORryde 8K installed instead. When our unit arrive the sticker on the front corner listed us as 7K axles and 16.5 GVWR, after a few calls and e-mails finally got a sticker that denoted 8K axles and 17.9K GVWR, BUT guess what: the cargo capacity is listed the same for both 7K and 8K. I know without a doubt that we're way past that just like we're past the 17.9K, but we've got 50K miles on it with some travel on roads in the Canadian Maritime including Newfoundland and all the way up to Thompson, Manitoba and have had zero suspension issues. I also have my Dually registered for 15K GVWR vs the GM 13.25K
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
Old 11-23-2020, 01:15 AM   #7

Thanks for the info. Our truck is rated for 14.5k lbs and it’s scaled weight is right around 9.1k lbs with about 10 gal fuel, 5th wheel hitch and empty auxiliary tank. This leaves us 5.4K lbs of payload so we are good there. Currently it has an 18k hitch. We may need to upgrade that depending on which unit we end up with. The RW would max it out. Not sure I want to cut it that close for safety reasons.
Old 11-23-2020, 01:18 AM   #8

Thanks. Ford gives the towing capacity for both conventional and 5th wheel trailers. It is 4K bigger for the 5th wheel. 16k conventional, 20k 5th wheel.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:15 PM   #9

Just keep in mind that whatever you do to the trailer, like upgrading your axles, springs, or going to a larger IS, the legal sticker is the legal weight. In just about every case, the only one that can change that label is the Manufacture. And just about all of them will not change the label for you. I have heard of it happing one time. That was by Van Leigh.

So what you get when you do upgrades to your trailer is "Peace of Mind". You know that you have done everything to your trailer that you can, to help with the fact that the Manufactures do not give us enough carry capacity to put much in these things. I was told that just about at least 75% of those that are full-time are overweight!
2psnapod2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 05:44 PM   #10

We full-timed in our '13 36FB for 6+ years loaded with everything we wanted or needed in the truck & RW.
The only upgrades were the MorRyde heavy shackle/wet bolt kit in the 1st 5-6k miles of ownership & the Titan disc brakes with Sailun 17.5" tires/wheels 2 years before we sold it.
Had it weighed several times at Cat scales & once by Smart Weigh per axle of truck & trailer & every time we were right at 16.5k on the RW, 25-50lbs +/-, the kitchen side was on the heavy side, not much could be done to lower it & good all around in the dually GMC.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 04:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2psnapod2 View Post
Just keep in mind that whatever you do to the trailer, like upgrading your axles, springs, or going to a larger IS, the legal sticker is the legal weight. In just about every case, the only one that can change that label is the Manufacture. And just about all of them will not change the label for you. I have heard of it happing one time. That was by Van Leigh.

So what you get when you do upgrades to your trailer is "Peace of Mind". You know that you have done everything to your trailer that you can, to help with the fact that the Manufactures do not give us enough carry capacity to put much in these things. I was told that just about at least 75% of those that are full-time are overweight!
I ordered my 31SL with 8000lb axles, Disc brakes, and H rated tires from the factory. When I received my trailer, they had the stickers for the lighter weight GVWR. Before I took delivery, they sent the proper vin specific labels to the dealer showing 17.9K. Like Michelle said, the 18K hitch is the limiter.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:22 PM   #12

I read that replacing tandem 8k axles with MORryde IS adds about 500 lbs (reduces from payload). Does this added weight sound correct?
Nedshred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 01:03 AM   #13

That figure is probably in the Ball Park. The IS is a bunch hefty steel assemblies compared to the light weight OEM axle assemblies.