Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2020, 10:22 PM   #1

InCommand and On Demand/Tankless Water Heater Issues??

Hey folks,

Has anyone upgraded your water heater to a tankless unit? Was told by a dealer today that Redwood recommended that NOT be done as they have not tested that on their InCommand system and can't say if it would even work and/or throw off other systems controlled by InCommand. Appreciate any feedback...

Lookin' HARD at the new RW4001LK

Lisa, Bill & Kiana (our spoiled Malamute)
2020 Chevy Silverado High Country CC DRW
2021 Redwood 4001LK "Big Blue"
ljvda1221@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:14 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
I would not get the on demand. Parents new winnebago motor home had them replaced 4 times and finally put in a regular water heater
Old 01-29-2020, 07:24 PM   #3

I would not recommend the on demand water heater for an RV. I pay for an electric site and I will use the electric side of the water heater. I will use the LP side if electric is not available. I can also turn both on to have a faster recovery time, buit with a 12 gallon water heater we have never ran out of water for showering.Most of the on demand type require you to turn flow down to get hotter or warmer temp water, or turn flow faster to make water temp cooler. I love the 199,000 btu tankless water heater in my sticks and bricks but wouldn't have one in our Redwood if you installed it for free. Just my personal opinion.

2012 36RL, Full Body Paint, Dual Awning, Dual a/c, Splendide Combo, Fisher Paykel dishwasher, 6.5kW Onan, Goodyear G614's. 2015 F550 6.7l, 4X4, Lariat, CC, 176" WB, Long Box, B&W Companion
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 12:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
I would not get the on demand. Parents new winnebago motor home had them replaced 4 times and finally put in a regular water heater
Sounds like an Atwood. We had a 2015 Winnebago Adventurer that had an Atwood tankless water heater and we had to replace it 3 times in 2 years. So yes, that was a horrible experience. We now have a Grand Design TT with a Suburban tankless water heater and I absolutely love that thing. We've never had a problem with it in the year that we've been using it.

Old 01-30-2020, 12:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by r time soon View Post
I would not recommend the on demand water heater for an RV. I pay for an electric site and I will use the electric side of the water heater. I will use the LP side if electric is not available. I can also turn both on to have a faster recovery time, buit with a 12 gallon water heater we have never ran out of water for showering.Most of the on demand type require you to turn flow down to get hotter or warmer temp water, or turn flow faster to make water temp cooler. I love the 199,000 btu tankless water heater in my sticks and bricks but wouldn't have one in our Redwood if you installed it for free. Just my personal opinion.
Thanks for the info about using both elec and LP for faster recovery time. I wasn't aware you could do that. Our very first TT had a 10 gal tank and it was a bummer running out of hot water and waiting for it to recover. It's also good to know that with the 12 gal you are not running out of hot water for showers; my husband and I were concerned about that.

We contacted Redwood directly for an answer to this question and their response was that they built their units by very specific specifications and if you make ANY modifications within your warranty period it voids your warranty. So it looks like we will just bite the bullet for the first two years of the warranty and then upgrade to either a Suburban (which we've had for the last year with no issues) or a Truma. For us, the convenience of having unlimited, on demand hot water far outweighs having to pay for LP.

Old 01-30-2020, 02:25 AM   #6

Fulltimed for 6 years in our RW with the 12 gallon wh with washing machine, dishwasher & 2 of us showering & never ran out of hot water. Did add the Oxygenics shower head & used the shut off valve on it so water wasn't constantly running.
Even with a couple of our granddaughters taking their extended showers wasn't an issue heating on elec & propane, when the water got cold they got out, after about a 30+ minute shower.
Don't think I'd spend the $$$ to rebuild a system that already works.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote