Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2014, 05:57 PM   #1

How long do you keep your rigs?

I've noticed everyone seems to have brand new RW's or within a few years old. Do you trade up often? I know Thor's been around a while but has Redwood
We bought our Class A in 2006 and then last month traded up to the Redwood. Thinking we love it and will keep it for a long time
Old 11-14-2014, 06:06 PM   #2
Traveling

HI Char; Well, I expect it's because Redwoods are a relatively new brand! Nobody is going to have one more than (I think) 3-4 years old. We are hoping to keep ours for a good long time, but if they come out with something KNOCK-OUT design wise, I don't know how much self-restraint I have! One thing I know for sure, whomever was to purchase our existing RW would have a "better than new" rig with all warranty work completed and nice upgrades made and excellent TLC!! :-) NO it's not for sale yet! Haha!
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:12 PM   #3

Hi Theresa, We have no thoughts either, until we retire anyway. We were going the Diesel Class A upgrade route but holy cow what a price tag and a lot less room.
I'm totally in love with.I love our front living it feels more like an apartment. Just wish we had our hitch set up and now have to wait until the spring to go anywhere I hate winter
Old 11-14-2014, 06:20 PM   #4
Traveling

I know, winter sucks. When we retire we are burning all of our socks and long pants! We have been fulltime in the RW since June and been on only a few trips, but it has been a dream, truly. Still pinching myself. As I was told, be prepared when you travel, people will STARE and POINT at you... It's a beautiful rig and sails into a park like big beautiful swan. Lovely! Motorhomes ALL feel like a bus to me. I have been in many, and cost is certainly a deal breaker. Not just purchase, but maintenance and tires. Too much money that could be used for more FUN! (Actually, even if we were wealthy, we would opt for a 5th wheel.) I also wouldn't like having the steering wheel in the living room, but everyone is different, no right or wrong for sure. I like that engine maintenance doesn't have to be done on my HOME! :-)
Old 11-14-2014, 06:49 PM   #5
Site Team

It kind of depends on each individuals financing. It used to be kind of a rule of thumb that you could trade every 3-4 years if you financed a 10 year note. That meaning that you would have more equity than debt at that time.

As for the diesel pushers....someday I'll have one simply because of the way that we travel. A fifth wheel is better after you arrive somewhere but the diesel pusher is better for the journey. The diesel pusher is more expensive to acquire, maintain and drive. And nothing hurts a diesel more than just sitting (lot rot) The MH also have more basement storage.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:52 PM   #6
Traveling

You are right Dave, I always envy the basement storage they have, AND their horsepower. A DP can pretty much take any cargo you want and pull something besides. Probably the biggest negative on the RW is the limits on cargo. Every item that comes in gets a subconscious "weigh in" in my mind. It would be nice not to have to worry about that.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:53 PM   #7

Well lets see: We kept our first TT for 15 years, our second just a little over 2 as it was a piece of junk. Our first 5er, a Montana we had for just under 2 1/2 years, just wanted more room so it was traded on our RW. We love our RW36RL and have had minimum issues in the 2 1/2 years we've been in it, plus have added some major upgrades, but with all the changes and additions, we're seriously looking at the 39MB or the 38RL. This would also depend on RW making a deal with Mor/ryde for the IS upgrade during the build phase.
Hope to talk to Hilton at the Tampa Show in Jan and will go from there.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:56 PM   #8
Traveling

Todd and both agree that the suspension and tires are the weak link for us. They need a beefier system. Yes, it would cost more for sure, but there is just too skinny of a margin for cargo/water/etc. I don't like travelling near limits. But, everything comes at a cost, and pretty soon you are right up there with the DRVs and New Horizons!
Old 11-14-2014, 06:59 PM   #9
Site Team

Michelle...I think you're right. The 38 RL and the 39MB are my favorites as well. And I believe Redwood is making a mistake not cooperating on the IS system.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:17 PM   #10

I think if RW wants to play with the Big Boys, they really need to offer the IS as an option, just like the 17.5 wheels and H tires. If not, we may have to look into some other options.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:22 PM   #11
Traveling

Yes, it might be nice to keep it an option so those that are more stationary and don't travel much don't feel the need for a better system. I'm not sure what we'll end up doing, but extensive travel on our existing (factory) system it probably not an option.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:36 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
I think if RW wants to play with the Big Boys, they really need to offer the IS as an option, just like the 17.5 wheels and H tires. If not, we may have to look into some other options.

Well said....I agree completely
Old 11-14-2014, 08:50 PM   #13
Dan

We are retired now sooooo not much of an income to work with therefore I am hoping to get around 15 years out of this beauty

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 01:48 PM   #14

We have kept previous Travel Trailers and 5th Wheels for anywhere from 3 to 9 years.
Our current Redwood we hope to keep for a at least 4 to 5 years, then when we get ready to retire, we will look and see if we trade again or keep this one, guess time will tell.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 02:56 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
We are retired now sooooo not much of an income to work with therefore I am hoping to get around 15 years out of this beauty

No reason why you can't. The nice thing about rv is that you can fix about anything on them and they're not very complicated to fix. The main thing is to keep the water out.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:44 PM   #16

We only vacation with ours - and store indoors, so we seem to run about 7 years before we start looking. We don' look because ours is worn out, but because the features on the new ones tend to draw me in and it gets to the point you can't retrofit your old one as cost effectively as you can just to replace it.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:58 AM   #17

I just visited with a diesel pusher owner with a dual rear wheel tag axle,that just replaced his tires. Granted they were over 7 years, old but dropped a cool $6,000. he said he replaced one with a Michelin for $1100 then had to shop around. To rich for my blood.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:08 AM   #18

I am going for 10 plus. But like AA said, sometimes the new stuff is neat.
Six year old aussie shepard (Remy)
Semi retired, looking for somewhere to go
Hard to stay home with this much stuff
redwoodin with remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 01:09 AM   #19

Well we purchased or 36FL in 2012 and have over 50K miles thusfar. We have upgraded to MorRyde IS, Disc Brakes, H rated tires, new "lifetime" guarantee sprayed on roof (rvroof.com), TriGlide pin box, and new antenna that you do not have to raise or lower. We really enjoy our coach and are looking forward to many more years of enjoyment.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:19 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLJDM View Post
Well we purchased or 36FL in 2012 and have over 50K miles thusfar. We have upgraded to MorRyde IS, Disc Brakes, H rated tires, new "lifetime" guarantee sprayed on roof (rvroof.com), TriGlide pin box, and new antenna that you do not have to raise or lower. We really enjoy our coach and are looking forward to many more years of enjoyment.
Hell John, you're replacing yours one piece at a time