Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2016, 02:27 PM   #1

How do you adjust tip outs

After our great 4th of July weekend when we got home to unpack I was putting out the living room slides and heard a horrible noise from the far end of the trailer. Came to all stop and spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out what happened. Turns out a picture we had hanging on the back end couch side had bounced off the hook (I don't remember hitting any big bumps, tail of the dog I guess) and fallen down right behind the tip out and as I put it out it jammed up and popped the molding off. Now that I've had time to think I decided there was more noise then just the molding, so I counted the gears on the rack and pinion and the back side is 2 less then the front side. Everything looks fine when it's out and in. Everything lines up and the it looks tight all the way around. Should I worry about the difference and how do I adjust if it is a problem
robkathybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkathybat View Post
After our great 4th of July weekend when we got home to unpack I was putting out the living room slides and heard a horrible noise from the far end of the trailer. Came to all stop and spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out what happened. Turns out a picture we had hanging on the back end couch side had bounced off the hook (I don't remember hitting any big bumps, tail of the dog I guess) and fallen down right behind the tip out and as I put it out it jammed up and popped the molding off. Now that I've had time to think I decided there was more noise then just the molding, so I counted the gears on the rack and pinion and the back side is 2 less then the front side. Everything looks fine when it's out and in. Everything lines up and the it looks tight all the way around. Should I worry about the difference and how do I adjust if it is a problem
You can go to Lci.com and download information on how to adjust your hydraulic slides but I don't think you have an issue with the gears not being the same. Basically what you have with each hydraulic slide is 2 rams that control the in and out movement. The ram that has the hydraulic(chrome)rod attached is the active ram and the other ram is the passive ram. The passive ram just mirrors what the active ram is telling it to do. If the entire slide (both ends) do not seat the properly when they close and meet the sides of the fifth wheel then there are 2 nuts on the active ram that need to be adjusted and they control the entire room in and out movement. If one end of the room does not match the other end then you have to synchronize the room movement by adjusting the bracket at the end of the passive ram. There are also adjustments for up and down at the ends of both rams. I will mention, if you decide to make adjustments, make very small adjustments and you will need help and you will probably need a jack and 2x4 to take the weight off the brackets prior to adjusting. My son and I have accomplished this so if I can be of assistance private message me. It sounds like yours are adjusted properly. If you are still under warranty I would not recommend you adjusting them but take to a dealer and let them. It won't take them long if they know what they are doing.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote