Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2015, 01:13 PM   #1

How do I boost shore power

Question for you electricians.
We may have to move into the RV before PGE gets power to the site. I am currently plugged in through a 200 foot run extension cord. This gives me the power I need to run the basic items but only 1 or 2 at a time. A lot of voltage drop.

Here is my question; Is there a way to still use the extension cord but boost the power with a generator? I dont want to back- feed the extension cord.

Does that make sense?
ichabod123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:45 PM   #2
Site Team

You can reduce your voltage drop by running a heavier power cord. here is a link to see the wire required Wire Size Calculator

Other than that, they do sell voltage regulators for RVs but the 50 amp through camping world is $729
Old 03-23-2015, 01:48 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod123 View Post
We may have to move into the RV before PGE gets power to the site. I am currently plugged in through a 200 foot run extension cord. This gives me the power I need to run the basic items but only 1 or 2 at a time. A lot of voltage drop.

Here is my question; Is there a way to still use the extension cord but boost the power with a generator? I dont want to back- feed the extension cord.

Does that make sense?
When I run my generator, power does not run back through my power cord due to the switch box that was part of the Generator prep. If you're running a stand alone generator, feed back can happen.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:11 PM   #4
Site Team

I would look for a 12 or 14 gauge cord in a Home Depot, Lowes or even on line.
The lower the gauge number the larger the cord.

Lacking that, I think I would be tempted to get some outdoor 12/2 and wire plug ends on it. I'm not an electrician and the standard disclaimer applies ~ if it goes wrong, I never said to do it.

Understand though, that you are never going to be able to run much on a 15-20a circuit.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:33 PM   #5
Site Team

depending on what you're wanting to run, you can buy a 250 ft roll of underground 10/2 for around $160. I don't believe you'll be able to run the a/c due to voltage drop.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:48 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod123 View Post

Does that make sense?

If you are connecting to a 15 or 20 Amp (120 VAC) source, it does not make any difference how large of an extension cable you use. The source itself is only capable of supplying enough current for a very few loads without tripping the circuit breaker. If you have to run 200 feet to the source, you should be using at least 10 gauge (or larger) cable to minimize voltage loss.

If you already have the generator (and the Redwood installed transfer switch), I would recommend you run the generator as much as possible. If you don't have the transfer switch, that Redwood installs as part of the generator prep package, I would recommend that you disconnect your extension cable, then connect your generator any time you need more power. Without the transfer switch, you cannot connect the generator at the same time as you are connected to shore power or you will burn up the generator.

If you have the option to connect to a 50 Amp, 240 VAC source, you could make up 50 Amp cable with 6 gauge (or larger) cable and 50 Amp connectors, but, you will likely pay a few hundred dollars.........might as well buy a generator.

Hope this helps.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote