Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2012, 04:34 PM   #1

Our 2013 Redwood 36RL has a cabinet between fridge and convection oven, side next to fridge is always hot, hot days with sun on road side will increase temp to touch on the wall, varm any other time. Does anyone else have same problem, and what did you do to remedy situation?. Thanks for all the help.
John8545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #2

I have the same coach. I placed a prop under the door at the top of the fridge to off load some of the heat build up. I thought about putting vent slots in the that door to accomplish the same thing. But as yet we are only just four weeks old and we are doing other fixes. Good luck.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #3

We also have a 35RL and the heat build up is substantial in the cabinet next to the fridge as well as the small space above it. Some kind of ventilation would help the situation. I don't think it's enough heat to cause a fire but it isan issueto keep an eye on.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #4

Obviously, can't keep food in there.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:05 PM   #5

A couple of more reasons for Redwood to offer a residential fridge option, I'm hopeful they will be offering them soon, I will not havea Dometic/Norcold in my fiver
Defiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #6

Just noticed water on the floor under the fridge. got to checking and found the water line to the ice-maker was laying against a hot area of the fridge (from outside) and put a small spary hole. I was able to tape the line up for a quick/temporary fix. I could not find a cut off valve outside so I will be adding one this weekend. I did move the hose so it was not resting on anything warm.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #7

another repair by the consumer.

Lillyputz
Old 07-20-2012, 11:32 PM   #8

Happy camper check under your sink way in the back. May have to use a light and mirror to see it but the ice maker water line has a cutoff there. At least ours did.
DonMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:33 PM   #9

The island kitchen sink.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:39 PM   #10

Ref the hot area next to the refrig. I also have the same heat problem. Upon checking I see that there is a sort of pipe to vent the refrig heat up. I am thinking to put some insulation like Redwood did on the furnace. Something that will not burn or melt as there is no insulation there just pipe vent,air,wood. Another nice job on the Redwood design. Cut corners I guess.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:14 AM   #11

Thanks for the tip on shut off valve. I will lokk first thing in AM - still plan to relocate one a little more accessable.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyputz

Lillyputz
Are you serious? I've known people with 1/2 million dollar RV's and they all have a tool box for a reason. If you don't like fixing things ....go on a cruise or get an apartment. Then it's always someone elses problem.

Unless you get into the white house....then you just blame others
Old 07-21-2012, 10:25 PM   #13

Well said
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyputz
Â*
Lillyputz
Are you serious?Â* I've known people with 1/2 million dollar RV's and they all have a tool box for a reason.Â* If you don't like fixing things ....go on a cruise or get an apartment.Â* Then it's always someone elses problem.

Unless you get into the white house....then you just blame others
Old 07-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #14

Dave & Genny....If I send you my 2 RCA DVD players will you take your tool box and fix them for me? My second AC that will not work also. Thanks
Old 07-22-2012, 01:22 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMac

Dave & Genny....If I send you my 2 RCA DVD players will you take your tool box and fix them for me? My second AC that will not work also. Thanks
I won't argue with the fact that things don't always work on an RV. These trailers are complicated homes without foundations that shake and vibrate down the road. ALL RV's regardless of cost have these problems.

Right now my Onan generator wont start and one of my slide motors went out. I have 2 options, #1 call the service folks and get it fixed or #2 blame Redwood since they along with most other RV manufacture uses these brands.

I'm a problem solver not a bitcher. If I can fix it I will, otherwise I'll send it in for service. The company so far has stood by their product with me and I can't say that about previous RV manufactures I've dealt with. I can only judge the company by how they treat me since there's always 2 sides to a story. I treat them with the respect that they deserve and they do the same to me.

As for the hot refrigerators....they have LP running to them. LP is a heat source and if they don't get hot then they're not working (something else to complain about). Simply put dishes in the cabinets next to the refrigerator and call it good. See problem solved

This has turned from an informative forum to a bitch session.....what a shame.

Davism..."There are those that do......There are those that don't.....And then the others just complain about how it should have been done"

Edited by: Dave&Ginny
Old 07-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #16

Dave you picked that up from the White House
Old 07-23-2012, 12:44 AM   #17

Sounds like I could sell my swamp land in Florida to someone. My hot frig is working on electric not propane. Fact.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #18

The forum should be for good or bad about your Redwood product. Maybe we should not complain about any problems on this form. Thenif someone is interested in buying a Redwood, they could justask any Redwood saleman or call the factoryand tell them. I'm interested in buying a Redwood. Then ask what type, or kind of complaintshave you had on your units. I'm sure they would give you an honest answer.

Lillyputz
Old 07-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #19

Complaining about problems is a form of pointing good or bad with anything, and if there is more then one post on any item, its a good way to point good or bad of item. I wish I had that kind of sorce when I was in market for my fifth wheel.
John8545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMac
Sounds like I could sell my swamp land in Florida to someone. My hot frig is working on electric not propane. Fact.
Your refrigerator should be a dual fuel unit. That means it runs off of LP while traveling down the road and electric while your rig is plugged into A/C power source. Both of these power sources create heat to make the unit cool.