Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2014, 06:13 PM   #1

Hole in roof.

I have a 2012 RE and was up on the roof the other day and found a good size hole on the right side of the forward a/c unit under the roof material. What I would like to know is what size is the decking on the roof? I am going to remove the a/c unit repair all the damage then reinstall the a/c unit. We are full time and currently doing a gate attendant job and only get one day off a week. We can not take it to a dealer as it would take to long for them to make the repair.

John
Camphost
j1251b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1251b View Post
I have a 2012 RE and was up on the roof the other day and found a good size hole on the right side of the forward a/c unit under the roof material. What I would like to know is what size is the decking on the roof? I am going to remove the a/c unit repair all the damage then reinstall the a/c unit. We are full time and currently doing a gate attendant job and only get one day off a week. We can not take it to a dealer as it would take to long for them to make the repair.

John

The roof decking is 7/16 inch plywood.

I carry with us roof calking and a vinyl prepare kit with self adhesive vinyl band aids. On my old trailer I had a limb spear my roof in a storm and one of these band aids lasted for the 8 years I had the trailer. Don't get too worried...it's an easy fix.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #3

Eternabond is also an incredible product. I think they guarantee it for 10 years. Just be sure you have the eternabond where you want it when you put it down because getting it back up is almost impossible without a heat gun. I have used it on another rig when I had a leak around a fantastic vent and I have also used it to seal where the caps meet the roof.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:21 PM   #4

We had our roof replaced during the winter because of a tiny hole which allowed water to damage the particle board. They replaced the bad particle board, added 1/4'' luan over the entine roof and then the new roof membrane. Caulked and painted to match. I must admit the material that the industry now uses is not as good as the old rubber roofs when it comes to durability, but they did chaulk and leave streaks. You can't win. One of our first motorhomes had a fiberglass roof and it micro cracked itself to death. Maybe they'll start using corrugated tin. (A hundred thousand dollar shanty on wheels.) Good luck with your roof.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:52 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
The roof decking is 7/16 inch plywood.

I carry with us roof calking and a vinyl prepare kit with self adhesive vinyl band aids. On my old trailer I had a limb spear my roof in a storm and one of these band aids lasted for the 8 years I had the trailer. Don't get too worried...it's an easy fix.
Dave,
Where did you purchase the vinyl repair kit?

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:24 AM   #6
Site Team

I bought mine at a local rv supply store.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:42 AM   #7

I ran across this product website, www.rv-armor.com/. Don't know of anyone who has had this done and don't know what it costs but sounds enticing. Does anyone know of anyone who has had this done?
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:50 AM   #8

Interesting, I'll be curious to see if anyone knows about it...or has had it done.