Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2014, 11:27 PM   #1

Holding tank warming blanket

I'm going to install a warming blanket to my holding tank before heading to Fairbanks.

Any advice? Like where the tank is. Lol

Also going to be stuffing insulation where I can. Any thought here.

What about grey/black tanks? I was thinking about pouring anti freeze down the drains.
ichabod123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:22 AM   #2
Site Team

You know an old trick for the black tank is to use windshield washer fluid for flushing it in the winter while traveling in cold weather.

I was surprised to see in the basement after taking down the wall......heat ducts running straight to the holding tanks. There appears to be a 2.5 inch line running to the top area of fresh water tank and another one running over the top of the waist water tanks. So I suppose if you could keep enough heat pouring out of the furnace you'd be ok.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:45 AM   #3

That's good news to hear. Perhaps that's why they don't include "tank heaters" as an option.
2013 36 RL
subdoc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:02 AM   #4

The tanks are in the belly below the floors. Take the belly covers off from underneath. There are a lot of screws that hold them to the frame. With them down you will get access to your tanks. the layout will vary depending on model. There is room to put insulation around some of the sides of the tank but I don't know if you will be able to get much if any on the top and bottom. I also don't know about the blanket. You may be able to mount it on the bottom and still get the belly pans on. don't know how thick they are and how they mount. You may have to pull the pan and check things out for yourself.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:26 AM   #5

What time of year will you be in Alaska, or is it your home?

Mark
Old 03-18-2014, 03:16 AM   #6

WOW thanks Dave. You just saved me alot of headache. I'm glad I checked here before buying a blanket. The furnace should do just fine.
We are traveling nurses. We will be there April 12 to July 19. Very difficult finding places to overnight in April. Nothing opens til May 1st. The Canadians were great, told us to stop by and they would accommodate us some how. One told us that we could park next to his house and he would run an extension cord out for us. Go Canada. What's that all aboot
Old 03-19-2014, 03:15 PM   #7
Site Team

I'm glad I was able to help but.........do you have a generator? While traveling you could have some problems but the generator running could allow a space heater to run while on the road.. Also, if someone runs an extension cord, you must remember the longer the cord the heavier wire you need due to amperage drop.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:23 PM   #8

Yea we do. I hope we are prepared. We are taking a generator , extra fuel, extra water and extra propane.