Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2022, 04:39 PM   #1

Hitch height for dumping and flushing black tank

Hello RW owners!

Looking for advice to see if raising the front of fifth wheel helps or is required when dumping and flushing my black tank to get increased flow. I am not certain of my black tank configuration (2020 3991RD). I can only assume the black tank is configured or mounted front to rear and drains out the rear of the tank. In theory, raising the front of trailer would assist with a good dump and flush?? Currently, when I dump and give a good flush, I can get the black tank sensor to read empty, however when I add the gallon or two of water with the tank treatment, I get a reading of 2/3 right away. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Gunnerbob59.
Gunnerbob59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 05:07 PM   #2

I have my Auto Level set just a little bit high in the front, not enough to really notice inside, but helps draining our Black that is mounted in the drop down section at the front.
I would double check at see where your Auto Level point is set, maybe you have your front just a little low.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 05:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerbob59 View Post
Hello RW owners!

Looking for advice to see if raising the front of fifth wheel helps or is required when dumping and flushing my black tank to get increased flow. I am not certain of my black tank configuration (2020 3991RD). I can only assume the black tank is configured or mounted front to rear and drains out the rear of the tank. In theory, raising the front of trailer would assist with a good dump and flush?? Currently, when I dump and give a good flush, I can get the black tank sensor to read empty, however when I add the gallon or two of water with the tank treatment, I get a reading of 2/3 right away. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Gunnerbob59.
We've owned several rvs in the last 45 years & have yet to own one that those sensors are worth looking at. If you like raising flush the do so but don't expect any better sensor readings regardless of what you do, what method or what chemicals you may use.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 06:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
I have my Auto Level set just a little bit high in the front, not enough to really notice inside, but helps draining our Black that is mounted in the drop down section at the front.
I would double check at see where your Auto Level point is set, maybe you have your front just a little low.
Thanks, and I will check my level point. I'm pretty sure I am at zero, or level. I did raise the front for the flush cycle, and hopefully that provides the extra flow. Cheers!
Old 02-24-2022, 01:03 AM   #5

Hey Gunner,

I have a 2020 2991RD and this is what I found..

The black tank is mounted front to back in the front portion.. The 2 grey tanks are mounted side by side, front to back between the axles and the front.. the Black tank drains towards the rear, the 2 grey drain toward the front..

IF you need to access the 2 grey tank valves, the black tank will have to be dropped. as they overlap by a few inches...
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 06:59 PM   #6

Tank flush

The readings on your black tank are off due to residue on the sensors ie toilet paper. I have a 2013 and have found that if you are in a campground where you can run your tank flusher then hook it up and let it run about 20 minutes. Running it for just a couple of minutes won’t correct the problem. The black tank sensors are a pain to keep clean. I will not worry about it while traveling but if I get to a place where I’m going to stay for a few days and am ready to drain it due to it being full then I will clean it really good.
You will hear lots of other solutions ie ice etc. I just use the flusher. Just remember to leave the black tank open if using it.
Best of luck
Old 03-05-2022, 08:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjberry View Post
The readings on your black tank are off due to residue on the sensors ie toilet paper. I have a 2013 and have found that if you are in a campground where you can run your tank flusher then hook it up and let it run about 20 minutes. Running it for just a couple of minutes won’t correct the problem. The black tank sensors are a pain to keep clean. I will not worry about it while traveling but if I get to a place where I’m going to stay for a few days and am ready to drain it due to it being full then I will clean it really good.
You will hear lots of other solutions ie ice etc. I just use the flusher. Just remember to leave the black tank open if using it.
Best of luck
I would agree with using the black tank flusher whenever possible. It often takes me several times before I can get my sensor to show empty. However, I also shut the black valve for several minutes while using the tank flusher to allow the clean water to build up in the tank. It seems to wash it out better and will often lead to have a sensor showing empty. Just don't walk off and forget you have it running. I usually set an alarm on my phone to remind me when it is time to open the valve.
sbenhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 08:52 PM   #8

Thanks for the black flush suggestion. I will do it at my next dumping.
Take care,
Gunnerbob