Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2020, 05:58 PM   #1
DVD

Help With Slide

Hi, We have a 2017 Redwood 38GK and have been having problems with 2 things. One is the slide, the rubber seal around the Livingroom and dining room slides had to be replaced (dealer said they had to pull both slides completely out to replace seals) When we got it back we have been having problems with the larger (fridge/TV) slide. It doesn't want to go in right away, we have to wait min 30 sec before it starts to move and one end starts but then the other end is lagging and we noticed on the fridge end the wood panel on side lifts up about 1", is this normal? (see pic) Other end of slide is flush to the floor and doesn't raise up like the fridge end.
2nd problem is awning head: it wobbles and now when you close it the arm is trying to get into the track and slams, dealer said it's a defect with Carefree awnings and that we would have to keep replacing it every 2 years at a cost of 900. each time a head is replaced.

Any one else having these problems or know what is causing the problem?
slide by fridge.jpg
Thanks
Dana
DVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 07:37 PM   #2

I'd take it back to whomever pulled the slides & have correct what they messed up.....
As for the awning if there's 2 large cotter pins on the top side of both ends those need to be pulled out, they were to be removed after installation, that might help the cause of the wobble. Even after pulling those pins mine still wobbled a bit but never had to replace any parts.
The slamming is probably due to the fabric being misaligned on the roller. If you remove the screws holding the fabric where it mounts to the roof chanonel then retract to just before it slams, manually align the arms so they fit perfectly over the wall mounts, retract completely to check alignment, if it needs more open to readjust & replace the screws when satisfied. Now check if it still slams shut.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:44 PM   #3
DVD

Thanks for the reply, I will get my husband to try those adjustments on the awning and get a hold of the dealer again.
DVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 12:54 AM   #4

After its all fixed, I would find a new dealer B4 going back..

ANY dealer that KNOWS anything would know both of those issues, and NOT tell you that it will cost $900 every 2 years... They do not want to work on your RV properly, they just want your money
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 01:12 AM   #5

I have a 2018 3901wb and had to have the slide seals replaced on the door side slide. The shop that performed the work, did it without removing the slide. The slide can be hyper-extended to make clearance for the seals to be replaced without taking any of the wood off inside. If the guy you have doing this work can't fix what he has messed up, I would take it to a shop that has experience doing this job.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:05 AM   #6

I just had my seals replaced this month. No need to remove the slides to replace them. I would find a new RV tech preferably one that knows RV repair.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:14 PM   #7

Thumbs down Similar issue - different cause... according to dealer.

We have a 2018 301RL - noticed ripped slide seal at top left corner of dining side slide. We took it to a Redwood dealer, where it’d being repaired under warranty with support from Keystone/Redwood warranty division.

I have been told that the seal has been replaced but the repair will not last because when the slide is extended it goes out of square, and when retracted pressure is put on the seal in the corner. Dealer was instructed by Redwood to build beefed up plywood corners to keep slide square. They did this, but it didn’t hold/last. They are now having metal corners made to be installed as directed by Redwood... Has anyone heard of an issue like this before? It seems like a logical explanation to me but I don’t understand why it would be out of square in the first place, and wonder how common of a problem this may be? Thanks in advance for any / all responses!
EMagnuson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 07:41 PM   #8

I was told the same thing when I had my 2018 slide seals replaced under warranty. The tech told me that the when the factory routers cut out the wall skins that sometimes the cut out for the slide wall is out of square. During the fabrication of the slide box the factory just builds the slide box out of square to match the slide outer wall cut out. They should be checking that the slide box assembly is square before attaching the outer panel to it. This is the cause of most of the seal problems and the fix involves removal of the slide and disassembling it and reassembling it square to solve the issue. Mine was able to be adjusted just enough to make it work but time will tell. My bedroom slide seal needs repair again after less than a year since it was done in 2019 so I could have the same issue with that slide out box.