Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2016, 01:51 AM   #1

Help with microwave/convection oven please!

What are manuals coming to these days? I've read the manual and still can't determine whether I can use the glass microwave tray when I'm doing convection cooking. There is a metal rack for convection, but it specifically says to only use that when cooking on 2 levels. I'm only cooking 1 item. But there was no other tray that came with the appliance. I've never used a convection oven, so I don't know what to do. We have a new Redwood 38GK, and it's a Whirlpool microwave/convection oven.....model YWMH76719. Please help! Thanks so much!
fiddleddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:49 AM   #2

Hi fiddleddd, the glass turn-plate in the oven can stay in during both cycles. I had wondered that too when we first got our Redwood. A great resource is the website myrvkitchen.com. It is Evada Cooper's website and she does a great job of walking us through some of these applications that are new to us. I persevered using the micro/convection.....and now I really do love it.--Debbie
Bob and Debbie (both retired) with Senior FurBabies Grizz (a German Shepherd mix) and Bailey (a Lab mix)...and sometimes a Grandkiddo or 2! Full Time RVers since July 2013 Redwood: 2012 36FL with sliding patio doors
Tow Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD with 6.6 DuraMax Dually
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:05 AM   #3

Grizzby

Debbie, Hey, thanks so much! I did Google about the subject and many people (tho' with other brands of micro/conv) said their glass trays had broken. So I was afraid to risk it. I just can't believe the manual doesn't specify. I'll check out the site you recommend. Maybe I'll glean some good info on how to convert my 45 years of traditional cooking over to convection. :-) Thanks, again!
Old 04-20-2016, 03:33 AM   #4

When traveling, do you leave the glass dish in the Microwave or take it out and store it.

In the beginning I left the dish in but after thinking about it I decided to store it. Am I wasting effort storing it?
bergeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:43 AM   #5
S&K

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergeman View Post
When traveling, do you leave the glass dish in the Microwave or take it out and store it.

In the beginning I left the dish in but after thinking about it I decided to store it. Am I wasting effort storing it?
Are you talking about the glass turntable that comes with the micro/convection oven?

If so, we have never removed it (unless to clean it) and it has never shifted during travels.

2014 RW36FB
2014 F-350 CC DRW, 25K Reese, Roll-n-Loc, Rhino Liner
'Half-timer' - Full time retired, tho!
Ken & Shelley
S&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:50 AM   #6
S&K

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddleddd View Post
Debbie, Hey, thanks so much! I did Google about the subject and many people (tho' with other brands of micro/conv) said their glass trays had broken. So I was afraid to risk it. I just can't believe the manual doesn't specify. I'll check out the site you recommend. Maybe I'll glean some good info on how to convert my 45 years of traditional cooking over to convection. :-) Thanks, again!
I second what Debbie said. Check out myrvkitchen.com Evada taught us a lot about the benefits and uses of the convection part of the oven. I have used the metal rack while baking and have used metal pans/sheets and the achor-hocking glass cookware casseroles and haven't had a problem.

2014 RW36FB
2014 F-350 CC DRW, 25K Reese, Roll-n-Loc, Rhino Liner
'Half-timer' - Full time retired, tho!
Ken & Shelley
S&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 04:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&K View Post
Are you talking about the glass turntable that comes with the micro/convection oven?

If so, we have never removed it (unless to clean it) and it has never shifted during travels.
Yes, the glass turntable. Thanks, I was wondering if I was overthinking it.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:37 AM   #8

Actually, our glass turntable in the microwave DID shift, but it didn't seem to hurt anything. I may put some non-slip shelf liner around it next time.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddleddd View Post
Actually, our glass turntable in the microwave DID shift, but it didn't seem to hurt anything. I may put some non-slip shelf liner around it next time.
When we are traveling, Debbie usually uses the conv/micro for storage. She doesn't put heavy items in...normally items like bread, plastic micro cookware, pot holders, etc. Probably keeps things in place (this is speculation on my part...I'm not allowed to mess around too much in her kitchen. I have the "pleasure" of taking care of everything on the OUTSIDE of the RW).

Bob
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergeman View Post
Yes, the glass turntable. Thanks, I was wondering if I was overthinking it.
Scott, we had an incident once where the glass turntable shifted considerably and I was more concerned about the turntable breaking the plastic ring so we always store our glass turntable now when we travel. I had a vision of the microwave opening, the glass turntable falling out onto the quartz countertops and shattering the turntable and cracking the quartz!
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:11 PM   #11
Site Team

Bob ~ Tracy and I have the same arrangement. I don't mess with her kitchen and she doesn't tell mw where to put stuff in my basement. The inside is hers and the outside is mine.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Bob ~ Tracy and I have the same arrangement. I don't mess with her kitchen and she doesn't tell mw where to put stuff in my basement. The inside is hers and the outside is mine.

Thats our arrangement also
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy View Post
Scott, we had an incident once where the glass turntable shifted considerably and I was more concerned about the turntable breaking the plastic ring so we always store our glass turntable now when we travel. I had a vision of the microwave opening, the glass turntable falling out onto the quartz countertops and shattering the turntable and cracking the quartz!
Ok, I'll go back to storing it if I remember. The glass turn table could do a lot of damage during one of my high speed turns. Thanks Everyone
Old 04-20-2016, 06:46 PM   #14

Hi All....

I like all of your responses. Yes, you can leave the glass tray inside while traveling. I suppose most all of you know, we are on our 4th Redwood unit. We have never had our glass tray break while traveling. However, on unit #3, the tray did slip around while we were moving. (Why? Who knows!) The results of the slipping caused small scratches on the inside of the door where it was up against. By using a cup towel as a barrier between the tray and the door - I wrapped just the front half of the tray. Issue resolved. While traveling down the road, I also use the inside of the oven to store misc. stuff that doesn't weigh much. (paper towel roll, turning the micro. cover up side down to hold my spices that are on my spice shelf, etc.)
Here is something I would definitely recommend ......please remember to close the vent cover on the outside of your unit. Don't learn the hard way.....with that little guy falling off while going down the road one day. The wind impact is deadly!

Yes, I speak from experience. :-)

Lady E Cooper
Lady DRV - 2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450 w/Executive Office Options
LadyEcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:46 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
[QUOTE=LadyEcooper;64898]Hi All....

I like all of your responses. Yes, you can leave the glass tray inside while traveling. I suppose most all of you know, we are on our 4th Redwood unit. We have never had our glass tray break while traveling. However, on unit #3, the tray did slip around while we were moving. (Why? Who knows!) The results of the slipping caused small scratches on the inside of the door where it was up against. By using a cup towel as a barrier between the tray and the door - I wrapped just the front half of the tray. Issue resolved. While traveling down the road, I also use the inside of the oven to store misc. stuff that doesn't weigh much. (paper towel roll, turning the micro. cover up side down to hold my spices that are on my spice shelf, etc.)
Here is something I would definitely recommend ......please remember to close the vent cover on the outside of your unit. Don't learn the hard way.....with that little guy falling off while going down the road one day. The wind impact is deadly!

Yes, I speak from experience. :-)

Lady E Cooper[/QUOTE
Eveda
Can you leave the turn table in while using the oven on coveting or will it meat the turntable
Old 04-20-2016, 10:20 PM   #16

Shane,

Leave in the turntable when using either setting - microwave or convection. It was designed to work that way.

Lady E Cooper
Lady DRV - 2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450 w/Executive Office Options
LadyEcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:39 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Thanks alot
Old 04-20-2016, 11:15 PM   #18

Speaking of Convection Microwaves, my Redwood has a standard Microwave, has anybody switched out the Standard Microwave that came in their Redwood for a Convection Microwave upgrade ?
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:04 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_fla View Post
Speaking of Convection Microwaves, my Redwood has a standard Microwave, has anybody switched out the Standard Microwave that came in their Redwood for a Convection Microwave upgrade ?
Rob,
Ours came with the convection and I think ours is a little older then yours??? Did your dealer switch it out on you?

Steve
Old 04-21-2016, 04:07 AM   #20

The Convection Microwave is not standard, it is a option that was not ordered on my Redwood.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote