Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2016, 08:20 PM   #1

Heating problems

Hello all
I am having a problem with our 2014 36RL. Since new the heat pump has not worked properly. It seldom comes on and if it does it will not come back on when the temp drops. On one of its warantee visits they said all was fine.
We have been using the gas furnace and it has worked till last week, after some warm weather we needed the furnace but it will not run. The fan does not come on, there is a click in the thermostat and a click in the furnace bay but the fan does not start.
Now the strange part, since the furnace stopped working the heat pump has worked like it should.
I have run the gas line empty and turned back on and both the stove and gas water heater work fine.
Are there any wires I can connect at the thermostat that should start the furnace fan. That way I can tell if the problem is the furnace or the thermostat.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Mike

Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:25 PM   #2

Mike need more information so we can all help you out. what model are you in? Do you have two heat pumps? what Themostat are you using and do you have it set on gas hear or elec heat ?.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:47 PM   #3

We have a single heat pump for the main area. The thermostat is a RVCOMFORT.HP and we set it at the appropriate gas or electric setting.
In the time we have owned the RV the heat pump has only ever come on 3 or 4 times even though I regularly set it to elec hoping it would work. Sometimes when you set it on elec it will intermediately go to gas or nothing happens.
It has been quite a surprise at how well it works now.

Mike
Old 01-19-2016, 10:20 PM   #4

From your information it sounds like your thermostat may be miss wired. Also If the room temp is 4-5 degrees lower than thermostat setting the furnace will start immediately when it's set on elec heat. Can you tell if the furnace ignites, if not it may be the igniter, if it doesn't ignite it will run a few seconds & shut down. Just a couple thoughts, hard to diagnose from here.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:57 PM   #5

Doesn't run at all.
I tried various temps above room temp but the heat pump never came on.

Mike
Old 01-23-2016, 06:26 PM   #6

This is my first time posting to the Owners Community but felt I could provide some insight on this situation. I am in Montana and live in my RV year round. I have been having similar issues with my Suburban furnace. I would definitely check to see if you have 12 volts at your fan motor as this will tell you if the board is working properly or you can just check your main board to see if it is sending power to the motor, igniter etc. Generally speaking, if the circuit board is not working your fan motor will not come on.
bschmaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 02:47 PM   #7

I had a similar problem with our Suburban furnace (we don't have a heat pump) last winter. The symptoms were that I got a click at the thermostat (calling for heat) but nothing happened at the furnace itself. II checked the fuse (it was ok), then I called an RV tech. It turned out to be the main board which is fastened to the fan, the tech tested it by bypassing some components and got the fan running but there were some bad components. The board was replaced and everything has been fine since.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:04 PM   #8

we just got done replacing :

new sail switch
new thermostat
new squirrel cage and fan it broke in to pieces and gave the RW a burning smell.
it was doing same symptoms like yours then problem just got worse and we depend on the furnace working , we are in extreme conditions.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:05 PM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce
Question 1st time furnace use

It has finally gotten down into the thirtys and for several days it will even be into the twentys and maybe into the teens. We have never lit the furnace pilot light and or used the furnace. What do I need to do before I light the pilot? Worried about no propane in the lines and other blockages.
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 05:22 PM   #10

Royce, the furnace is electronic ignition so it lights itself. Just turn the gas heat, set the thermostat up and it will start clicking outside at the furnace as it tries to light.

Go outside and stand by the furnace. When it lights, it will push hot air out the exhaust. If it fails to light because of air in the lines you may have to shut it off and turn it back on to restart the sequence again.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 05:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
It has finally gotten down into the thirtys and for several days it will even be into the twentys and maybe into the teens. We have never lit the furnace pilot light and or used the furnace. What do I need to do before I light the pilot? Worried about no propane in the lines and other blockages.
Mine does not have a pilot light. It has electronic ignition like a spark plug. Assuming everything is clean in the furnace, you should be able to just turn it on. If you are worried about no propane, make sure everything else like the stove is working first.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:43 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
I had a problem with my heat pump not working. I removed the thermostat and found a wire came out of the connector also others were loose. I would pull the thermostat and check all the connections to make sure they are tight