Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2021, 05:50 PM   #1

Heating / AC 4001 LT

I have no choices when heating my bedroom and kitchen. Heat pump only. My living area seems to be furnace only. So do I assume the unit in the roof over the living area is an AC only unit? And I assume the furnace is to heat the living area only? If so, why is hot air coming out of the vent in the bedroom, when the area is set for living room?
kart racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:06 PM   #2

When using the furnace you should have have floor heat through out the coach. The one furnace supplies heat to all interior and under carriage of the coach.
When using the heat pump for heat you should get heat in all areas of the coach through the Vents in the ceiling blowing down. These are the same as vents that AC flows from when using the AC no matter what AC is running they are all connected.

When setting zones you can see if you have more than one HP if you see ELEC Heat in that Zone. Most likely unless you special ordered your RW you only have one HP.

Remember that the HP is only good down to about 40 degrees after that you will need to use the Furnace for heat.

There are lots of threads on the HP operations I would search them so you have a good understanding on how it works.
Old 01-15-2021, 06:53 PM   #3

One last thought. My control panel shows elect as a choice under heat, but nothing happened when I touch that button, it just stays dark. Furnace kicks on and runs fine. But I looks like no HP for the living area.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:52 PM   #4

I believe the air temperature needs to within maybe 3 or 5 degrees ambient temp to set temp for the heat pump to operate... When set to electric, the furnace will run until it gets to that difference, then the heat pump will take over
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 01:39 PM   #5

Still confused on heating system in this 4001 LT. It appears that there is only 1 heat pump and it is for the bedroom and bath. The other 2 are AC only.

Given that is true, how can I control the amount of hot air flow to the different floor vents? As it is now, a large amount of hot air comes out of the bedroom vent and very little come out of the living room and kitchen vents. I block off the bedroom vent hoping more air would come to the rest. Nope stayed the same. So most of the hot air goes into the bedroom, when meeded in the living room. Is there a dampening system somewhere?
Old 01-16-2021, 04:02 PM   #6

The heat coming from the floor vents in each room is from the propane fired furnace only, the only common connection to the furnace & hp is the thermostat or control panel. To better control the air flow you could replace the vent where the most air is coming from with a closable vent, do not close more than one as this may overheat the furnace & shut it down. The furnace does not have a 120 volt electric setting, it's only propane, but does require strong 12 volts to power it's control board & the blower.
The units on the roof of your RW are the acs & 1 being a hp, both connected to a common duct running down both sides & end to end of the attic. So if only 1 hp it will supply heat throughout the coach through the ceiling vents only.
As mentioned the hp is only efficient to about 40 degrees. Once the hp can't keep up the furnace should override the hp. Also as mentioned if setting the control if the ambient temp is 3-5 degrees below your setting the furnace will also start with the up til the temp catches up then the hp will take over.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 06:18 PM   #7

Thanks, but as I said I blocked off the vent in the bedroom and that did not change the amount of air coming to the living room vents. Why?

It now seems that the furnace does not have a fan speed adjustable setting. With the control panel set to gas, when I try to set the fan to high and the desired setting is lower than the ambient temp, the AC fan kicks on. Again, why?
Old 01-16-2021, 07:06 PM   #8

with my 3991RD, I had ALL of the hot air exiting into the bedroom and bath, with next to zero hot air in the kitchen and living area...

I pulled the register in the kitchen and placed a camera down facing the furnace and snapped a picture...

My heat duct was collapsed and would not allow air flow... Took it to an RV repair and he had to rebuild the heat duct to better then new.... NOW the flow is incredible.
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 07:24 PM   #9

Now you have 2 separate post asking the same questions??
As I stated in your other thread, it's new take it back to the dealer & while there have them explain, SHOW YOU, how you should set it & how each of the systems operate.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 02:51 PM   #10

Well after taking off the cover panel in the water bay and looking at the back of the furnace; I could see my problem. They had the ducting so messed up it could not let air go through. They had way too long of ducting and then had 90 degree turns in them. Cheapest ducting I have ever seen. The collapse when a 90 is put in.

A trained monkey could do a better job. Once I routed the ducts the correct way and sealed off the back plate of the furnace, that was leaking a ton of air; the RV warmed right up.